Air France emergency landing

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 103 total)

• LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

I am not a fan of AF and they have had incidents that have hit the headlines over the last few years but in the main, everyone has survived. Is that not a tribute to the professionalism of AF crews rather than something to criticise them for. I know their crews have a reputation for speaking English grudgingly but I’ve never had a problem and find as usual, if you are polite to them, they are polite back.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Christope, I think there’s a bit of Anglo-Saxon anti French feeling going on in Britain at the moment and that might explain the biased reporting – though it’s not correct from an organisation which should be unbiased.

Unfortunately the BBC these days is not totally unbiased.

Bucksnet
    Participant

The BBC is very biased indeed. It is very anti British due to extensive, long standing and ongoing CP penetration at what must be by now all levels of the organisation.

Binman62
    Participant

The passenger interviewed by the BBC and whom made the claims that the crew refused to help on arrival and who claimed not to speak any English was Norwegian, not British. I would be fiercely critical of any airline or customer orientated organisation who refused help or assistance in similar circumstances.

VintageKrug
    Participant

It must have been a very difficult situation, but nonetheless it doesn’t reflect well on the individual cabin crew, or Air France itself:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17273569

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I believe that by and large flight deck crew on international airlines are required to speak English – does a similar rule apply to (at least a proportion of) cabin crew?

MarcusUK
    Participant

The BBC account was from a passenger on Board, who was clearly shocked and “Lost” in terms of explanation, and a witness to what happened on Board. Many problems occur on Aircraft all over the world, but information, honesty, and a decent Crew manage these easily, with no panic, look at the regular happenings on Qantas!

The crew reactions sound un-supportive, un-professional, and selfish.

I Flew them CDG – SIN recently, every aspect of the flights was poor, including technical problems with the aircraft, broken seats.

All the crew spoke English, it would be most unusual for any International flight staff in the cabin or cockpit, not to be able to, as it is a requirement, and the International language of Air travel, as mentioned on BT in many forms over the years.

In my experience the KLM Standards far exceed AF. And that includes maintenance, and flight professionalism completely different…and i find it difficult to even see any of the same standards in every single aspect of ground, technical, and in flight services.

I have vowed NOT to fly AF but on local Cityjet services only.

I am not convinced by AF;s technical safety, the “Burying” of the outcome of the fallen Airliner, and their lack of Corporate decency in handling the matter themselves.
    I find the crews uninterested, arrogant, and un-professional over a 10 yr period each time i have flown.

This report does not surprise me when such an incident occurs, that at the time needed most, these are not the Aircraft, crews, or Airline you want to be travelling with!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Indeed, AF seem to be in denial. They say it was a fault with the circuit breaker, but no actual smoke on board. Passenger reports seem to indicate there was smoke. How hard can to be to simply say “smoke on board, aircraft diverted, all safe”. These denials are what makes me wary of flying AF ever again.

Another incident with AF:

http://avherald.com/h?article=44bb07f6&opt=0

Not really their fault but again the press releases could be better handled!

ChrisBuda82
    Participant

The BBC is anti British in every way these days Sky news is better. If AF is so bad is KLM bad I used to fly with them a lot but they gone down a lot since AF takeover.

RIlic29
    Participant

Enough is enough, I think that AF must admit themselves that their safety culture is low. So many incidents and accidents in last decade or so. Remember Concorde in Paris, Toronto emergency evacuation on A340, AF447 over Atlantic, A380 NYC route cancellations, this incident….? This is too much, rally!

Pierre
    Participant

Hi, I am also French and the anti French comments are not only amusing, they are often very naive..As if UK planes & services were always on the top list.. (I remember a 777 landing on the belly some two years ago in London: was still parked there recently). The most funny comments are related to CDG & its transfer policy; it shows obviously that most UK passengers never transfer in London. And they are right. Nice week end !

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Just for the sake of balance, I have flown AF since 1978 and have found the crews to be generally professional and often friendly.

PierreAntoine’s comment about changing at London is interesting – I find Heathrow to be potentialy time consuming in peak hours, but still less so than CDG. However, neither are as bad as DXB!

On the other hand, ORY is a user friendly and efficient airport and I like using it, even though it is a ‘1950s’ type design.

Pierre
    Participant

Hi,
    I agree that transferring at CDG was not a bed of roses, but for the last years there were major improvements & refurbishements at all terminals, not mentioning the most recent to face the traffic increase.Arriving/Departing from one and the same terminal at LHR is fine, but transitting is definitely not so easy. (kind of Francfort in much bigger). Orly is fine, but I never use it.
    There is an interesting project ‘Grand Paris’ which will connect Orly to the TGV network as CDG already is.
    I skip DXB & similar, enjoying direct flights to my final destination. The shorter the trip, the better, and transitting at night in this shopping mall, no thanks.

RichHI1
    Participant

I believe the posters on this site are not anti French but can verge on subconscious blanket xenophobia. Personally I have no feelings either way about France and the Fremch, like everywhere else there is good and bad. I do however distrust Air France’s safety standards and the quality of BBC journalists and editorial bias.

christopheL
    Participant

RIlic 29,
    Do you think the Concorde accident was a typical exemple of AF safety culture ? AF and BA Concordes were exactly the same and the technical problem wich made the accident happen (weakness of fuel tanks) had to be resolved on both AF and BA aircrafts.
    Do you think the A380 NYC route cancellations are AF responsability but SQ’s, QF’ and EK’s are not the operating airline’s responsability ?
    I’m sure you remember that 3 AF passengers died when the roof of CDG 2E collapsed a few years ago. One may wonder if this was not AF responsability too …
    Critics is good when justified
    Trop de critique tue la critique

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 103 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls