BA Club Europe – Have they totally lost the plot?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 120 total)

• Hippocampus
    Participant

VintageKrug,

Are you referring to the rumour that has been doing the rounds that DME is to be taken over by Mixed Fleet and will operated by a 777 (which wasn’t possible before Mixed Fleet as Worldwide crew working practices prohibited them from doing a trip there and back in a day)?

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Swissdiver

You are perfectly at liberty to dislike my tone.

Certain posters on here are attacking Binman 62 for things he did not write.

I find this unfair and will comment robustly, although I do not know Binman or have any association with him.

If you don’t like it, you can either ignore it or report it to Tom Otley and colleagues who will no doubt look at it.

stevescoots
    Participant

I think i am going to grab a glass of brandy, a cigar, then tootle down to the garden shed to read this one, you boys have been busy today

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Tirana1

I am amazed that you believe that you understand why Binman wrote and that your comment is fair.

Binman’s whole post is comparing the reaction of BA and other legacy carriers to the loco phenonenom, in particular maintaining large numbers of convertible seats, which are no longer required due to market changes.

Yet you replied “On what conceivable basis can the assertion that BA is emulating Easy-Jet in its CE offering be justified?”

Binman did not say that BA was emulating easyJet in it’s CE offering.

Still, if you believe “I can read it perfectly well”, then good for you.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Hippo

Interesting rumour.

I understand from an acquaintance who works at BA that the club cabin on the route often has 80-90 people in the 767 and that a 777 has rather less, thus the preference to keep it as CE and on the 767.

Of course, this is secondhand nfo.

Swissdiver
    Participant

@DisgustedofSwieqi

You don’t need to insult people to “comment robustly”. It is actually weakening the point you want to make as people focus on the insult instead of your argument…

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Interesting that you perceive my comments as insulting.

Swissdiver
    Participant

“Am I correct in thinking that you are not a native English speaker?” sounds like “you idiot not being able to properly read or write in English”

Binman62
    Participant

Tirana1..”On what conceivable basis can the assertion that BA is emulating Easy-Jet in its CE offering be justified?”

BA has been trying to copy the Easy Jet model for years especially in Euro traveller enhancing services into oblivion.

Now however Easy Jet is taking on BA’s club product via the offer of flexibility.

Flexibility is often quoted as the rationale and justification for paying CE point to point fares but Easy Jet offer this degree of flexibility and at nothing like the fare levels of BA. The demise of CE as a product is best illustrated by the upgrade offers at the airport offering a glass of poo, something to eat and a bit more space for £60-£80.

As I demonstrated above, the benefits of CE to anyone with status are almost nonexistent save for a few extra miles and tier point if they are required. When you can travel in the same seat for less and get a very good picnic at Gordon Ramsey’s place in T5 for £15, the justification for CE fails. If you use flexibility as the argument that goes too when compared with Easy Jet fares.

Personally I am status conscious, I love flying in First or Club and would normally choose to do so, but I cannot justify it for CE unless in transit at LHR. That is why I crave a dedicated first type product in Europe. Call it what you like but a dedicated cabin with proper seating and some service is long overdue.

When compared to Asian short, US short haul or Australian short haul, CE is a second rate product and the fact that it is the best second rate product in Europe is not a reason to buy it.

NTarrant
    Participant

Binman – in someways I agree with you on the dedicated CE/F as you say call it what you like on the longer distant services. However, I don’t see EZY as offering the same product as BA in CE. You say you are status conscious but you would not get that status with EZY

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

“”Am I correct in thinking that you are not a native English speaker?” sounds like “you idiot not being able to properly read or write in English””

Why do you associate not being a native speaker with being an idiot?

In my mind, it could help to explain why someone does not comprehend certain things.

IIRC, VK once wrote that he is not from the UK (or at least not from England) and I was asking for clarification. It may be that s/he is a native speaker or not.

But if you wish to believe it was an insult, it is your privilege.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

NTarrant

If BA flexible euro tickets are issued as club and then easyjet offers ‘flexible tickets’ for their flights, then seems reasonable to opine that “Easy Jet is taking on BA’s club product via the offer of flexibility.”

Add in this micro site http://business.easyjet.com/ and it does indeed appear that easyJet is pushing flexibility v typical business class features.

Correct me if I am wrong, but Binman did not claim that easyJet is offering the same product, just that they are using the feature of flexibility as an attack on CE.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Binman

“When compared to Asian short, US short haul or Australian short haul, CE is a second rate product and the fact that it is the best second rate product in Europe is not a reason to buy it.”

It is not even the best second class product in Europe.

To name two better services, Cyprus Airways has proper 2 x 2 seating with 38″ pitch (even on A319/320) and Air Malta has 2 x hot towels, pre departure drinks, better food etc – Y class seats, however. I am sure others can add to this list.

Tirana1
    Participant

Binman

You state that “Easy Jet offer this degree of flexibility…” (ie the same as flexible CE). That is not correct. The product that Easy Jet is currently promoting simply allows date/time changes within a limited time window and incorporates the booking, luggage and speedy boarding fees – there is no option to cancel and secure a refund . It does allow greater flexibility than a normal ticket on Easy Jet but it is by no means “fully flexible”. It is not a comparison of like with like. Of course the product is not at comparable fare levels to CE – it includes no food, no drinks, no lounge access and cramped seating, with no ability to pre-book a seat. I suspect it is reasonable value (and I think highly of Easy Jet, albeit more for personal than business travel ).

VintageKrug
    Participant

Ahem:

http://www.parikia.co.uk/daily-news/cyprus-news/cyprus-news-in-english/10577-cyprus-airways-little-chance-of-long-term-viability.html

http://www.maltatoday.com.mt/news/national/updated-air-malta-losses-to-hit-%E2%82%AC50-million

Both Cyprus and Air Malta are teetering on the edge of bankruptcy, and their tiny fleets can in no way be compared with the 80+ shorthaul aircraft BA runs across a wide range of shorthaul distances and route profiles.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 120 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls