BA seat 60B – upstairs 747-400

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 179 total)

• pomerol
    Participant

Martin & DS

I think it is very difficult to quantify what the cost of the loss of seat 60B might be, every 747 that departed with a load factor of 98% or less in CW, would represent no loss at all, it could very well be argued that the sum in the scheme of things is very low.

I think I now know why VK was yawning and taking another sip of champagne.

Regards everyone and Happy New Year

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Overall revenues/turnover agreed, net profit, no!

“Furthermore, I described it as a ‘peculiarity’ of BA’s business, in that it may not reflect the practices of other business, perhaps in the same way that some railway companies provide free travel for employees (but other transport companies do not.)”

DS – it may be you that does not read the thread properly. I have never infered that free travel should be taken away from employees.

Besides the cost issue, this is also about some BA employees, who are using British Airways property in a manner that it was not intended to be used. Its a fine line between a perk and misuse of company property!

I suppose, the nearest comparison I can think of is airline staff using an airline lounge (when not permitted) or the manager inviting their family and friends in. No real harm done, agreed, except when revenue paying passengers cant get in due to space!

VintageKrug
    Participant

*has run out of champagne and is now tempted by the Demerol*

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Oh………..VK……….milk would be far better for you!

Mind you there is plenty of Champers left in the No1 lounge at Gatwick, mind you…………..it aint free…………….you would have to pay in here!!

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Even the aftershave on my hotel bathroom shelf is looking attractive – per the England RU team, many years ago.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

oh please DS – spare us the details, I have heard how hotel rooms can be lonely places……………….but each to their own.

Have a nice evening.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Can I go back to a thread started by Jonathan Cohen a year or so ago? The gist was about how easy it is to hide behind a pseudonym and lob insults.

Whereas, to paraphrase one of Disgusted’s earlier posts, I don’t give a flying **** about seat 60B (I’m a 1A or 1F man myself), I find it interesting that, yet again, it’s so easy for people to hide behind the shell of anonymity and insult people. How brave you are.

Whereas I don’t always agree with Martyn, and I will have run-ins with him if necessary, I respect him enormously for having the balls to use his real name and take the consequences, potentially, for what he says. He’s not a flamer or a coward like a number of the rest of you.

It’s so easy to insult when you’re not accountable. And I laud Jonathan, Jim, Martyn, Jordan, Charles, Judy, Pat and several others for having the sheer personal integrity and GUTS to be contentious AND transparent. It’s a crying shame that some of the rest of you don’t have that basic human courage and, indeed, personal integrity. You must feel SO big to insult other posters, sometimes in the most personal way, knowing there’s no come-back. I refer to my earlier postings about Dictaphones.

And for the avoidance of doubt, rest assured that I am not inferring by any means that everyone who uses a nom-de-plume (or, in some cases, nom-de-guerre) behaves in such a manner.

Have a good week.

Simon

Potakas
    Participant

Well done Simon!

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Simon Rowberry

I take offence at your posting, which seems to be a personal attack on me

1) This forum allows people to choose their user name and there are no rules that oblige anyone to declare their real names; having said that, in the event of libel or criminal action, the apparent anonymity will not protect the poster, so you are incorrect when you say there is no comeback. You have your values on using real names, please do not project them on to me, this is not your website

2) I choose to use a handle, as I have had a bad experience on another forum where someone attempted to defraud me, you may notice even with a’nom de plume’, I am still careful not to give too many traceable details – once bitten, twice shy

3) Your paraphrase is both factually incorrect, as well as defamatory, what I said was that I had never travelled as a guest of BA in seat 60B and that on the several times I had travelled as a guest, when giving advice to BA, was in a seat row between 1-5; This was fact, nothing more. I also said that I do not care about what BA does with 60B, as I choose the airline on value, not because ‘I am a 1A of 1F man”, so your comment is an unjustified personal attack

4) With the very greatest of respect to you, when someone opens up a subject and then goes on and on, taking no notice of the rational posts of others and in some cases apparently completely misunderstanding the locus to a degree that suggests it is deliberate and then attacking the point, odds on they are going to on the receiving end of some banter – this applies on internet fora as much as in other walks of life. And Martyn gives as good as he gets.

I give an example of this below (there are many in the thread, if you chose to read it with a dispassionate eye.) Although the use of the word ‘inferred’ is a little strange, it seems clear that Martyn is attacking me for not reading the thread, but to the best of my knowledge, no one on the thread has stated or implied that free travel should be taken away from anyone

“”Furthermore, I described it as a ‘peculiarity’ of BA’s business, in that it may not reflect the practices of other business, perhaps in the same way that some railway companies provide free travel for employees (but other transport companies do not.)”

DS – it may be you that does not read the thread properly. I have never infered that free travel should be taken away from employees. “

In conclusion Simon, we are all free to post what we wish on here and BT has a relaxed attitude to moderation.

If I have misinterpreted your post and it is not intended for me, then I shall delete this reply and apologize.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

DisgustedofSwiegi

THIS IS NOT A CRITISISM OR A PERSONAL ATTACK, SO PLEASE DO INTERPRET AS SUCH, THIS IS MERELY AN OBSERATION!

You appear far too sensitive a person to be posting on such an open forum. If you feel the need to write a posting in a manner that a solicitor / legal person would warn an opponent in court then I would suggest that this is not the forum for you.

This forum contains probably 30 – 40 regulars, from different walks of life who like the sportsman of rugby are able to discuss freely and openly whilst at times getting heated and a little rough. Personal attacks and rudeness are not tolerated, neither are stupid and immature comments that I as much as the next person occasionally make in return to equally stupid and immature comments. Whether these start with the real or anonymous names really doesn’t make a difference, but I do agree, that the anonymous people are the ones in hiding (for whatever reason) and have less accountability. I will further add, that as a forum, we do not judge people by their use of English, this is a travel forum not an English literature forum.

The 60B issue has become heated and different people are free to express what they feel. If those expressions have been taken as personal attacks to you, then as I previously posted, I will apologize. But respect works both ways!

The forums very own anonymous celebratory, VintageKrug, decided to make a stupid remark against me on the iPAD forum last night (connected to the 60B issue). I responded, with what was probably quite a sensible suggestion, but this is all part of the forums uniqueness.

However, my observations of the manner of your posting still leaves the question of 60B wide open, but for the sake of peace, tranquillity and your sensitivity, I suggest that we leave it for now until some new data or information comes to the forum.

As I said DS – THIS IS NOT A CRITISISM OR A PERSONAL ATTACK, SO PLEASE DO INTERPRET AS SUCH, THIS IS MERELY AN OBSERATION!

VintageKrug
    Participant

Swieqi

criticism

apologise

And, I can hardly be described as a “celebratory”, which some dictionaries might describe as “a female Conservative politician who rejects the feminism of bra burning in favour of using their undergarments as statement of their femininity”.

Must dash – meeting The Stig for a drink!

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Disgusted. It’s not a personal attack on you. I wouldn’t waste my time. It’s a general observation.
    My paraphrase was simply related to your use of the expletive “****” There was nothing defamatory in it, unlike some of the comments younposted about Martyn.
    You are factually wrong about anonymity. We discussed this with Tom Otley and his view was that any email address could be given by a poster and this could well be untraceable.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Martyn

“I suggest that we leave it for now until some new data or information comes to the forum.”

Agreed.

pomerol
    Participant

This thread seems to have developed into a ‘Lets bash DisgustedofSwiegi and anyone who does not post under their own name’

Carry on gentlemen and best of luck.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Simon Rowberry

You said “Whereas, to paraphrase one of Disgusted’s earlier posts, I don’t give a flying **** about seat 60B (I’m a 1A or 1F man myself), I find it interesting that, yet again, it’s so easy for people to hide behind the shell of anonymity and insult people.”

My post said “I doubt that BA gives a flying **** about what Martyn Sinclair (or any small shareholder) thinks.” If that was offensive to Martyn, then he has my apologies, it was not meant to be nor was it intended as banter. Nor did it link to a first class seat, the only reference to such a seat was in another post, clearly made to answer a suggestion that I was upgraded to 60B, a seat I have never occupied.

With the very greatest of respect, your paraphrase did not simply relate to my use of a deleted expletive.

And as to anonymity, I don’t doubt that you had a conversation with Tom Otley, but there are other ways that the authorities relevant to libel or crime can trace posters, without using an email address.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 179 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls