Anyone entering the UK will be required to take a PCR test…

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 136 total)

• Chris in Makati
    Participant

[postquote quote=1129249]

I posted this earlier in the thread, but I’ll repeat it again here. If you hold an onward ticket to another international destination (airside or landslide transit) you’re exempted from the Day 2 PCR test. There’s a place in the Passenger Locator Form to indicate this.

I can’t see any reference in the rules as to how far in advance your next flight can be, but the following day is certainly ok. I’ve done this myself multiple times over the last few months.

1 user thanked author for this post.

JAZ
    Participant

Hi Chris, Thanks for your information. But the recent travel restriction in UK announced recently requires all Travellers to take a Day 0-2 Arrival test and SELF-ISOLATE in hotel until the negative result is released.

I notice that the Day 2 Arrival test can be taken at a clinic outside the Airport unlike in Singapore, on arrival PCR test must be taken at the Changi Airport. I wonder how effective the UK govt can help stop the spreading of disease. Imagine from Airport if the traveller take a train/bus/taxi to the clinic to take the test. How many people he would have interact with. LOL

Chris in Makati
    Participant

As I said, you’re exempt from the PCR test if you’re holding an onward ticket as you can be classed as a transit passenger. I did that just last Tuesday evening when arriving into Stansted and I know it works. I’ve done it many times before.

This is how you need to complete your Passenger Locator Form:

– Where it says “What are your travel plans” click on “Stay in the UK”.

– As you progress through the form when you get to the point where it says “Are you required to self-isolate when you arrive in the UK?” select “I have a government approved exemption from self-isolation”

– In the drop down box select the reason as “Transiting landside in UK and departing through England (England only) – Travel evidence required”

– Next, when it says “Are you required to book a COVID-19 test package for when you arrive in the UK?” select “No, I am exempt”

– Again, in the drop down box select the reason as “Transiting landside through the UK (England, Scotland and Wales only)”

You can then finish the form and get your QR code.

You will need to have your onward flight as evidence if asked. I have been asked for it twice. Once at the boarding gate for my inbound flight into the UK, and another time by UK Border. In both cases I have shown my flight itinerary for the following days flight and it has been accepted without question.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

[postquote quote=1129707]

Well we are doing exactly that. We land at Birmingham, we are triple vaccinated, and driving to East Midlands Airport for a drive through test, results in 24 hours. So close to Xmas any other testing method will likely mean we will be in a hotel over Xmas before the results are back!!

JAZ
    Participant

Thanks Chris for the detailed information. But I’m arriving in London on 12 Dec (Sun) at 7.10 am UK time and leaving UK the next day 13 Dec (Mon) at 4 pm UK time. I will be clearing the immigration custom and check into a hotel. Do I still qualify as transit passenger and be exempted from booking the COVID test package?

By the way what is that QR code? Would you mind sharing more what is that for?

Chris in Makati
    Participant

I have always entered a flight for the following day, and it’s always been accepted. You enter all the dates of arrival and departure on your locator form, so if the form accepts it I guess that’s good enough. According to the letter of the rules, if you’re transiting landside you’re supposed to travel directly to the departure airport.

The QR code is generated by the Passenger Locator Form system once you’ve successfully completed it. You can download a PDF copy immediately, or have them email it to you. That’s what you will need to show before you board your flight to the UK. Once you’ve arrived in the UK and have cleared immigration there are no further checks on what you actually do.

JAZ
    Participant

Thanks Chris for your swift response. One last question : Polly commented to tick the IN TRANSIT option on the PLF, if the traveller is departing the UK within 24 hours. For my case, is more than 24 hours as I arrive UK on 12 Dec (Sun) at 7.10 am and leaving for USA the next day 13 Dec (Mon) at 4 pm. Do I still qualify as transit passenger? Thanks!

Chris in Makati
    Participant

I’ve never seen any specific time period that you have to leave the UK within. The form only asks for departure dates anyway, not specific flight numbers or times. As I said, I’ve done this many times with flights sometime the following day and it’s never been a problem. The important thing is that you make sure you say “Stay in UK” at the beginning when asked about your travel plans. Don’t say airside transit.

JAZ
    Participant

Hi Chris, Thanks for your help. Greatly appreciate it.

Polly
    Participant

Jaz,

Now Chris has outlined the process so clearly, all you need to do is book this express PCR 3 hour if possible, to get your fit to fly certificate.
    As l mentioned way back, we used express test in Terminal 2, but in T5 also. If you want to be clear by your 6.30 meeting, this possibly is the one you need. We had results back before 3 hours were up. Really useful, but expensive. Will leave it up to you to decide which one you go for.
    You would have to specifically ask Halo,if they do fit to fly certificate as an express option. We just don’t know this. Good luck.

JAZ
    Participant

Thanks Polly.

Polly
    Participant

Jaz,

In Singapore, after we had our PCR in Changi, we were then able to go outside, get in any taxi or friends car to our hotel. And isolate until we got our result. So l guess you are trusted at LHR not to mingle too much, only essential movement. Get your test, find your hotel, get result and go to your meeting, all on the 1st day. It is very different to Singapore. Safe journey,

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Looks like a pre-departure test will now be required before travel to the UK, in addition to a PCR once arrived:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59534685

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Yup.

It’s back – pre-departure testing, and yet with the requirement for a Day 0-2 PCR test and quarantine as well.

Pre-departure tests for all UK arrivals from Tuesday

DavidSmith2
    Participant

As promised, I reporting back on use of the Pyser Testing Lab, at the Haymarket Hotel in Central London.

We used this today for a pre-departure PCR test. Cost was 75 pounds per test and results were send through about 11 hours after the test (same day).

The service here was impeccable. The lab is inside the Haymarket Hotel, just off The Haymarket in central London. So very practical if you commute through Charing Cross or you work anywhere in the Piccadilly/Leicester Square/Trafalgar Square area. Also if you have business visitors staying in central London.

We were in and out in 5 minutes – all very professional, polite and efficient – although the online booking system takes a while to wade through beforehand.

I would definitely recommend and we will be back there again next Saturday for a post travel PCR.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 136 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls