British Airways Relaxes Tier Point Requirements

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 73 total)

• GivingupBA
    Participant

[postquote quote=995112][/postquote]

Swissdiver, thanks a lot for the diagram you attached, that is very helpful.

1 user thanked author for this post.

mkcol74
    Participant

[postquote quote=994738][/postquote]

I am still to receive this email 🙁

Swissdiver
    Participant

I didn’t receive this email from BA either. But I got another one about my company SME program “On Business”. It reads:

Your tier status
    We’re pleased to let you know that your On Business tier status will be protected this year. That means, if you do not spend the amount needed by the end of 2020 to remain in your current tier, you can be assured that your current tier status will be maintained until the end of 2021.

A good sign?

ontherunhome
    Participant

I just received the same message from On Business too. Nothing about suspension of expiring points, so as a basic level member no new benefits there. I have 4 cancelled sets of flights now with BA, I have given up trying to call, and have just sent a letter to their legal department requesting refunds in 28 days or I will start legal action.I will keep the forum posted. Stay safe.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Here’s a copy of the On Business email

Dear Mr Tom 

We know that the COVID-19 outbreak is an unprecedented global challenge for you and your business. At this uncertain time, we’d like you to know that your company’s loyalty to British Airways is greatly appreciated and never taken for granted. With that in mind, we’ve taken some important steps to support you and give you confidence during this difficult period.

Your tier status 

We’re pleased to let you know that your On Business tier status will be protected this year. That means, if you do not spend the amount needed by the end of 2020 to remain in your current tier, you can be assured that your current tier status will be maintained until the end of 2021. 

As usual, you will continue to move up to the next tier if you and your company have reached the required spending thresholds on company travel by the end of 2020. For a reminder of the spend thresholds and benefits for each tier, please click here

Reward flights 

For any unused On Business reward flights, you can claim a voucher to the value of your original booking, which can be put towards a future On Business reward flight booking. 

If you do not wish to claim your voucher, you can contact us to discuss your refund options. You may experience longer than usual waiting times as our teams respond to extremely high call volumes, so we ask for your understanding during these challenging times. 

More information can be found on ba.com/coronavirus including the latest FAQs and travel updates. And remember, if you booked with a travel agent, please contact them directly and they will be able to help you with your options. 

For further information on any of the above changes, please click here.

Thank you again for your continued support.

We hope that you’re safe and well and look forward to welcoming you, and your colleagues, on board your next flight with us.

We’re here to support you and your business whenever you do decide to travel again. 

With best wishes, 

Your On Business Team

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=994767]am sure ‘sheep follow sheep’, meaning whatever the majority of airlines do for club status’s, BA are likely to follow.

Well done BA for dealing with short term passenger status, but quite frankly, I think it’s far more important for the company to stop putting their employees in danger and ground all aircraft asap.[/quote]

Above written on the 26th March 2020 – maybe 6 weeks ago. How different the world of BA is now.

Attached .pdf was published in today’s FT. Perhaps BA is about to ditch some of it’s loyal BAEC customers….

EDIT – The FT .pdf would not attach. The article was entitled “Frequent flyer: goodbye gold card, so long silver” published today by Michael Skapinker of the FT

1 user thanked author for this post.

ontherunhome
    Participant

[postquote quote=996245][/postquote]

Just an update on refunds. All recieved by May 2nd, direct to credit card. Now I have to battle with LH over 3 refunds.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Martyn,
    Could not read the article (paywall). My feel however is that BA will cherrypick which members will keep their status. This might well mean CIV scores to be one of or the criteria for those not having the required number of points for Gold renewal…

Montysaurus
    Participant

Perhaps rferguson can enlighten us. As a mere silver (for 25 years continuously) I feel vulnerable if this rumour is correct.

SimonS1
    Participant

At this stage BA has announced a 30% reduction in qualification criteria for people due to renew in April to June.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/executive-club/tiers-and-benefits?

However I agree, once scenario is that airlines will be looking to cut costs and are likely to focus on their most valuable customers.

pilot1500
    Participant

Wow, a whole 30% reduction!

How generous of BA towards their most regular customers. It is hardly surprising that the gold standard airlines like Emirates, Cathay etc have just extended their levels for 1 year.

This is a no-cost option to their airline to do, but it might just cost BA a lot in the reduction of loyal customers.

Yet another reason to fly with other operators. A stunningly stupid decision from BA. Well done. No doubt you will be complaining that your revenue is massively down when things get back to normal.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=999046][/postquote]

Whoa, steady pilot, keep those wings level.

The situation is evolving fast. At this stage BA have extended status to the end of June but I would be surprised if there weren’t further changes before 1st July once the resumption of flying is clearer.

Also it isn’t true to say Emirates have extended their levels for a year. It’s between 3 and 9 months depending on when your review is due. Still why let facts get in the way of a good rant I guess.

https://www.emirates.com/media-centre/emirates-skywards-extends-support-offers-flexibility-to-members/

4 users thanked author for this post.

Peter
    Participant

Isn’t this utterly pathetic from BA when Delta, American, United along with Marriott, Hiltotc (my usuals) have automatically extended by a year your existing membership!!!!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=999155]Isn’t this utterly pathetic from BA when Delta, American, United along with Marriott, Hiltotc (my usuals) have automatically extended by a year your existing membership!!!![/quote]

On the surface, yes it looks like poor marketing to regular travellers. However, I don’t think it’s just a case of extending membership by a year. The airport experience, even for us ‘DYKWIA’ passengers will need to change.

Taking BA’s hub, Heathrow for example, T5 BA lounges will likely need to be changed to eliminate the continual overcrowding. Food bars/buffets are likely to disappear.

When traffic flows through airports increase, will lounges actually open up? Will the airport need to grab additional space for social distancing (if it’s needed)..

I know there is more to BAEC than just lounges, but perhaps BAEC are going to modify their executive club as part of cost cutting measures.

From my perspective, having been a continual gold member for around 15 years, am I concerned whether I have access to an airport lounge, absolutely not, will it concern me if BA take away my shiny gold card, in a possible BAEC revamp, absolutely not.

I will admit, prior to Covid 19 – ‘DYKWIA’ benefits mattered, however, the current situation has given me a whole new perspective on life, travel and airline benefits.

SimonS1
    Participant

Of course in the real world, US airlines operate in a very different way. Status is often driven by spend, lounge access is not always free (it can be linked to membership) and drinks are not always free in the lounges. Same for Emirates – silver members cannot get access to lounges outside Dubai unless paid for at a significant premium.

So really one needs to compare like for like in any such analysis.

I do agree with Martyn, this would be an appropriate time for BA to modify its programme and cull its FF programme. Focus on higher value customers, those who spend significant money on premium cabins and not just those who travel a lot on cheap tickets or get status by constructing cheap TP runs. Otherwise if anything the lounges will get busier, as inevitably we will all need to arrive earlier in the foreseeable future, as social distancing will be a non runner.

It wouldn’t bother me either, the days of being motivated by a plate of slop and some cheap plonk have long since gone.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 73 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls