BA long-haul – where to next & with what? Winter 2015/16+

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 645 total)

• AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

@speedbird189

I fully agree with you

AMcWhirter
    Participant

TheLion – Not definite with OS to Shiraz. It was a city they were investigating.

But will BA finally wake-up with regards to Iran ? AF has just announced it will resume flights to Tehran in 2016.

http://corporate.airfrance.com/en/press/press-releases/article/item/air-france-launches-two-new-routes-paris-orly-new-york-jfk-and-paris-charles-de-gaulle-tehe/

AF will also open a route from Paris Orly to New York in 2016. That will competing with BA’s OpenSkies.

sparkyflier
    Participant

BA will probably decide to miss the Tehran opportunity, like they have many others, for example Panama City and Vietnam..

Speedbird189
    Participant

@sparkyflyer

In actual fact, I can imagine Willie ‘three sheets to the wind’ Walsh and his team ignoring any opportunity, faint or strong, in Asia; Africa; South America and rather launching a barrage of routes to some previously unbeknown destination in the oh-so-perfect market that is the United States!

Just a lack of will we’re experiencing here. A lack of will, and most certainly a lack of attempt or at least some mild venture of sort.

Speedbird189
    Participant

Apologies, also forgot one essential addition to the never-ending lads’ destinations at Heathrow:

BENIDORM! Or how about another Greek island?

TheLion
    Participant

@AisleSeatTraveller / @Speedbird
    Agree with you both, except to add politicians are only concerned with their narrow interests. Many of them have a job for life, the rest however will do anything to stay on the gravy train. I know exactly what I’d do to change that if I ever got elected!

@sparkyflyer
    Add to that list most of Africa, Latin America (adding Lima solely as a high priced route for tourism don’t cut it), Detroit, secondary US cities, secondary Indian cities, Dhaka, Islamabad, Karachi, Casablanca, Taipei, Manila, Jakarta, Osaka, Seychelles, Phuket…and even Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Auckland…

I’ll let them off secondary Chinese cities due to myopic UK Government policy 😉

sparkyflier
    Participant

Hi The Lion

I did not want to make a long list of the destinations BA is missing out on, as I have already ranted on about that before, but chose these two examples as:-

1) Vietnam Airways are still increasing services to LHR and

2) Panama City is being served by many carriers now, indeed with all the extra supply, AF is increasing again its services there, moving to 6 x weekly, and what is noticeable abut that is that they are reducing flight across much of their network

And re Tehran, in addition to AF announcing there, I reckon KL will be announcing there soon..

It seems there are some real effwitts/inbreds at BA, IMHO.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ Speedbird189 – 08/12/2015 09:22 GMT

The point being that Call Me Dave and this Tory government are 100% hooked on the horns of a dilemma entirely of their own making. Desperate to shore up support in south-west London (Richmond Park…) back in 2010, Cameron made a typical party (advantage) before country pledge (never rescinded, BTW) that “No ifs, no buts, there will be no third Heathrow runway…” – hence the Davis Commission to defer the decision and then the multi-gazillion pound vanity project of HS2. Ironically, the latter carves a swathe through even more Tory shire seats than would be impacted by either Heathrow or Gatwick getting additional runway capacity.

Much as I would love to skewer Cameron over his stupidity/cynicism/politicking, I would much prefer to see the UK make a rational choice about necessary additional runway capacity.

Returning to the OP, as for BA’s tortoise like procession towards opening up new routes (or returning to previous destinations). When ALL decisions of any import are made by bean counters whose entire mindset is around risk aversion and in NOT being entrepreneurial, is it any surprise? It also explains why IAG/BA appears to prefer taking over known quantities such as BMI, Aer Lingus etc. Because they can get their heads around existing facts and figures rather than unknown unknowns. But in the UK, where the accountancy profession is the aristocracy of the commercial world, this is what passes for “management”.

dutchyankee
    Participant

@ TheLion – 08/12/2015 13:43 GMT

What is sad is almost all of the destinations you list (with possibly Phuket as the only exception) were previously served by BA at some point, and have all been cut.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hi sparkyflyer –

I wonder if BA is considering Havana ? I ask, because Austrian has decided to fly there from VIE next year.

dutchyankee
    Participant

@ AMcWhirter – 09/12/2015 11:16 GMT

I think that would be an interesting one. Depending on how things pan out in the US political sphere, we could see HAV become quite a OneWorld destination with AA already flying there on the special authority flights to/from Miami which could easily become scheduled along with flights from their other hubs, BA, IB, and LAN. Of course *A is also well represented as is SkyTeam. I think once America removes any last vestiges of the embargo, Havana will become quite the darling of the Caribbean (just need to get a complete infrastructure overhaul on the island, quality hotels, etc., etc.,)

sparkyflier
    Participant

I think Havana is a matter of time. I recall from this forum it was heavily looked at about 2-3 years ago.

Also Virgin already fly there and do very well, and BA tend to go after VS by putting their newest plans on VS routes.

And I think it could easily choose to go there whatever goes on with US/Cuba politically – as mentioned Virgin flies there with 747s and is 49% owned by US carrier Delta…

sparkyflier
    Participant

Also in the news section of this website other 789 destinations have been announced, and it makes for interesting reading. Mr Fitzgerald gets his extra frequencies to Shanghai! And Houston will be getting the 789, which maybe is no surprise with the very low oil price impacting on companies there – in Winter that route is 747 is twice daily!

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Good news on Shanghai

About time and I think the night flights back will be very popular so people can finish work – fly back and even be in office for next day if need be! but much more time efficient. I imagine should be well patronized – hope it is a success!

Speedbird189
    Participant

KLM has announced Amsterdam to Salt Lake City. Only 2/3 times a week, but will BA even consider the route now? Bear in mind DL has recently joined the LHR route.

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 645 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls