Air France emergency landing

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 103 total)

• Bucksnet
    Participant

The last Air France crash was flight 358 at Toronto, and I’ve no theory on it.

TiredOldHack
    Participant

The Beeb manages to offend and irritate every government in power, whether left- or right-wing. In my book, that means it’s doing its job right.

TiredOldHack
    Participant

> craig, my position is that the BA 777 was sabotaged and the ice crystal explanation was a cover up.

Bucksnet, the world is full of people who believe in cover-ups. It always amazes me that those devious cover-ups are so transparently obvious and ill-handled.

‘The last Air France crash was flight 358 at Toronto, and I’ve no theory on it.’

I happened to be close-by at the time and I remember it well, partly because of the live TV streaming from a motorway surveillance camera that happened to overlook the scene. The pilot touched down halfway down the runway in very strong tail winds and fetched up in the same gully an AC DC9 had some years previous. Given the jingoistic nature of some of the postings here I am probably going to regret saying this (I have both British & French nationalities) but it is a matter of record that the AF pilot had rejected the ATC suggestion that he divert shortly after an incoming BA pilot had agreed to divert.

canucklad
    Participant

I can’t theorise. On the Atlantic crash. What I can say is that at the end of the chat that the pilots had theier conclusion was that although maybe not the primary factor in the disaster they would have been happier flying their version of the Airbus. I got the impression that it is well known within the industry that AF will not always purchase the more advanced componets. That is not to say their unsafe just not as reliable. Think. Skoda v Volkswagon or Aldi v M & S

Bucksnet
    Participant

TiredOldHack, the world is full of people who believe whatever they’re told, like BA38 and a pitot tube being the cause of the AF447 ‘crash’ even though there was no communication from the pilots, and the wreckage was spread over a wide area.

AF358 is not in dispute. This was pilot error in bad weather, a pilot who thought he knew best. I’m glad BA pilots are better trained and more cautious.

TiredOldHack
    Participant

Isn’t it amazing, then, that despite there being no communication and such a widely spread debris field, that some people evidently have access to information that means they can say the official statement is bullshit.

Now, about the Bush/CIA/FBI destruction of the WTC…..

Bucksnet
    Participant

Oh dear, another discussion descending into conspiracy theories.

Modern planes don’t just fall from the sky, and if they did then the pilots would be on the radio saying ‘mayday’ or ‘oh f**k we’re gonna crash’ or whatever French pilots would say in the face of sheer terror. Work it out TOH.

canucklad
    Participant

Or in extremeley bad weather believed their instraments and flew it into the sea. The currents can account for the wide wreckage especially mid atlanic

TiredOldHack
    Participant

“Modern planes don’t just fall from the sky”

Yes, they do. As for conspiracy theories, you are the one pretending to knowledge not accessible to us mere mortals….

Bucksnet
    Participant

So why would the pilots not say anything on the radio? And even with no instruments, a pilot must be able to tell that they are descending.

What examples can you tell us TOH of a plane that has just fallen from the sky?

And as for conspiracy theories, trying to establish the facts is not a conspiracy theory. A conspiracy theory is a theory as to why people have conspired to cover up what has happened.

TiredOldHack
    Participant

There was that commuter plane in the US that iced up and just fell out of the sky – American Eagle, some time in the 1990s.. There was the Hudson River incident. There was the Air Florida crash into the Potomac – that was a failed take-off, but it still staggered into the air, and then fell out of it. Those are three, off the top of my head.

Further back, there were the infamous dead-stall incidents involving T-tails.

Are you feeling silly now?

canucklad
    Participant

If the BA. Incident was sabotage then whoever the sabatouer was should seek another proffesion. I do agree that modern aircraft can just fall out of the sky but ultimately it almost always has human error as the root cause either down to crew misjudjement or a breakdown in maintenance standards. Although I am right in saying they still don’t know why those 737s suddenly nose dived when on finals

canucklad
    Participant

TOH~ you’ve proved my point. The Air Florida plane didn’t fall out of the sky because it never really got into the sky due to pilot negligence in not de icing the wings again. And as far as I remember due to the airmanship of the Huidson pilots they actually flew the plane and landed it safely after what could have been a catastrophic failure.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Add to that list Tired the Birqenair crash at Puerto Plate in the late 90’s, just shown on Aircrash Investigations.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 103 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls