BA long-haul – where to next & with what? Winter 2015/16+

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 645 total)

• london85
    Participant

Thats right Austin is doing great ,shame about the aircraft they’ve put on this route until feb 16 an old 777 with there low cost cabin crew ,i believe called ”mixed fleet’
    so no more nice Dreamliner with good air quality and nice experience crew
    BA for us they dont seems to care .
    well its UNITED on there Dreamliner to Houston next for me in that case ,

Speedbird189
    Participant

In reply to @exeter1:
    I believe the 772 is operating on the Austin route for the winter season, and then switching permanently to the 789.

AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

Boring now & unrelated to the original topic

Speedbird189
    Participant

@AisleSeatTraveller
    It is your choice to read this particular topic, and as there has been no news as of yet relating to new routes, it will get a little boring as reporting on the latest was the very intention of the topic at hand! It is to be expected, but surely if it is continually boring, there is no binding with which you have to read the topic.

Besides, I was replying to a good point regarding the future of the 788/789 at AUS. I do believe that is related to the question at hand: where will British Airways be heading next and with what?

Jasonltd1
    Participant

Slightly disrespectful Exeter1 to call them low cost cabin crew! I was on a mixed fleet flight the other day and they could not have been more attentive and professional.

Speedbird189
    Participant

@James 72

+1

I could not agree more – I just don’t understand the competition surrounding the reliability/service standards/personality of Euro Fleet/Gatwick Fleet/Mixed Fleet and so on.

Different cabin crew bases have good and bad.

rferguson
    Participant

@ James72 – in fairness they are low cost cabin crew. It’s not unlike the kind of terms BA itself use for Mixed Fleet. I think it would be offensive if they were described as ‘low quality cabin crew’ or inferior to the other fleets in some way. As Speedbird189 says there are good and bad in each of the ‘fleets’.

It’s a shame. I’ve said this time after time on various threads. ‘Legacy’ and ‘Mixed’ fleets both have their pros and cons. The ‘legacy’ fleets are more experienced, mature, calm, able to resolve issues. Mixed Fleet are more youthful, enthusiastic, dynamic, eager. The great irony is that what ‘legacy’ fleet lacks (a new youthful eager approach) is what MF has. And what MF lacks (experience, maturity) is what the legacy fleets have. So – how good would a combined MF/WW crew be? Pretty darn good IMHO.

CX took this approach – mixing in their new contract crew with their legacy crew. As a CX fan I think the results have been astounding. I love on their flights how you have quite a few younger crew that are buzzing about, full of smiles and enthusiasm….yet they sometimes get to a point where they get visibly flustered. Cue one of the older, rounder ladies appears – full of experience, graceful, charming, seen it all before….instantly calming the atmosphere.

Speedbird189
    Participant

@rferguson

+1

I also think that a mixed fleet (not the original term, but a mixed fleet of both mixed fleet and legacy if that makes sense haha) would be pretty good. However, it wouldn’t overcome all the flaws. For example, I doubt that the legacy cabin crew would be able to amend the ‘stereotypes’ that SOME of the mixed fleet crew seem to retain. I don’t think it would be entirely feasible to call over the legacy crew every time a meal order is mucked up. 🙂

Jasonltd1
    Participant

I agree with that, but what Exeter was implying was that they were inferior.

rferguson
    Participant

I wouldn’t say inferior. To be fair i’ve only flown on one MF longhaul route with BA and they were fine. My partner just flew in F on one of their routes though and was so impressed he gave one of the crew his Golden Ticket.

london85
    Participant

thank you rfreguson for clarifying this toxic topic that is mixed fleet .
    i have never said that BA low cost cabin crew called ”Mixed Fleet”are inferior .
    in that case whats about Easy jet cabin crew ? are they inferior ?
    i dont think so .
    It it best to stay within the program concerning the austin route being serve by a b777
    but im glad that its only for the winter ,then a 789 will be very welcome on this successful route .
    as for the BA crew i will decide whats best for me and refrain for any more
    comment about BA MF as it is a very sensitive subject,within BA .

london85
    Participant

thank you rfreguson for clarifying this toxic topic that is mixed fleet .
    i have never said that BA low cost cabin crew called ”Mixed Fleet”are inferior .
    in that case whats about Easy jet cabin crew ? are they inferior ?
    i dont think so .
    It it best to stay within the program concerning the austin route being serve by a b777
    but im glad that its only for the winter ,then a 789 will be very welcome on this successful route .
    as for the BA crew i will decide whats best for me and refrain for any more
    comment about BA MF as it is a very sensitive subject,within BA .

Speedbird189
    Participant

Apologies, a little off topic, but relating slightly to LGW long-haul.

It would seem that Cathay Pacific are planning service to LGW with an A350. Considering both CX and BA are members of OW, and they often codeshare on the LHR-HKG route, will this remain the same on the LGW route? Could this make Hong Kong-Caribbean flights possible? Exciting times.

EDIT: I’m wrong about the code sharing. Just took a look on BA.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

BA/CX code-sharing on LON-HKG ? I don’t think so.

Speedbird189
    Participant

You’re correct, sorry about that. I’ve always been a little rusty surrounding code sharing to be honest. I’m sure I can remember seeing a CX/BA aircraft under BA/CX code.

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 645 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls