Anyone entering the UK will be required to take a PCR test…

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 136 total)

• PatJordan
    Participant

[postquote quote=1137945]

We had our tests this morning at LCY.

The service from Collinsons was very good: friendly, efficient and fast. We had our results emailed within 30 minutes of testing (both negative thankfully).

We were very impressed with the service and recommend it to anyone flying from LCY.

Pat

2 users thanked author for this post.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Still a lot of confusion out there…

1 user thanked author for this post.

Chris in Makati
    Participant

If they had clicked on that link where it says “Read more about taking a COVID-19 test before you travel to England”, they would have seen it says “You will need to find a private test provider to take a test”.

You can’t use a self-administered test, even if it was an NHS-issued test kit that you took with you to the other country.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Hi Chris,
    I think they knew that. There were some people turning up with NHS tests etc… but read this post by a lady who was denied boarding
    (it’s at #post 34)
    https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2061891-pre-departure-online-tests-not-being-accepted-ba-las-jfk-3.html

Chris in Makati
    Participant

The lady says her test was “BA approved”, but I’m not sure how accurate that statement is. BA have a long list of test providers on their website, with discount codes, all of which offer the entire range of tests available. I can only assume the lady picked the wrong type of test.

I do think the information on the government website could be clearer so as people are in no doubt what type of test they need for each purpose they intend to use it for.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Very few firms (if any) are giving any advice or recommendations which specific test to have for destinations, because rules change and these rules sometimes change in flight,
    as I witnessed last week. It’s all down to the passenger to research and have apply for the correct test.

Sometimes it’s just easier to go for the top level PCR then you have no worries – unless the PCR test for the destination requires a special accreditation.

Even with 3 shots in the arm, the challenges get more ridiculous by the week (or day)..

4 users thanked author for this post.

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=1161676]Sometimes it’s just easier to go for the top level PCR then you have no worries – unless the PCR test for the destination requires a special accreditation.[/quote]

Indeed Martyn. Returning from Israel a few weeks ago (before the current “lockdown”) I could not get a consistent bit of advice about what test (if any) was required pre-departure. So my wife and I paid for full pre-flight PCR tests (much cheaper than in the UK, however). This gave us peace of mind going to the airport.

In the event, the test certificates were not checked at any stage. Since then I have heard the same story from several people.

We would do the same again.

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

Now back in Glasgow in a pub opposite my flat in the “Beresford”.and just got by email my day 2 Negative result from Randox,,what a carry on..Knee jerk reaction from the clown Bogus almost lead me to cancel yet again but Mediclinic in CM..did the job..Bangkok Airways to Suwanna where KLM did indeed check my details.with a smile…including ..especially the UK location form..Just got a sort of welcome to Scotland from Nicola and NHS Scotland.. Glasgow..wishing me well..Weather cool..aye..

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I know people who are still waiting for the Day 2 Test on Day 6, which is a lot of extra days for travellers who are quarantining…. but of course some would say that’s a good thing – the more people inside, the less chance of it spreading. Not sure what happens to the economy and everyone’s mental health, though !
    Have a good Christmas, Tom

Polly
    Participant

Terry,

Great you made it back safely, and enjoying a pint in your local.. what a lot of mix up and unclear messaging. It is meant to literally put us off travel, am guessing. We are missing Asia already as we have no idea when we will return.

Halo spit test in LHR hotel had our results back within the 5 hrs. So that helped. £59 worth it. And less painful than yet another brain busting swab test..

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

Thanks Polly…think I may be repeating myself…what day is it?.Like the idea of the Halo Spit Test..My day x 2 at Randox was a horrible experience and I would not wish to do thatagain..ugg…regards..

Polly
    Participant

Hi Terry,

It was a our day 2 we took on arrivals back from SINGAPORE. At the Sofitel. Can take it between day 0-2. It was a walk in the park compared to what you had… highly recommend it. Surprising how long it takes to cheat 2.5ml of it tho… a weak person might not be so good at it… P

Chris in Makati
    Participant

Amazon to sell low-cost PCR Covid tests for UK travellers
    Exclusive: online retailer to price tests at £34.99 amid concerns over ‘rip-off’ market for consumers

Zoe Wood
    @zoewoodguardian
    Mon 13 Dec 2021 15.45 GMT

Amazon is to start selling low-cost Covid PCR test kits to travellers in a move that promises to shake up a market that has been described as a “rip-off jungle” for consumers.

The government-approved tests, which will be valid for the UK’s day-two, day-eight and “test-to-release” arrivals programmes, cost £34.99 each but will also be offered in discounted bundles. The retailer’s international arrivals service could be launched and listed on the government’s approved list of suppliers as soon as today….

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/dec/13/amazon-to-sell-low-cost-pcr-covid-tests-for-uk-travellers

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Doesn’t sound so much like confusion as making the decision themselves

Confusion as people flee quarantine hotels

DavidSmith2
    Participant

Just for info, we have now used Pyser Testing 3 times in the last 2 weeks. The third was today for our ‘fit to fly’ to leave the UK on Friday am. Got our results in around 6 hours each time. 75 pounds per test. Extremely sorted and quick. Within a smart, central London hotel and no waiting at all – in and out in 5 mins (except today when the receptionist and I were comparing notes on contracting cerebral malaria in DRC many years ago).

So that’s 6 tests in total, in 2.5 weeks, to visit 2 countries and take in a London show (Moulin Rouge). Just hope the arrival test in Accra doesn’t mess things up now.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 136 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls