BA long-haul – where to next & with what? Winter 2015/16+

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 645 total)

• AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ Speedbird189 – 23/11/2015 13:43 GMT

BA piggy-back onto CX metal ex-HKG to much of Asia-Pacific that they don’t cover direct from LHR. Conversely, CX do likewise to many of those European destinations not served direct from HKG. Both will have their own flight numbers on the other carrier’s services. But they emphatically do not codeshare between LHR-HKG! An interesting example of compete and co-operate at the same time.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Speedbird189 –

Anthony has provided a good explanation. In any case, I couldn’t see CX now wishing to code-share on LHR-HKG seeing as BA flies the A380 and CX does not.

Speedbird189
    Participant

@AnthonyDunn @AMcWhirter

Got it. Slightly confusing situation, but seems to make sense now. I don’t remember seeing LHR specifically in relation to the aircraft I mentioned, but clearly I’m a bit amateur. 😉

Rockhopper
    Participant

Re Hong-Kong – Caribbean flights.

I would pay to see the faces of those transferring from CX F/J when they are confronted with the realities of F/J in one of the clapped out 777’s BA use to serve the Caribbean with……

TheLion
    Participant

Hi all been busy flathunting as I complete my flat sale (East London prices are ridiculous right now!). Below a few agreements with some of your posts….

@AnthonyDunn – 08/11
    Well written analysis and I completely agree.

@FDOS_UK 08/11
    “…there seems to be an over focus on the financial perspective and an under focus on the customer perspective.” Love this!

@rferguson / @greyhawkgeoff 09/11
    Personally I doubt they will go ten abreast on the 772/77W fleet, but if they do, then the only reason to fly on them in almost any class will be the direct flight. Customer service, price, service, product all will not be good enough.

@FCTraveller 11/11
    BA’s product is so disappointing. Our trip in WT to Cancun last year was in a clapped out old plane, dirty, dreadful IFE…all for £610. And that was in the sale.

Not good value for money at all, and I’m not the type to be motivated solely by price. For a business in the customer service industry, it’s astonishing how little they seem to care about their customers.

@sparkyflyer / @Speedbird189 19/11
    Agree on Dakar, Abidjan, Monrovia & Freetown. But doubt the myopic bores in charge of BA will do anything.

@rferguson 21/11
    Nicely put +1!

@Rockhopper 24/11
    hahahaha!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

When will BA sort out Iran?

I ask, because today OS announced (in addition to its extra Tehran flights) it will start a new service to Isfahan from April.

The first European carrier to fly direct to Isfahan? I think so…and I’m going back to the Shah’s era.

Jasonltd1
    Participant

Great news re CX gong back into LGW. Not totally suprised…

sparkyflier
    Participant

Is CX to LGW confirmed?

And Alex BA frankly is about as dynamic as a UK civil service department circa 1974..

They can be so slow and miss out on many opportunities as a result..

Re Isfahan that is a funky addition to the Austrian network,and ensures the LH group are market leaders to and from Iran.

TheLion
    Participant

@AMcWhirter
    I know, right. If you snooze you lose, and BA appear to be permanently asleep.

On Iran, I had a look at info today as a mate was talking about doing a travel trip there. For UK citizens it’s not easy to get a visa and currently it appears you have to travel around as part of an organised tour.

Business traffic also won’t be all that as things haven’t opened up yet. Iran Air also only fly 3 times a week from LHR,but are daily from Frankfurt. This will likely be due to visa issues (and better European connections from FRA). So maybe there’s a good reason why BA haven’t started this route.

@sparkyflyer
    “BA frankly is about as dynamic as a UK civil service department circa 1974..” Love it! Made me laugh out loud!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

TheLion – You must be right because there has to be a reason why there is so much capacity ex-Germany to Iran.

And now we have EuroWings, a low-cost carrier, flying Cologne-Tehran in 2016.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/102216/eurowings-to-fly-to-tehran

By the way, besides Vienna-Isfan, there’s news that Austrian has been investigating the possibility of flying to Shiraz.

TheLion
    Participant

Interesting to hear about Austrian going to Shiraz…

TheLion
    Participant

In other news…

A 6 month delay in the Heathrow decision! SIX MONTHS!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35027559

This government is truly hapless 🙁

The article even mentions they may ban staff from driving to work for environmental concerns. How’s that gonna play out, with thousands of staff having no other transport option in the small hours after public transport is finished…

The environment matters to me, but this is just a severe case of myopia. Wouldn’t it be better to build better, more integrated transport links. Maybe even a car drop off point outside the airport, with light rail lines taking passengers to the terminals.

TiredOldHack
    Participant

And all airside vehicles have to be electric..

Oh, there’s lovely. Junking an entire massive fleet of vehicles and developing brand new ones – unless anyone makes an electric tug capable of pulling a 380, which I doubt. And does anyone make an electric fire engine?

Besides, electric vehicles are not a viable environmental solution. First, the electricity has to be generated somewhere and unless it comes from tidal or hydro-electric power, that means burning fossil fuels, so you’re simply shunting the emissions somewhere else, and secondly, the environmental effect of mining and refining those rare metals is huge. And that means shunting ditto.

AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

build the bloody runway, so all the routes mentioned on this site can be operated

Speedbird189
    Participant

@AisleSeatTraveller

+1

It seems that, when we finally begin to hook onto a decision, the hook is again let go. How ridiculous that a former industrial power like the UK has failed, time and time again, to construct any faint resemblance of a hub airport on its own soil. Every time, every time, the government seems to extend the deadline to some ludicrous date (i.e 6 months later) in what seems like an attempt to allow some space for ‘more important’ political issues. To the government, I say, ignore the protests, understand what will happen if we lose our status as world hub (perhaps it has already happened), and build a third runway!

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 645 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls