BA long-haul – where to next & with what? Winter 2015/16+

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 645 total)

• SenatorGold
    Participant

@rferguson:

Will the flight to NAS still be operating from LHR T5 or will it move to LGW? Currently this is the only Caribbean service remaining at LHR.

dutchyankee
    Participant

And as a follow on from SenatorGold, will the flight still continue to Grand Cayman as I was told that GCM could not handle a 777, and that the 767 was already quite limited.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Speedbird189 – I tend to believe you – I tend to believe they have no interest in Africa now whatsoever – it is like they just do not even want to even “look” there.

SenatorGold
    Participant

@dutchyankee:

That’s interesting re GCM. I will be there in three week’s time (not flying on the BA service but on AA Business via MIA on the B777-300ER), and will ask around.

dutchyankee
    Participant

@SenatorGold

Please do as it would be a shame to lose the direct flight to GCM. The AA service to GCM from MIA is on a 738, and I love AA’s 77W J class, excellent. I look forward to hearing as I was told by crew the NAS stop was also required due to weight limitation at GCM so fuel uplift was limited not allowing nonstop service from GCM to Europe (not sure there would be enough traffic anyway, but interesting to know). Enjoy Paradise!!

dutchyankee
    Participant

@SenatorGold

Just read this!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owen_Roberts_International_Airport

So it seems the airport has recently lengthened and strengthened the runway and taxi ways or are in the process of doing so, specifically to allow the larger aircraft. Good News!

SenatorGold
    Participant

@dutchyankee

Thanks for the update. I think the BA GCM flights are seasonal tags to the NAS flight. I have colleagues who will be taking the BA flight to GCM so I will be interested to hear how heavy the traffic is between LHR and GCM.

I will be taking the BA flight to NAS in January.

My AA flights between MIA and GCM return are on the A319. Yes, I’m looking forward to experiencing the AA B777-300ER J class for the first time.

I take it you have been to GCM? I’m looking forward to my first visit and will be staying at the Marriott.

sparkyflier
    Participant

SenatorGold – the GCM flights are permanent tags to the Nassau flight, and have been routed like that on 767 for many years, maybe 12+ years.

It used to be a nice flight but I have not used it in years – maybe 6 years. The Marriott is nice and handy for the nearby town. The beach has fish more than a foot long within 3 metres of the shoreline.

TiredOldHack
    Participant

@ SenatorGold – Dr TOH and myself are off to Puerto Rico on Saturday, via Miami and AA’s 777ER (codeshare with BA) after our holiday blew out last weekend.

I see they’ve got the new biz cabin on that route as well, and am expecting good things. Probably better than the BA 777 from LGW that was going to lift us to the Dominican Republic.

dutchyankee
    Participant

@SenatorGold

Yes, indeed, a number of times in Grand Cayman. A fabulous piece of heaven. The Marriott is without a doubt one of the better choices. Sublimime luxury at the Ritz Carlton, great beach at the Westin, and a surprisingly all around good choice at the Wyndham (surprisingly nice as I am generally not impressed with Wyndham). There are also plenty of small un-branded options.

Nice to see AA using their new A319, as its always been the 738 in the past. Have a fabulous time!

@TOH, I have done the AA J class on the 77W, and would like to hear how their new seats on the 777 compare. No doubt it will be better than BA CW exit LGW. Enjoy your flight and please let us know.

Speedbird189
    Participant

Correction – Kalamata with 319, T5 – but Chania with 320, T3.

Speedbird189
    Participant

I wouldn’t get excited as there is no backing source, but on the Heathrow Airport wikipedia page, it seems to mention Melbourne starting 1st May 2016. Probably not the best website to rely on, but all of the other routes appear to be fairly corelant with what BT and Airline Route are reporting.

Jasonltd1
    Participant

Have I missed something? Says Austin ending next Feb?? Surely not? Wikipedia / LHR

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ MrMichael – 11/11/2015 13:56 GMT

To return to an earlier posting….

A very unpleasant drive down to FCO from Umbria on Wednesday and we just made it in time – courtesy of a very speedy Avis turnaround. So, seated in 2D/F, we were altogether taken aback at what had to be the best intra-European CE catering we’ve had in years (with a very plentiful supply of libations) and ….with my Asian veggie meal option (that’s another story around BA’s MMB…) I had the most superb cheese and biscuits ever. The Shropshire blue, mature cheddar and cheese biscuit selection would have graced any five star eateries. Senior Mgt’s beef casserole was also simply scrumalishous.

So, let’s not beat around the bush: hats off to BA’s LGW catering and a very pleasant (early) flight home.

Speedbird189
    Participant

I’m almost certain they’re not planning to end the Austin route – it’s doing fantastically well and they’re trying to expand in the market, not leave it.

EDIT: the brackets have now been removed. Not sure what that was about.

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 645 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls