Anyone entering the UK will be required to take a PCR test…

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 136 total)

• PatJordan
    Participant

Boris Johnson has stated that there is no requirement for anybody arriving from the Common Travel Area.

This echoes what is currently posted on the UK Government website.

Of course this is correct as of today, tomorrow is another day. Thanks everybody for adding to this thread, and I hope you all reach your destinations safely.

Pat

PatJordan
    Participant

Hi all,

I got this from the Gov UK website, updated today. Hope it’s of some help:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-to-england-from-another-country-during-coronavirus-covid-19

Pat

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Mrs FF made a quick trip to the UK and returned on 19 November after 7 days. On 20 November we received an e-mail and a text saying that she must isolate for 10 days as she had been in contact with somebody with COVID. I wrote to ask when the 10 days started and was told that she must isolate for 10 days, no dates mentioned. There is a form that you complete to confirm who you are and your address. The form asks if you are at the UK address and, when I clicked no, it asked me to add the postcode of the current address, but it will only accept UK post codes. I wrote back asking how we could put current address if it will only accept a UK post code. They replied saying that I should enter: ZZ993WZ and they will know you are not in England!

Meanwhile Trick or Treat telephoned Mrs FF to make sure that she was isolating. She asked when the 10 days started, and they said that they do not know, but you must isolate for 10 days. She then asked when the 10 days would end and was told that they do not cannot tell her as they do not have that information, but you must isolate for 10 days. Are you at home now? they asked, yes, in Portugal. OK, in that case you are exempt.

Meanwhile I had been pushing by e-mail for a start date of the 10 day isolation, but they refused to tell me. I asked if they can tell us who the contact was, where it took place, or when it took place. Sorry, we cannot answer any of those questions because of data protection!

We concluded that 10 day isolation must have started 10 days earlier:-)

3 users thanked author for this post.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

The rules (updated) are on this page

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-to-england-from-another-country-during-coronavirus-covid-19

What you must do if you arrive in England after 4am 30 November
    If you are fully vaccinated and arrive in England after 4am Tuesday 30 November, you:
    * must self-isolate
    * take a PCR test before the end of day 2 after you arrive (lateral flow tests will not be accepted)
    * can leave self-isolation if your PCR test result is negative

I arrived back in the UK at 1700 on Saturday. The first day counts as ‘0’, with Sunday being Day 1 and Monday (today) being Day 2.

So I should be taking a Lateral Flow Test today – but it hasn’t arrived in the post.

I imagine similar problems will occur with deliveries of PCR tests since there will suddenly be an increase in demand for these.

Of course we have lots of LTF tests at home from the NHS which we use when we are going to a crowded place or other venue where there are people who might be at risk (church yesterday for the Advent Carol service, for instance), so we have taken tests since we got back, but we are still waiting for the ‘official’ test.

Meanwhile, I am still being emailed by the Belgian PLF people to ensure that I am taking a PCR test since I am still in Belgium!

3 users thanked author for this post.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Could be worse, I suppose, we could do this…

Scotland and Wales call for tougher travel restrictions
    Nicola Sturgeon says she and Wales First Minister Mark Drakeford have written to Boris Johnson today calling for a tougher approach to travel restrictions.
    It would see anyone arriving in the UK asked to isolate for eight days – taking tests on day two and day eight.

1 user thanked author for this post.

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=1119152]Mrs FF made a quick trip to the UK and returned on 19 November after 7 days. On 20 November we received an e-mail and a text saying that she must isolate for 10 days as she had been in contact with somebody with COVID. I wrote to ask when the 10 days started and was told that she must isolate for 10 days, no dates mentioned.[/quote]

In th third week of October my wife and I both got pinged similarly. However, we could work out easily where the contact had occurred – at the GP surgery a couple of days earlier, when we received our booster jabs! This was the only public place we had been together in the 10 days earlier.

But, where I am confused about the rest of your post is the steps you were told to take. We were not told to fill in any form but were advised to take an immediate (free) PCR test and remain isolated until the we had the results. We booked it the same day and went down to the local testing centre. If it was negative (which it was, a few hours later) we could resume a normal life – which we did.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

RomP

You’ll need to take a PCR test on your return to the UK. Those are the rules and no exemptions for those recently recovered. I know plenty of people who have been positive and then taken subsequent PCR tests to enable them to travel.

2 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1119174]t would see anyone arriving in the UK asked to isolate for eight days – taking tests on day two and day eight.[/quote]

Is Ms Sturgeon suggesting 8 days quarantine upon landing at point of entry into the UK or after arriving at a passengers destination. Seems pretty pointless making someone quarantine after arrival, if they have the freedom to travel the length of our Island, mixing with ‘locals’… along the way whether by air or other public transport.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

ASK1945,
    I am almost certain that the contact was on her outbound flight on 12 November as the alert would have come from PLF which had my e-mail and her mobile. This means that they only pinged her to quarantine a full 8 days after contact. The alert to my e-mail gave a link to the form to be completed, and the ridiculous saga that ensued and ended with TaT hiding behind Data Protection, on the 9th day after contact must have taken place, on a flight.

A similarly stupid situation occurred in August when 2 sets of friends, all fully jabbed, flew from FAO to the UK on the same day. The ones flying to BHX were pinged on Day 2 and told to isolate. Our friends pointed out to TaT that they were fully jabbed and had a negative PCR test. TaT said, OK, you’re free to go.

The other set of friends flew to LTN, were pinged on Day 2 and told to isolate. Friends called TaT and said that they are fully jabbed and had a negative PCR test. They were told. Don’t care, you must isolate for 10 days, and kept phoning them for 8 days.

Justin Germany
    Participant

I also agreed with DavidSmith2, the PCR test itself isn’t the main problem, it’s the self isolation until the result arrives. Does anybody know of a Day 2 PCR Test which can be taken onsite at a clinic with the results guaranteed by end of day? I mean if you are already in the UK, you can buy such services, so there must be an option somewhere in London that conducts these as an approved Day 2 Test. I will keep researching myself and phone around and keep fingers crossed that the scientists find enough data over the coming days to make a conclusion on both the vaccines’ effectiveness and the severity of the symptoms and hopefully assert that it’s no worse than the Delta variant overall. And of course I’ll post the information here in case I find a provider of the above!

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

From what I have learned, the 3-hour rapid PCR test is not valid for Day 0-2.

You can read more here

https://www.businesstraveller.com/features/how-to-get-a-day-2-pcr-test-at-heathrow-airport/ and in the comments at the bottom.

Most testers only promise 24-hour turnarounds at the moment – which means quarantining which is obviously causing huge potential problems for many travellers – and the travel industry.

4 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I have a day 2 PCR test kit to take with me on my trip to Asia next week, rather than waiting for the kit on my return. On arrival back into the UK, will use the test kit as soon as I land and as long as I can find out where the laboratory for Randox is (any help will be appreciated), will drop the envelope off, on my way home.

[quote quote=1119297]which means quarantining which is obviously causing huge potential problems for many travellers[/quote]

absolutely right Tom – the announcement on Sunday caused me to delay some new business in France today as I was not expecting to have to quarantine on my return.

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=1119306]On arrival back into the UK, will use the test kit as soon as I land and as long as I can find out where the laboratory for Randox is (any help will be appreciated), will drop the envelope off, on my way home.[/quote]

Martyn

I used a Randox home kit for my day 2 PCR early in October (when PCRs were still necessary). I dropped it off at Chase Lodge Private Medical Practice (in a dedicated bin near to the entrance inside the perimeter). The practice is at the top of Page Street, Mill Hill, near to the entrance to StoneX stadium (Saracens RFU). From memory, the collections are at 10 pm each night. I had the reult by early afternoon the following day.

Polly
    Participant

Pat,

We have to test to go back into Ireland now, worryingly…saw something online yesterday on our head for points. Don’t have the link, but will,post if l find it…

Polly
    Participant

Hoping Express test at LHR who already do the 3 hr fit to fly PCR, might be able to get a lab contract for sequencing to gov standard requirements. Collinson have already said they cannot do their 3 hr PCR to gov requirements. So it’s definitely an issue, and we are stuck with the normal express one on arrival for £69, results in 24 hrs. But still must isolate til cleared. Some people on hfp are reporting the results are back in 12 or less hours.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 136 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls