British Airways Relaxes Tier Point Requirements

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 73 total)

• fatbear
    Participant

I received a mail today advising :

To protect your Gold membership for another year, we’ll be lowering Tier Point thresholds by 30% for all Members due for renewal in April, May and June.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Emirates also extended my Gold status till June, even though I haven’t flown with them for about 8 months.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Kimi_CDG
    Participant

Qatar Airways has extended my Silver status for 12 months.

3 users thanked author for this post.

SGJNI1961
    Participant

Ba’s attitude very disappointing. Don’t think I will continue with them anymore and just shop on price and schedule
    Look how Hilton approached the problem! I just started my next year as Gold and will not make any effort to keep it, particularly if they now try to wriggle out of cash refunds for cancelled flights. So much for “no bailout for us, we have £9Bn in the bank”! Still not seen the voucher for my last flight which I imagine will be fairly useless.

2 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Whilst it seems longer, the UK is only 10 days or so into businesses closing and quite frankly I think BA have far more important things to worry about at this point than passengers tier points and status. I am sure ‘sheep follow sheep’, meaning whatever the majority of airlines do for club status’s, BA are likely to follow.

Well done BA for dealing with short term passenger status, but quite frankly, I think it’s far more important for the company to stop putting their employees in danger and ground all aircraft asap.

6 users thanked author for this post.

StephenLondon
    Participant

Why do BA always make things so complicated for themselves? Just add a year to everyone’s expiry date (like they did for those who tried to fly on one of the IT dates) and give people a nice surprise. But to chisel down a few points for three months blah, blah, blah is just falling on deaf ears. As Martyn says, best to see BA planes on the ground, their crew and ground staff dealt with safely and equitably, and we will all reconvene as/when it is safe to do so. Hilton are a classic case of leading by example. BA…take note. People can/will vote with their feet!

6 users thanked author for this post.

Ah,Mr.Bond
    Participant

What a waste of time. Who at BA is making such useless commercial decisions? I know things are difficult for them at the moment, but Just extend everyone’s status for a year for christ sakes and keep everyone happy for now till we know we can actually travel again with confidence, which is going to take many, many months. My year ends in December and had calculated to be just over 600 points = silver retention by then. I was stuck in Mexico last week and just had to cancel my AA premium trip inbound from there to UK to fly non stop economy back from Cancun on BA for only 20 points, which cost me more ££ than the AA round trip premium fare! They’ve cancelled my Easter flights, and I’m having to also cancel a club Europe trip in May, unlikely to be rebooked…… WHAT A GESTURE.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Keith
    Participant

Personally I’m delighted This announcement means my wife has been able to attain her gold status again as she was expecting to be able to do based on expected travel and assuming this extends to July renewals I will retain gold again as I was on schedule to do.

I think there are some who like to moan about BA whatever they do Personally I remain loyal and find the benefits of Gold (especially upgrades and the the Companion voucher) are very valuable with family in Asia and USA.

I also think and I am not by any means the first to say this that tier points are hardly BA ‘s greatest priority at present- Keeping their staff safe , keeping their staff jobs safe and finding a way not to go bust seem a little more important

4 users thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

I honestly wonder why people are getting their knickers in a twist about this.

Global pandemic, thousands dying, and there are still those that are more self interested in whether they will have a shiny card or lounge access at the end of it.

Sounds like this week’s version of the ‘I can’t change my timeshare’ or ‘Qatar won’t give me a cake’ whinge.

Swissdiver
    Participant

[postquote quote=994833][/postquote]

Because we are bored to death?

nevereconomy
    Participant

I am not bored as I found that there are plenty of people around me who can use a little help during this mess. Y’all aren’t going to need lounge access or upgrades any time soon, so stop worrying about it.

2 users thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=994840][/postquote]

I’m not so bored that this has reached the top of my list of things.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I think it’s just human nature. You spend time and money acquiring things, status etc. and don’t wish to lose it. Of course your values or thinking may change if you yourself are hit with the virus, but again maybe not. Only a very small percentage of people actually have the virus, and in most of those it’s pretty mild, so for many it’s really a case of “but for the grace of God go I”! Of course I’d rather stay healthy and lose something, rather than the other way round, but if I’m honest I’d still be a bit miffed about losing out.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Only a very small percentage of people actually have the virus

The current thinking is that only a small percentage of people actually have symptoms! This is very different! The attached diagram is rather instructive, I think.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=995096][/postquote]

Maybe, however even for those who are virus free there is plenty to be done. The NHS is desperate for volunteers as are a lot of care homes.

I know many business traveller types lack any personal awareness but I’m sure most people can grasp that an increasing number of countries have declared a national emergency and in the bigger scheme of things this is unimportant.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 73 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls