Why do they do that?!

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 134 total)

• MrMichael
    Participant

Canucklad, i must disagree with you. Give me a nice Costa Latte or Cafe Nero cappuccino anyday. “White coffee” is so last century! Interestingly I was chatting to the owner of my local Starbucks concession a couple of weeks ago and was amazed to hear that: Starbucks is aimed at the 16-24 age group, Costa at the 25 – 45 age group and Cafe Nero for oldies like me.

TiredOldHack
    Participant

A few more come to mind:

The mental defectives who’ve confiscated the toothpaste and toothbrush I’ve been given on the aeroplane – why?

But generally:

Airport ‘duty-free’ shops that overcharge dramatically for things like confectionery.

People on the tills at said shops who ask me if I want a brick-sized bar of chocolate just because I’ve bought a newspaper. If I wanted sodding chocolate, I’d have it in my basket.

Those in-terminal lotteries where you’re invited to buy a £50 ticket to win an Aston Martin or something. I don’t know why they annoy me. They just do.

Monarch Airlines. Just because. And I’m flying with them tomorrow.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

TiredOldHack – 23/01/2015 09:29 GMT
    Monarch Airlines. Just because.

+1

IanFromHKG
    Participant

The smug git who decided that it would be a good idea to prevent people taking trollies onto the Heathrow Express platform. And, in fact, that they would put barriers in place meaning you have to cart your bags several hundred yards to the train. I hope one day all the wheels fall off your luggage at the barrier just as you tread on a nail with one foot, twist the other ankle, and throw your back out. And I hope your luggage is extra heavy that day too, you bastard. With a bit of luck, you’ll just miss the last train and have to cart it all back as well.

And here’s another one. Shrink-wrapped soap. WTF???

Oh, and anything sold in an airport shop that comes in that thick heat-sealed plastic that you need a knife or scissors to open, in just precisely the one type of place on earth where you aren’t allowed to have one.

FAs who bring your jacket back an hour before you land.

Porters who insist on taking your bags the last ten feet when you have already manhandled the damn things through several miles of shag-piled corridors but who expect a tip for getting it from the door of the hotel to the door of the cab,

Cabdrivers who stand idly by their car while you load the bags into them instead of helping.

Airline check-in staff that call economy passengers to the premium check-in desks even though they can see you ten feet away heading straight for them.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

Ian_from_HKG – 23/01/2015 09:59 GMT
    And here’s another one. Shrink-wrapped soap. WTF???

Indeed!

I have wasted countless hours of my life trying, in vain, to have these bloody little soaps opened! Good call Ian.

Rgds.
    AOTG.

TiredOldHack
    Participant

He’s reminded me:

Those liquid soap dispensers in showers and by washbasins, instead of proper soap, in bars, as God intended.

K1ngston
    Participant

+1 Ian_from_HKG you’re killing me today I was depressed but have read all your entries and you are one p***ed of fella…. A man from my own heart!
    To the tipping in USA, I don’t mind paying for good service my point was the suggestion on how much to pay that grips my s**t if I have had good service I will tip for it… And agreed the service here in Asia is also wonderful and tipping is not expected or 10% is added generally …

IanFromHKG
    Participant

What can I say, K1ngston, backache makes me grumpy!!

Poshgirl58
    Participant

Liquid soap dispensers labelled soap/shampoo/conditioner. Having washed hands with it and marvelled at the astringent qualities, there’s no way it’s going on my hair. Perhaps it’s a girl thing??

K1ngston
    Participant

Well I hope venting the spleen is helping the pain, I feel for you Ian_from_HGK keep em coming 🙂

TiredOldHack
    Participant

I’m quite happy to wash my hair using soap, shampoo or even weashing-up liquid (it’s the same stuff as shampoo, really), but even I draw the line at what comes out of those squeezy dispensers.

And we all know the reason why they’re there: because they’re cheaper.

BigDog.
    Participant

Companies who operate premium rate lines, raking it in whilst you are kept routing through their call handling then wait …. and wait….. and wait…
    and you continue to paying them whilst you are waiting…
    ….. then after 5-10 minute wait they suggest sending an e-mail…
    …. even then they often don’t resolve the problem.

Good to see Ryanair have been fined…

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/11365367/Ryanair-fined-550K-for-poor-customer-service.html

The V.Meldrew esq. appreciation society is in rude health and open for new members 😉

TominScotland
    Participant

PLEASE, seasonedtraveller, don’t take us there again – must be one of the most over aired theme on this forum…….

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

@ TominScotland – 24/01/2015 10:45 GMT
    PLEASE, seasonedtraveller, don’t take us there again – must be one of the most over aired theme on this forum…….

oops, didn’t realise – Now deleted 🙂

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Deleted it too soon, seasonedtraveller, now I don’t know what the over aired theme was……..

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 134 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls