Air France emergency landing

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 91 through 103 (of 103 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

Every accident has a cause and as Craig says, it’s often a series of things which come together that create a disaster. The manufacturers may try and blame the pilot, but the final cause is the job of the Aircrash Investigator to discover.

Each accident teaches a new lesson which in turn make flying that much safer. Cold comfort if you’re on the plane but a comfort perhaps to the rest of us.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Actually Craig, they were not my examples.

RichHI1
    Participant

Bucksnet how many flying hours do you have logged?

Bucksnet
    Participant

I am not a pilot.

RichHI1
    Participant

Ah OK.

TominScotland
    Participant

Am I the only one to find the infantile prattling which has taken over this thread somewhat tedious?

theworldtraveller
    Participant

back to the topic … AF have had so many incidents and accidents now, there have to be questions asked about the management and the culture of the company. They can be all bad luck

I do not think they are a safe airline and would never fly on them.

(I love france as a country though and would happily holiday there every year!)

canucklad
    Participant

As mentioned earlier AF must be obliged to adhere to strict safety reg’s. Even if they just adhere. It must still be safish to fly AF. And on my yearly boys holiday to the HK 7s we take the cheap AF option and apart from CDG everything is tickety boo. The cabin crew even laugh and engage with me when I attempt west coast canadian french ! The bar concept at the rear galley is good and the crew not omly chat but sincerley do not small chat. Oh by the way in English!

Vertrek
    Participant

TominScotland
    no you are not!

theworldtraveller
    Have you checked American Airlines? United Airlines? Continental Airlines?

RichHI1
    Participant

Whilst Air Travel is undoubtedly getting safer, I found this site that lists airlines without a fatality since 1970. It is amazing how fewof the big names are there in Europe, Asia or Americas.

http://www.airsafe.com/events/regions/eu_nofat.htm

Vertrek
    Participant

According to wikipedia,

SQ only has 1 fatal accident throughout their history, caused by miscommunication with ATC in Taipei (2000)

KLM has only 1 major accident which happened in 1979 and it was caused by miscommunication.

BA has only 1 major accident caused by coalition in the 70s

CX, after 1970 has no fatal accident except being bombed in 1973, which is not the company’s fault but the airport’s.

So, I am pretty sure these 4 airlines deserved to be in that list.

RichHI1
    Participant

Vertrek I think you are playing wih statistics to suit your case. Don’t forget BA (under their holiday brand at the time had the fire in Manchester (what is a coalition? PI crashed through a stall) and I remember a few Fokker incidents for KLM.
    If you look at the base facts it shows that air travel is getting safer (though in cases like BA38 more by luck then judgement). I just found it interesting who the crash free airlines like Finnair and Qantas were.

Vertrek
    Participant

Hello RichH1

Most of the research are based on statistical measurements, especially regarding this matter.

Opps… it was meant to be “Collision”.
    Also, the website you post on the forum only refers to “no fatal accident” which mean they based the rank on the number of fatal accidents, not incident, hence my argument.

However, if you look it from the day they first founded, SQ (under their current name) only had 1 major accident and 2 incidents. Qantas had 12 accidents which happened before the 70s and 7 incidents throughout their history. So, logically, without any proper statistical measurements (which include their age, flying hours and so on), SQ is the safer one. 🙂

But yes, generally air travel is getting safer and safer.

Safe Travel.

Viewing 13 posts - 91 through 103 (of 103 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls