BA seat 60B – upstairs 747-400

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 179 total)

• DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

“All I will add is the next time you read a post about crew and service reductions, such as Disgusted’s often critical view on the CE offering that you think about the lost revenue of seat 60B that could easily cover the cost of 1 may be 2 cabin crew additions back on to the 747. The same seems to apply to the 777.”

Well putting crew back on the 747 and 777 will certainly upgrade the CE experience.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Disgusted, you obviously do not believe that one fleet could possibly benefit from another fleets savings. BA is leaking profit in the most visible of ways and here is a clear and easy way for significant sums to be saved by the removal of a miss used “perk”.

This is no different than cabin crew upgrading friends and then being accused of theft, when a seat allocated for crew is given to a family member or friend. If indeed this is a contractual arrangement for Captains, I wonder whether it shows as a benefit in kind for tax purposes.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

I do believe that one can generate cross fleet synergies, but not if you use the revenue to increase crewing levels on the long haul fleet, as you suggest.

Anyway, far more relevant is the view that the BA leadership holds on how shorthaul fits into the overall view of things.

IMHO it seems to be viewed as a necessary evil to fill longhaul flights.

When was the last major innovation in the CE product? (Apart from running a flying disco?)

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Disgusted, the only point is that these so called “crew seats” are clearly not being used as crew seats. The lost revenue at say £1000 a sector is not insignificant considering the number of aircraft involved and the number of the 10 hour+ sectors flown on both the 747 and 777.

I don’t think that there is any business that could afford this kind of seepage.

You may be Disgusted, but I too am disgusted…….

AlexSW1
    Participant

At the risk of giving it away, sometimes the Captain will give that seat to his / her partner if they are travelling with. That’s probably what you’ve seen on some of your flights.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

“ah ok NTarrant, obviously not all flights warrant the seat to be at the Flight crews disposal ,it is only when there are 3 or more pilots and then there is also the rule, if there is a seat in First left they can have this and give up 60B or 10J on the 777 and use First instead, maybe that solves the mystery surrounding the infamous seat 60B. As I also mentioned, they can give it up to anyone but the Captain has to agree to this, hence this seat is initally blocked on most longer flights and not available for pre assignment by Passengers”

Based on the above post on another thread I would like to reopen the question about the need for a Crew Seat either in Club World or in First class (irrespective of the seat number).

Flier74 (presumably BA Crew) confirms that it is blocked when the need arises for 3 or more pilots and the captain has the final decision as to who can occupy this seat. The fact that this seat was negotiated by BALPA for crew rest does leave the following questions unanswered:

1. Why do BA Pilots need a seat in CW blocked when there is one adequately provided for within a closed off area on the flight deck.

2. If it is needed for flight deck crew rest, why is it being used by cabin crew or travelling staff members

3. If the “crew rest seat” is a blocked seat, are non-employees (family / friends / celebrity upgrade takers) using this seat covered by the airlines liability insurance policy? I do not believe that fare paying passengers are permitted to use crew seats.

4. Is it theft or fraud for a benefit of considerable value not to be given back to the airline, for revenue generation when it is clearly not being used for the purpose it was intended? (VK you are usually hot on these questions, especially where cabin crew are concerned, although this is one relevant to the captain).

BA pilots should do the honourable thing where these freebies are concerned. Can you imagine the uproar if cabin crew had ownership of seats even in economy.

This is not about a job perk, its about a valuable company asset being missused and possibly fraudulently used.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Martyn

Have you ever considered seeking treatment for obsessive/compulsive disorder? It will make you feel better, honestly 😉

MartynSinclair
    Participant

if thats the best you can come up with in defence of a possible multi million pound leakage Disgusted, then perhaps it is you who is the troll!

………unless of course you are one of the beneficiaries, then of course your reactions are quite understandable!!!

VintageKrug
    Participant

*rolls eyes and takes another sip of champagne*

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Martyn

I have travelled as a ‘guest of BA’ on several occasions, never in 60B, usually in a number between 1-5.

Why should I care about what 60B costs? If BA is on the ball park for cost, I’ll use the company in NCW, which is a good product; if not, I won’t – simples. No skin off my nose.

Keep taking the tablets.

BABenji
    Participant

it’s not an unreasonable question to ask.

regardless of your stakeholding in BA, be it as a passenger who cannot obtain two seats together, be it as cabin crew feeling agreeved (rightly or wrongly) because of a change in your working conditions because of the financial woes suffered by BA over recent months, or as a shareholder who has every right to expect a return on their investement, it should be clear why this is happening.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Excellent posturing VK – love the rolling eyes, you are indeed a TOP man.

Disgusted – simply brilliant, a free roller in 1 – 5, ooops sorry, a guest of BA (aka free roller) – simply brilliant, no wonder you dont care about the cost of a business class seat! Are your Professional Fees related to the entertainement industry as well??

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

BAbenji

Every organization has its little peculiarities.

This is one of BA’s.

End of discussion, unless you wish to challenge it as a shareholder and I am awating Martyn Sinclair’s confirmation that he will do this.

In fact, I have stated that I will purchase some shares and attend the IAG AGM.

Martyn Sinclair v Willie Walsh, Godzilla v Mothra will have nothing on this contest.

As a passenger, you can choose from the seats available, if you have enough clout, the airline will move someone else to create 2 seats, otherwise you should not fly without a sense of humour.

Cabin crew are paid to do their job, not run the airline, a point Mr Walsh seems to have been stressing by his reaction to the dispute.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

“Disgusted – simply brilliant, a free roller in 1 – 5, ooops sorry, a guest of BA (aka free roller) – simply brilliant, no wonder you dont care about the cost of a business class seat!”

Not a free roller, I was giving some advice to the management team at the time and that’s the seat they chose to give me, to visit some outstations.

Now you can add ‘no advisers in First’ to your 60B campaign.

BABenji
    Participant

Why should it be the end of the discussion?

The question should at least be given an answer, although it would appear that no one here can provide one.

I appreciate that BA operates on a much grander scale than many firms, so its “little perculiarities” will be larger than most, but ultimately the pounds, shillings and pence that are being missed out on make a difference to the “little guy” in terms of their pension, it makes a difference to the larger shareholders (especially at this time where cash is offering a very poor return) and it makes a difference to the person or persons who could be employed using this money.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 179 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls