British Airways Relaxes Tier Point Requirements

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 73 total)

• Derek1948
    Participant

I have been Silver for many years with a renewal date of 8 February so started with a clean slate on that day. On 11 February went into hospital for a cancer operation and by the time I was able to fly again Covid 19 had taken over the world and virtually nothing was going anywhere. As my next and final operation has been cancelled due to the virus I’m probably looking at November before I can fly again. As a purely recreational traveller these days, not sure if I can pack in the tier points in a max of 3 months but we’ll see. And will it be safe to fly then? Or will I have to use my cash more wisely and listen to some of the participants on here and never use BA again?
    As people have said, my Hilton status was extended until end of 2021 without my asking.

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=999230][/postquote]

Aside from the tier issue I personally hope you are recovering from your cancer scare, there are definitely more important things in life!

1 user thanked author for this post.

Derek1948
    Participant

Thanks K1ngston, yes prognosis was excellent with minimal change of reoccurrence and looking forward to travelling again. Was just a blip on the highway known as life!

5 users thanked author for this post.

TominScotland
    Participant

I recognise that this is not a life-or-death matter in the current world we live in BUT

My Gold membership is due for renewal on 8th July. I have not heard anything from BA to date about this.

I currently have 850 TPs for this year and so, under the 30% rule that BA has applied to April, May and June end dates, would not qualify for Gold renewal. However, between April and June, I was scheduled to take 8 long-haul returns of which 7 would have been on BA and 1 on Qatar. Only 2 of these were actually booked but they would have taken me over the 1050 threshold before BA cancelled the flights.

I can get a letter from my employer, confirming plans to book the remainder with BA/ QR.

Advice as to whether I should argue the toss if BA inform me that I am downgraded?

Note: Question also posed on other fora.

Swissdiver
    Participant

[postquote quote=999791][/postquote]

My situation was very similar (I had about 100 more points, still below the adapted threshold). I asked (argumented request) and got a (positive) reply just before my renewal day in May.

Keith
    Participant

I am due to renew my tier points in July and if BA use the same formula as for April May and June I will re qualify for Gold as my wife already did. I wish BA would announce their intentions as my future choice of carrier to the USA will depend on their decision. As for asking BA- I dont see any downside but from personal experience I have found them rigid in the past. I was one domestic flight off qualifying one year (my miscalculation) and they wouldn’t extend so I had great pleasure in working up to top tier with LH instead.

Any before anyone says “there are worse problems in thew world right now” well this is a Business Traveler forum and this is escapism for me

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=999794][/postquote]

I imagine BA is hedging its bets a little at present to see what happens over the next couple of weeks.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I also imagine airport lounges may not be a priority to reopen.

Keith
    Participant

I noticed Plaza premium lounges advertising various openings so fingers crossed the virus is letting us move step by step to normal

3 users thanked author for this post.

Peter
    Participant

Yep, it’s totally un-believable at how ‘Non-customer’ focussed Alex Cruz is. Delta, United, American have all just extended by one year all status. Simple as that! COME ON BA for goodness sake!!

TominScotland
    Participant

Partial resolution to my earlier question.

I did write (snail-mail) to BA, addressing my situation and also that of my wife who, as a Bronze member and on 480 TPs, was in a similar situation. She received an e-mail yesterday (3 days after the letter was sent!!) confirming her elevation to Silver status from her renewal date in September on the basis that she has reached the new -30% threshold. So it would seem that this will continue to be the rule that is applied to renewals after June.

I am still waiting for an answer to my own request and will post an update when I do.

Henryp1
    Participant

I think it’s a difficult choice for any company which runs a loyalty scheme, some membership benefits have been extended, but with no guarantee that the member will actually return to the company. But I do think that this is an opportunity for BA to change the membership based on spend and not points. This would give an opportunity to offer a different and potentially enhanced membership, especially if this resulted in a reduction in the numbers of members.

Reading articles and speaking to friends, nobody knows exactly how the future will pan out, and if thee are significant second waves of COVID 19, will the world go on lockdown again.

TominScotland
    Participant

I have just received a reply to my own request to maintain Gold status from my renewal date in July.

“Dear Dr TominScotland
    Thank you for contacting the Club regarding your Tier status.

We recognise there are times we can be more flexible for our Members, especially for your loyal and frequent travellers.

I’ve considered everything you mentioned, and I’m happy to say your membership will renew at Gold for another year from 2020 – 2021. Your account will renew as normal in July 2020 so you don’t need to do anything yourself.

I do hope this is a solution you feel happy with and that you continue to enjoy the many benefits of belonging to the Executive Club.

……………

Best regards
    xxxxxxxxx
    British Airways Executive Club”

Difficult to fault the response here.

Keith
    Participant

[postquote quote=1000311][/postquote]

Thank you. I’m July renewal. I need to write. Thanks for posting

Ekond222
    Participant

…Good for you TIS…it shows a little bit of polite persistence pays off..and good to hear something positive on this forum…

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 73 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls