BA long-haul – where to next & with what? Winter 2015/16+

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 645 total)

• rferguson
    Participant

Mkcol you are correct – SAN used to be a tag on to the PHX route on the 747.

Battery traveller unfortunately the loads you experienced seem to be the norm on the CTU route. Kind of understandable why BA’s new routes tend to be ‘sure things’ instead of taking a chance.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Is this the reason they keep the flight going in spite of possible better uses for thre plane?

++++

– route subsidies?
    – lucrative cargo traffic?

Pax load may not be the most important factor (although I don’t know on Chengdu and am speculating.)

rferguson
    Participant

Freight isn’t isn’t too bad but it its predominantly one way (CTU-LHR).

BA have said they are in ‘for the long haul’ with the CTU route. The economics of the 787 probably make it just sustainable. The route will transfer to Mixed Fleet soon so will also benefit from lower crewing costs.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ rferguson – 17/09/2015 09:28 BST

And having made so much play of using the BD purchase to free up slots to Asia-Pacific and other long-haul destinations, it would be a tad “difficult” to then withdraw from almost the only new route to that part of the world within a year or so of having started flying there.

sparkyflier
    Participant

The Lion you were right about another carrier that wanted to start San Jose California, and so BA announced earlier than they Intended. The carrier was…..

Lufthansa!

They will be launching with A340-300, and start the week before BA does!

Another piece of information re Tehran, Lufthansaa re increasing capacity on their FRA route from A340-600 to 744, such is demand.

Any other news, insight or developments out there?

TheLion
    Participant

@sparkyflyer

Yup just saw that this morning. Didn’t really expect that prediction to come so soon! However apparently the tech bubble has burst, or so Forbes are reporting:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/petercohan/2015/10/11/4-signs-that-silicon-valleys-tech-bubble-is-bursting/

But then just three days later, same publication different scenario:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/miguelhelft/2015/10/14/what-bubble-the-unicorn-boom-has-just-begun

I guess only time will tell if BA & LH started their party too late for the attendees 🙂

HedgeFundFlyer
    Participant

I saw in a BA document recently that it will have 16 787-9s by this time next year. Any idea where these will be deployed? Only six routes have been announced so there must be one or two surprises due for winter 16/17.

AndrewinHK
    Participant

Not long haul but new BA routes from LHR to Mahon 4x weekly, Palermo 2x and Biaritiz 2x starting 29th/30th of April and May 1st 2016 all with a319.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Does anyone have any idea whether, with the egregiously fawning and sycophantic brown-nosing of President Xi Jinping currently underway in London, there are any other routes to the PRC likely to open up soon? Or has the experience of CTU put paid to that idea pro tem?

TiredOldHack
    Participant

I think Finnair has got a lot of China nicely covered. And they codeshare with BA, which is nice.

TheLion
    Participant

@AnthonyDunn & @TiredOldHack

If I were BA, I’d be working very hard to secure a Chinese codeshare partner for connections, ideally Hainan, although I think they were in discussions with China Eastern. China Southern would be useful too for the below…

I’d then launch flights to Ãœrümqi, Harbin & Fuzhou, none of which have direct flights to Europe. They are all key regional centres.

Ãœrümqi in particular is an excellent location for transfers as it is in slap bang in the middle of Central Asia, so you can fly anywhere in China, plus it’s in an interesting region to visit for a stopover.

Later on Xi’an, Wuhan, Kunming & Guangzhou would be my additions as they are all major regional centres with large populations. They also fill the large gaps in said Chinese regions. However they all currently have European service so time is needed for those markets to mature. One day…

@amc1234
    Great new routes, yet more gaps plugged. I was hoping for Valencia and they did it. Now these latest three destinations plug yet more gaps. The odd German city, Nantes, Balkans, Ankara and northern Norway next, plus a few others, and we are complete for Europe I’d say.

@HedgeFundFlyer
    On Flyertalk there is an extremely useful and interesting master tracker chart about BA retirements & new aircraft, updated regularly. I’ll try dig out the link and share it for you all if you haven’t already seen it.

I created a chart myself based on this which matches retirement dates to new aircraft EIS, with the result that you can see how many additional long haul aircraft they will have free for potential new routes and increased frequencies

The results will surprise you and a lot of others I feel. Now I need to find it as it seems to have vanished when I looked!!

rferguson
    Participant

I think the bulk of 787’s coming will be replacing 767’s and the oldest 747’s that are up for retirement. A few will definitely be used for expansion though.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Re Tehran it seems Austrian are doubling their frequency and more than doubling capacity to it seems twice daily… BA need to move on this.

On a separate note, I read Aer Lingus, IAGs new member, may be looking at Hartford, CT. I have mooted this before, andd it seems a smart move, likely using 757…

rferguson
    Participant

I think Tehran will definitely be on the cards. Perhaps starting with a mid haul 321.

My guess for new longhaul routes is further U.S cities. Apparently they are lining up to entice BA with incentives to fly to them.

rferguson
    Participant

I think Tehran will definitely be on the cards. Perhaps starting with a mid haul 321.

My guess for new longhaul routes is further U.S cities. Apparently they are lining up to entice BA with incentives to fly to them.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 645 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls