BA new First Class Review

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 217 total)

• FCTraveller
    Participant

AndrewFlyer, how lucky you are. The chances of one of the contributors to this forum being on the inaugural flight, on a quick trip to Chicago, and returning on the same plane, is a little like winning the lottery. Real indepth review, although it does sound a tad as if it had been written by the BA PR department, NOT that I’m suggesting anything here!

Well, even though I fly first about once a month, I’m not holding my breath to be able to write my review until 2011. Although it seems pretty much identical to the prototype I was invited to comment on for BA 4 years ago at Waterside.

On the subject of business class, I do find it boring to be told how I should spend my money. On the subject of the wager, I think MartynSinclair should do the honourable thing and write a cheque to Cancer Research. BA is NOT the best business class in the world. I don’t fly J very often but I always have a good look. The EK J seat is about the size of BA First. And it’s a bit cheeky to change the rules along the way and exclude some of the best airlines in the world. Come on, let’s see your cheque book!

And one final note, true, F upgrades often stand out a mile, but not because they get the leftovers or inferior service. I have never seen BA cabin crew do anything of the sort. I would even venture a guess that crew members don’t know if a passenger has been upgraded or paid full whack.

openfly
    Participant

The comments on here about upgrades to F from J are very pertinent.

Twice recently I have prebooked my favorite seat in J and at the gate I have been told ”oh you are lucky, you have been upgraded to F”. Each time I have been put into an inferior F seat (the middle ones near the galley). Each time I have refused and requested my original J seat that I had booked. Each time I was told ”sorry they it has been reallocated”.

Would it not be polite of BA to ASK a Gold card holder, or any premium passenger, if he/she would like to have the upgrade before doing it? Sometimes I prefer my seat in Club!

I witnessed a couple in the F lounge at LGW being told that they had been upgraded to F. They explained that they were with a birthday party of 6 and wanted to remain in J with their friends…very reasonable. They were also told ”sorry your seats have been reallocated’ nothing can be done ”unless you want to try to change back on the aircraft, yourselves”!!

These BA upgrades are seldom done for the passengers benefit. It is sorting out the overbooking problem on a flight.

Dont just upgrade me. Ask me!

openfly
    Participant

BA upgrades have a message on the passenger list against the name ”upgraded to F due oversales” etc. So the cabin crew are fully AWARE.
    The BA service policy in F is that the meal orders are taken from full fare, then upgrades, then staff…in that order. This can be witnessed by the way that the crew taking the orders ‘dance’ around the F cabin!
    You can also tell who are the staff travelling in F because they are instructed to refuse wash bags, sleepsuits and are refused unopened wine!

Wildgoose
    Participant

Lamentable attitude to upgraded pax on BA. I got upgraded from J to F on EK recently and didn’t experience any diminished service. Kudos to EK’s F class attendants for their professionalism and impartiality. I know who I’M flying with in the future.

NTarrant
    Participant

I would not agree that the crew dance around the cabin taking orders. Having both been upgraded and paid for F I have found that the crew take the orders by going to each seat in turn in sequence. The level of service also remains unchanged.

Most people get a “wow factor” on being upgraded and accept without hesitation, I would suspect that the number of times that people refuse are very low. The people you refer to in the birthday party would not have been upgraded if they were all on the same booking.

By and large I don’t think you can tell if someone has been upgraded if they are used to travelling F or a frequent flyer. I think you can if someone has been upgraded from WT+ to J. Mind you when my wife and I had been upgraded to the spa suite on the 43rd floor of the Hilton Sydney the day beforewe went SYD-SIN we joked about being upgraded to F and that our luck would not extend to that. So when we were upgraded at the gate our shock and jaws open probably gave it away!

Hess963
    Participant

Hi eveyone !!

Yes, being upgraded is great–that is a fact ! But it is also a fact that it would be great in some circumstances to be asked first, if you want to give your Club World seat and be seated in F cabin. As I am not that huge fan of BA F seat—I really prefer Club World ! And especially–and yes it is true–the fact as well that you get only the rest of the food choices after the full fare F pax has ordered first. And foremost the feeling to be treated as “second class pax in the F cabin”. Some has still dignity.

Travellator
    Participant

Are PAX using airmiles and AMEX companion vouchers treated in the same way i.e served after fare paying PAX

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Ever noticed the pilots on Singapore using an empty F class seat for crew rest. They are the ones wearing the sweaters to cover their gold bars. As for the business class challenge – figure out a way to prove the best business class seat (on a grown up airline) and i will be happy to suggest a charity for my challenger to donate to! Stroll on Club World…..

I hope you all have a great week – and trust you are not stuck by the LH stirke.

NTarrant
    Participant

Sorry Hess, but I don’t agree that F upgrade passengers are treated any differently to fare paying passengers. Whilst I would admit my F experiences are far less than travelling in J, my experience is that everyone is treated the same.

Lets be honest here, why upgrade someone (forget the technical reasons) and then treat them the same as J or lesser than others in the same cabin? It just does not make sense, as a business you hope that those upgraded will delight in the experience and travel F and pay for it.

I would question whether the crew have any idea if someone has a discounted or fully flexable ticket or a miles/companion or whatever, it does not matter, the service should be the same.

AndrewFlyer
    Participant

Travellator – yes, AmEx 2 for 1 voucher holders and mileage redeemers are treated as full fare customers. Upgrades “may” have a meal order taken after other full-F pax have had theirs (I saw this happen coming up from Joburg one evening), but then again, those of use who have paid (even with miles or 2 for 1) should be given choice over upgrades and staff.

FCTraveller – I’m so sorry my review sounds like a BA Press Blurb. It was not meant to be. I do not work for BA…I am a consultant based at Canary Wharf. My chance flight to Chicago was really luck – the crew told me the aircraft was originally due to fly to JFK, but because of bad weather in New York (closing JFK), it was put onto a few ORD and SEA rotations before going onto JFK. I felt so lucky, I bought a EuroMillions ticket – alas, my luck clearly ran out when I left the comfort of G-VIIU as I didn’t win a penny!

My thoughts on BA First, the “footprint” and number of seats must make money for BA on the routes they serve, or else they wouldn’t operate it. Many of the Asian carriers are reducing the number of seats in F on board to match their demand. BA clearly have demand for up an average of 14 pax per flight. I am one of them – there are times where we are permitted to use revenue First tickets – they aren’t all £7,000 plus…but when you have to arrive in tip top shape, it can be an essential tool to a successful meeting. The new seat is an evolution, not a revolutionary new capsule. It is wider, more luxurious and seems more spacious than the previous seat. The overall cabin ambiance is an improvement, too. It was such a change, I felt the need to share this with fellow travellers via this forum.

Hess963
    Participant

Hi Nigel

that is the point–your last sentence: …the service should be the same..

But how could you feel being treated the same when you feel as an upgrade pax that it is obvious that full paying pax are being served primarily( which is for okay for me as they have paid the F full fare) and you as an upgrader–getting the feeling of being served or treated lesser than you have deserved as a full paying pax.

Then the crews should be more sensitive in not showing those differences — than the moment the pax see it–for me it is not an exclusive feeling anymore !
    I definitely won’t begrudge someone for being upgraded as they have flown a lot and shown their loyalty to that specific airlines or alliance. It is the matter of balance and right tone/action on the side of the crews to win the pax on his side and make this pax a loyal customer. But never give him/her the feeling of being an extra burden as an upgrader. The crew has a pax manifest onboard . And in some airlines they have a list and ranking of their Honourables, VIPs, Elite flyers and who are paying pax and who are upgraders. In some airlines I know it ’cause I had the chance to see this list !!

So in such airlines I always know, if those crews are professional enough to make a good service and never let anyone see the distinction between the paxs because there is always a distinction -it is normal that the crews are attentive to those who are obviously a frequent and loyal customer of their airline. But as I have said–always be professional to charm ALL PAX in that cabin and give them the feeling of being exclusive and well taken care of. I do not want to sound like a freaking CX fan –but – the crews of CX in my previous flights have just showed me that giving someone the right attentiveness, service with a true smile, caring words and taking time to chat .and most important answer my questions and request properly..made me forget how dreadful those regional C seats were….and the crews have won me as their future premium pax.

Is it that hard to win a pax ? Obviously the Asian carriers have no big issues and no really big efforts to show it to their premium paxs. European carriers like LH, LX, OS, BA …are on their way
    ( especially the younger recruits..as they are still motivated to give their best ) to do it—but still behind the Asian carriers though.

So being upgraded is good–but I want the proper service included in this F class experience and not the lesser version !

NTarrant
    Participant

Hi Hess

I think you make a good point about crews being proffessional enough for it not to notice. Certainly my experience is that there is no difference. Must try and remember to make note next time I am lucky enough to be upgraded.

We don’t want the airlines, no matter who to go down the line of the railways in that some operators won’t allow lounge access if you have an advance ticket becuase “you might be noisy and upset the full fare paying passengers” I was told at Leeds once!!

Travellator
    Participant

Probably wont be flying at all now – strike just announced and our flights are in the danger period leading up to easter !

Hess963
    Participant

Hi Nigel !!

Well there we have it–unprofessionalism ! Saying that to you or in a similar context is definitely a huge mistake in service attitude ! That person should be taught to do it more better in the future. Advance ticket or not..if you have the right to be in that lounge as a part of your ticket than you have the right of entrance. Telling you of being noisy and probably upsetting full paying pax is the paramount of a worst service attitude you can imagine ! Giving another pax the feeling of being less and not worthy to be with other full paying pax there—is just impertinent !
    I hope you have remembered that person and wrote something back.

Hess

MartynSinclair
    Participant

next time you travel take a look in the First galley and you will see the pax list stuck to the wall with all sorts of info about whos in each seat, their status, whether crew or pax upgrade. The list is a tear off slip from the pax load sheets from the boarding gate. Off course the crew knows what kind of ticket each of their pax hold – its their job to know.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 217 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls