BA after swallowing bmi

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 116 total)

• batraveller2
    Participant

I dont know how to start a new topic but I have been reading VK’s old flyer posts before he was barred and i think most liked it when he didnt respond here. Mr Otley – why can you not follow flyer talk and bar vk – i am an avid support of ba but krug creates most distractions and upset on this website andt devalues the whole forum> please can you follow flyer talk so it can be a proper business forum.

AndyInSweden
    Participant

@ Hengli123 – 31/03/2012 13:22 GMT

I think you made an interesting point:

“There is also a (very remote) possibility that Gulf airlines may use this as an opportunity to get some fifth-freedom routes to London, as there may be cost advantages compared to obtaining slots normally.”

I think they could apply for the slots but will EU or respective countries grant the Gulf airlines local traffic rights for intra EU sectors (eg LHR-NCE)? I don’t think the Gulf airlines will get the local traffic rights for intra EU sectors.

RichHI1
    Participant

CXDiamond, done a bit of follow up on A330 question. Opinions have put forward a possibly hypothesis. Boeing traditionally marketed to airlines not passengers (thiugh 747 did have big PR back on launch in 1960’s). Airbus broke the mould with Minibus series and A380 marketing extensively to passengers. A330 did not offer a passenger syep change in experience crom A340 and was sold to airlines on savings not really passenger experience. This might explain consumer expressed preferences for the latter aircraft, rather than a dislike of the A330 experience. This is however supposition on my part based on asides and informal comments. No airline will tell uou any plane they own is less than the passenger favourite.

CXDiamond
    Participant

Interesting point RichHI1, thank you for making it. I can certainly remember a lot of A340 marketing as it was launched mostly focussed on the quiet cabin and of course compared to anything else that was around at the time, it was very quiet. Fortunately others are now stepping up to the mark in that regard and it’s no longer unique.

rferguson
    Participant

Didnt many airlines also promote the config in economy of the A330? 2 x 4 x 2 is certainly preferable to 3 x 4 x 3.

CXDiamond
    Participant

Indeed they did along with 2-2-2 in C rather than 2-3-2 on Boeings guaranteeing all an aisle or window seat. 1-2-1 in F became a norm too although that had been around on the 744 in some configs. On the 777 2-2-2 was still quite normal in F, imagine that today!

RichHI1
    Participant

I love the peace of 121 and the ease of aisle acces. I do however miss talking to some very interesting people in the old Twin seat days. The big win is flat beds don’t cut off your circulation like the old AA and JL First did. Flown many miles on TAM A330 in first before they bought 777’s ( and forgot to order first class seats ( took them a while to reconfigure and fix that one :-))

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

It would appear that 1200 BMI jobs are going to be cut by BA/IAG

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17693074

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

At least it looks like the front line staff at LHR are safe, they are some of the best in the business so that’s good news. Maybe some of the excellent cabin crew skills will rub off on their new colleagues.

While I’m sorry for the people at Donnington Hall, I can’t help but feel that if jobs had to go it was from there that they are justified. These are some of the people who have led BD on a mad rollercoaster ride for the last ten years which turned a profitable airline in to a disaster.

If there is any justice, SMB also ought to be hanging his head in shame.

canucklad
    Participant

I’m also hoping that BA take notice of their London Airway’s image that alot of us have here in Scotland and probably the same in Manchester,Newcastle etc . Cancel the contract with Servisair and use the excellent BMI staff as in-house proper BA staff….Not likely though !!!

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

I think there’s more chance of each of those airports getting a second runway for flying pigs to land on than BA reintroducing their own ground handling!

Of course the second runway could also be used for Virgin’s domestic services as I think pigs will fly first.

RichHI1
    Participant

I like it – AeroPuerco, the new service from IAG.

LeTigre
    Participant

I also agree that Castle Donnington staff are the ones responsible for the £3 million/week loss that has crippled the operations.

I hope that unlike just about every other deal with failing companies (takeovers, liquidation included) the executives will not end up with huge bonuses. I also hope that the directors will be banned.

Unfortunately, the London Airways image of BA is just being set in stone- the PR states that it is the staff in regional airports that are likely to be fired as well.

I guess 1500 is better than none to a great extent.

RichHI1
    Participant

LeTigre regrettable as it is, directors are banned for malfeasance not incompetence. On the plus side, respecting this principle keeps UK unemployment numbers down. If only shareholders had more power…

canucklad
    Participant

Here lies BMI

RIP

A slow death caused by neglect and lack of vision by Castle Donnington and Frankfurt

I shall personally miss you and thank you for getting me home to my family on more occasions that I can remember when your new owner just gave up !

Most of all thanks to all the staff that brought a smile to my face even on days when they clearly were stressed ,including many days of the last uncertain months!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 116 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls