BA long-haul – where to next & with what? Winter 2015/16+

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 645 total)

• sparkyflier
    Participant

I am sure you are right RF re incentives, but I hope they do not ignore other major opportunities…

Re Tehran, LH are moving from A340-600 to 744, so surely an A321 would be a rather puny offering, in that demand would justify a larger aircraft? Iran Air after all currently use A300-600.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

I thought BMI flew to Tehran prior to BA’s engulfing them? Maybe better if BMI had taken over BA???

sparkyflier
    Participant

I think you are right PeterCoultas, but that may have been just before the sanctions on Iran were increased. Also I do not think the flight was non-stop, but stopped in somewhere on the way.

I wonder if the LH crew actually overnight in Tehran, or return on the same plane as PAX – I have no idea of the crew rest issues.

But this route could stop in maybe Yerevan, or how about this for enhancing regional relations… Tel Aviv 🙂

AMcWhirter
    Participant

If BA doesn’t act soon it will be left behind.

* Lufthansa is starting flights from Munich to Tehran.*

x3 weekly non-stop services by A330-300 are starting on April 28 next year.

AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

agree that BA needs a mainland Chinese partner to serve the obscure but rapidly growing secondary and tertiary regional cities

Tehran is a must, perhaps delay the retirement of a couple of 747s to operate the route (also not sure on the crew procedures or slot availability, it would be 7+ hours from LHR)

AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

agree that BA needs a mainland Chinese partner to serve the obscure but rapidly growing secondary and tertiary regional cities

Tehran is a must, perhaps delay the retirement of a couple of 747s to operate the route (also not sure on the crew procedures or slot availability, it would be 7+ hours from LHR)

sparkyflier
    Participant

I think a 777-220 would be a reasonable way to start,Tehran maybe 4 x weekly.

re China I think an agreement with China Southern (major Skyteam player…) would be ideal, and using Urumqi as a western hub, where China Southern has a major network.

I hope they have not forgotten West Africa in their plans. Freetown and Monrovia did perform after all before Ebola, and such a recommenced route would really help their economies. Dakar and Abidjan could be ideal combinations for these routes.

sparkyflier
    Participant

I just tried to make a comment on this but the site froze and then gobbled my incomplete comment!

I think it will work this time around and the schedules are attractive. |It makes good use of the 772 aircraft between their Lima and San Jose rotations.

I wonder also if there is market for an ORD-LGW route, either by AA or BA, to feed into BA’s Gatwick network..

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Don’t know if already known / announced but they are dropping the Gatwick – Vegas route from April 16 so only LHR to LAS. Flights still on GDS but I guess this aircraft will switch to JFK with rejigging of utilization with San Jose / Lima flights.

Jasonltd1
    Participant

Very surprised at LAS route going, and maybe more surprised at JFK returning. Always thought it would be MIA.

AndrewinHK
    Participant

@james72 LAS is just being transferred to LHR it will be 11 weekly now all 747. I wonder if a JFK flight going to Gatwick will mean a reduction of frequency by BA at Heathrow. AA just announced a new JFK frequency so maybe BA will use a JFK slot to serve somewhere else. If not it’s quite a considerable capacity increase on an already congested route. I understand the Gatwick move, transfer traffic from aer Lingus, and BA itself will fill seats, but also it is to pressure Norwegian from gaining market share.

Jasonltd1
    Participant

Hi yes I’m aware of the existing LHR route! I wasn’t aware though that Norwegian were taking LH traffic from BA. I wonder if now FLL will be looked at.

AndrewinHK
    Participant

BA has a transatlantic market share to protect, Norweigan do fly from Gatwick to JFK and this move by BA must have been partly due to that. BA Strategy at Gatwick seems to be to lower capex, maybe that’s the only way they can make it work. Instead of ordering new aircraft they bought second hand a320’s to base there. The 777’s haven’t been refurbished and they really need to be. New York is a good return and hopefully a positive sign for the future.

AndrewinHK
    Participant

Confirmed BA will reduce frequency to JFK from LHR. Transferring one of there own daily frequencies to AA, overall BA aircraft at JFK will remain the same with the new LGW service. 8 daily LHR-JFK down from 9 daily. 7 operated with 747, 1 with 777.

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 645 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls