BA legacy/mixed fleet crew

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 96 total)

• TCSH11
    Participant

I maybe no longer crew, but does not mean I am no longer employed by BA.
    My reasons for leaving crew was lack of any promotion on my fleet but mainly because of the ignorant rude customers that seem to be attracted to fly with BA

SimonRowberry
    Participant

MCD – not just BA!

Simon

SimonRowberry
    Participant

As a non-BA regular, and an avid reader of this thread, can someone answer this question for me – what exactly is “Mixed Fleet” versus “Legacy”?

This is a genuine question as I really don’t understand the concept.

Also, I’d appreciate a factual answer, not one that is biased one way or another in respect of the concept (whatever that is).

Many thanks,

Simon

TCSH11
    Participant

Ok, the main things between them are:
    Euro fleet or World wide fly only short or long haul, MF do both.
    MF have no seniority
    MFs work hours etc are differ to legacy crew, although the roster system is the same.
    MF have no away from home allowances based on meals etc, theirs is hourly.
    The uniform is diff, for example girls wear hats, no trousers, guys are only allowed short sleeves on shirts.
    The CSM ( SCCM ) is also ground based and manages a group of crew where as Legacy crew have a ground based manager.
    Their take home and basic pay is much less that the pay was for new starters on WW or EF

SimonRowberry
    Participant

MCD – thanks. That is now a bit clearer.

Simon

JohnHarper
    Participant

By now I think you would expect mixed fleet to be bedded in and delivering a standard of service that is not discernible from Euro Fleet or World Wide. I must admit I had forgotten about the differences until earlier this week when it seems I experienced both Mixed Fleet and Euro Fleet service in the same day.

The outbound in the morning was mixed fleet. The service was disorganised and disjointed. That is not for a moment to suggest that the crew members were unfriendly or in any way anything less than totally pleasant, they were nice people. We were more than 50% through the flight when service started, it was not well done and there was a panic about clearing up for landing. This was two crew members working with sixteen passengers. At the time it did not cross my mind that the crew was mixed fleet but rather just that the service was chaotic.

In contrast on return the crew was Euro Fleet. The service was slick, polite and friendly. I was eating ten minutes after take off, drinks were topped up and trays cleared in a calm and unhurried way by the purser who was working alone with seven passengers. Again, I didn’t think about fleet issues but I was aware that on one flight the service was excellent and on the other it was chaotic and disorganised. One journey was relaxing and we got off feeling good, the other was a hassle and we were just glad to get off the plane.

Now I appreciate this was one experience on a single day and I could just as easily have met up with a Euro Fleet crew who were disaffected but my experience of them is that they still deliver slick service.

If after all this time, mixed fleet cannot deliver slick service (I realise they always will to the apologists) then any sensibly led organisation would abandon the experiment and integrate the new employees in to the existing structure albeit on different terms and conditions. That way the existing fleets would get new blood and the new crew would benefit from the vast experience of the established crews.

Of course Willie would see this as unthinkable and would probably explode if it were suggested to him but I think this initiative was one of his many mistakes.

WillieWelsh
    Participant

Good points JohnHarper. I have had better and worse experiences of mixed fleet but you are right, they are still far from slick and they do not deliver what I expect from BA and it’s closer to a bucket and spade experience.

The experiment clearly has failed all this time later and ought to be abandoned, mixed fleet crew re-interviewed and offered jobs in eurofleet or world wide depending on their skill and competence – not all may get jobs.

Will it happen? I doubt it. Walsh would have to back down which he will never do even when the scale of his error stares his passengers (who pay his bonus) in the face every single day. Arrogance is a terrible thing.

CXDiamond
    Participant

I think the sentiments of John’s post are sound however BA will never back down at least while Walsh is in charge. When he has had his day his successor will no doubt integrate the fleets in a sensible way.

Hippocampus
    Participant

Interesting that those reporting negative experiences with Mixed Fleet are full of anti Willie Walsh rhetoric.

Are some people still running a smear campaign against Mixed Fleet crews?

rferguson
    Participant

I had a fantastic experience flying LAX-LHR with Mixed Fleet. In fact, I even considered jumping ship from my ‘legacy’ main crew position to a Mixed Fleet Customer Services Manager (the position is available to apply internally). However, I would have seen not only a drop in pay, but also around 20% less days off than I currently get as legacy main crew (and i’m POST ’97 contract). Goes to show how many £££ BA must be saving with MF.

Alasdair
    Participant

And it also goes to show, rferguson, how well the union that represents ‘legacy’ crew have worked with your company to ensure the conditions that you are used to.

On a good day BA can be as enjoyable to travel as any airline, however, their hard product (including the seating options for new aircraft outlined here on BT) will always let them down.

Give me fresh MF Crew over tired Legacy Crew. I can’t even begin to imagine the internal divisions. Time to put an end to this distinction and different employment conditions IMO.

BigDog.
    Participant

Just as I would prefer an experienced pilot over a youngster with little life experience, or a mature Cheese; Steak; Wine over a nouveau. Likewise I would prefer a experienced crew for safety, efficiency and interpersonal skills.

londonlad
    Participant

I think which age group you prefer in the cabin comes largely down to which demographic you fit into!

Virgin has it’s glamorous adverts for a reason!

Thing is, you will never know if the pilot is experienced or not.

I am sure all MF Crew have mastered above skills, otherwise they would not be in their positions.

Looking forward to your next TR.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 96 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls