BA long-haul – where to next & with what? Winter 2015/16+

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 645 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Good point, sparkyflyer. BA will be left behind if it doesn’t act soon.

Iran is expected to sign an order soon for over 100 Airbus aircraft so we can expect Iran Air to become a force in years to come …as it was in the 1970s when mentored by PanAm.

Also do not overlook Emirates which will be linking the world via its hub.. It already operates four daily flights Dubai-Tehran and will be sure to increase this total.

Already Emirates has operated a one-off A380 flight into Tehran.

Jasonltd1
    Participant

Even now the sanctions have been lifted (wrongly in my view), it doesn’t get around the fact that Iran is still a terrorist sponsoring state – with intentions of destroying another. Iran cannot be trusted now – or in the near future.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

James72: you may well be right but at least we can now get to see some of the brilliant islamic centres before the completely idiot muslims like dash (you know who but my spell checker is a pain) wreck their own heritage as well as sites illustrating that earlier “civilisations” were at least as impressive.

canucklad
    Participant

Hi James,
    To misquote Sun Wu “Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer”.
    Iran is a complex society, with political dynamics and intrigue, which in comparison makes our politician’s shenanigans look downright amateurish.

If we’re going to have a relationship with an ancient and proud people, I’d like to know that I can escape Iranian hospitality as soon as I board a BA plane bound direct for Blighty, not an Iran air plane with no G &T’s ….how uncivilised : )

Add to that , at the last census there are 83,000 Iranians living in the UK.

Jasonltd1
    Participant

Yes no G&T’s or Champagne,,, criminal

TiredOldHack
    Participant

Canucklad – Pa was Number Two in our embassy there, back in the day, and he always reckoned the Iranians were about the best dissemblers and negotiators and schemers on the planet.

rferguson
    Participant

Just a personal opinion but I cannot wait until BA returns to Tehran. I’ve visited Iran previously and have never encountered such hospitable, kind people anywhere else. I’m not sure of the political aspect – I don’t particularly trust what I read in the media. Whether a particular country is friend or foe to the west seems to depend on what they have to offer and what way the wind is blowing. Egypt’s Mubarak became one of the middle easts most respected peace makers until the next day the media decided to call him ‘dictator mubarak’, Gadaffi went from foe to friend to foe again. As far as i’m concerned BA already flies double daily to one of the most repulsive regimes on earth that is known to export islamic extremism and beheads people at a rate ISIS would be proud of. One which also happens to have lots of oil and buys US and european weaponry to the tune of hundreds of billions of dollars. So that makes them OK. But I digress….

FDOS_UK
    Participant

RFerguson

“England has no eternal friends, England has no perpetual enemies, England has only eternal and perpetual interests”

Lord Palmerston

rferguson
    Participant

I’ve never seen that quote FDOS! Brilliant!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

“British Airways hopes to fly to Tehran in near future”

News today via Reuters.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/iag-ba-iran-idUKS8N0ZF0B3

rferguson
    Participant

Thanks for that’s Alex!

It’s definitely just a question of when and with what aircraft BA will fly to Tehran. Wonder if they will stick with a ‘midhaul’ A321 a la BEY/TLV or go for a 787-8.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

That’s a good question. Narrow-body plane more economical but the B787 would be better from an image/PR point of view.

Tehran must be a destination for which BA would hope to attract many transfer passengers via LHR. For example, there must be 10s of 1,000s of Iranians resident in the US.

TiredOldHack
    Participant

As a kid, when I used to fly there (late 1960s/early 1970s), it was a 707 or a VC10…

sparkyflier
    Participant

Or offer a routing via TLV, for crew rest, and also offer traffic rights between the two cities 😉

sparkyflier
    Participant

With LH soon offering 744s, surely demand is there for 772 or 788s?

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 645 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls