Why do they do that?!

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 134 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

Couldn’t stop laughing Canucklad. And i moan when the first drops through the shower head are lukewarm! Though Poshgirl, I prefer not to visualise it!

MrMichael
    Participant

As I got on my train today I suddenly remembered my main rant on the subject of travel. 5 abreast seating on SouthWestTrains…..excruciatingly uncomfortable even with only four people sat down. I have complained about this numerous times to anybody that I even think just might be listening. I even told the rather rotund Eric Pickles MP and minister for local government once, he was not aware (even though he works and lives on the SWT network area). He informed me that “for train operating company’s the traveller is king”. Eric Pickles is not of this world, wish I was on his!

PatJordan
    Participant

Ian, hope your back problems improve: not at all pleasant.

Now, for my rants……….

Quiet zones in lounges, trains….defiled by self-important, selfish goons having loud conversations on mobile devices without a thought for others.

Coaches in airports ferrying passengers from aircraft to terminal buildings……cold days, doors wide open, not a screed of heat….and when grabbing the handrails to avoid falling… getting frostbite from the cold metal.

Whilst waiting to speak to a human being in the airlline, bank, utility, etc which constantly reminds us how important this call is to the organisation….grrrrrrrrr

Safe travels to all !!

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

MrMichael

I’m going to increase your pain here. As overcrowding is a huge issue on SWT and no space for extra trains one of the things being seriously considered is 5 across seating on all SWT trains/services. Might be being driven by DoT, I’ll check, but utter madness. Especially as new Thameslink stock I think we revert to 4 across.

K1ngston
    Participant

I too wish I needed a hair dryer alas those days long gone!

OK my rant, why oh why do I always pick the slowest ****** queue when I an in an immigration queue? Example yesterday arrived into Bangkok went into line and then realised the jobsworth was looking at everyones stamps in their passport … give me strength.. Why in the 21st century can the systems that they use be quick and help us on our way?

Rant 2 Hotels that charge me for wifi WTF is all that about, or even worse offer you free wifi that is slower than slow and then charge you a ridiculous rate for “super duper” and then once having clicked find that is just as s**t?

By the way go to the reception and when they have charged you say I thought i had free internet and they will more often than not remove the cost, but recently at a rate per hour at a hotel in Singapore internet was more expensive than the room!!

Rant 3 Avios points and upgrade vouchers whats the point BA?? I can have an update when I’m 93 if I book now ……….

There you go rant over great thread Ian and wish that back better

MrMichael
    Participant

Timfitzgerald, thanks for the heads up, I will start making a noise. I can see in theory why they think that 5 abreast gets more people in, but I am not sure it does. You see where you have five abreast it is so squeeze often the middle seat of the three is unused. Thus you have four people uncomfortable because the contours of the seat are so narrow. If you do have five people sitting abreast then those in aisle seats have one butt cheek in the aisle each, so nobody can stand there. It don’t work, it does not increase capacity, it just hacks people off. If you do have a name at DfT let me know, I will have a (polite) word in their ear. I have contacts at DfT but they are highways.

By the way Canucklad, your rant about women at ATM,s…..you would be impressed with MrsM who I am sure can get money out of an ATM by just walking briskly past it. Look at my bank balance, I can prove it!

K1ngston
    Participant

canucklad +1 that made me roar as its happened to us all at some point 🙂

TiredOldHack
    Participant

Complicated hotel TV systems. How many times have I tried to turn off the canned music coming from a TV that isn’t displaying anything?

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

*> Places large soap box at feet:
    *> Ascends said box:
    *> Engages typing fingers

So, it has been mentioned on this thread already, and I have also mentioned it before, but my absolute pet peeve is the use and abuse of mobile phones. WHY is it beyond the comprehension of normal, rational and sometimes intelligent people to not answer their phones? The instant it rings, these aforementioned good people turn into the most ignorant and rude douchebags known to mankind. Can the call be oh-so urgent as to necessitate a long and uninteresting call whilst sat in a crowded lounge/on a crowded train or wherever there are other humans around?

Many is the time I look at the call on my own phone, deem whether or not I actually need to speak to the person calling, and if I don’t, I simply ‘red phone’ it and send a text explaining I am in transit/in crowded place. Alternatively, if I do need to speak to the caller, I point blank refuse to turn into one of those pompous windbags and get off my (not inconsiderable) rear-end and vacate the area I am in to avoid those around me having to listen to my inane drivel.

It bewilders me why public places don’t have more “no phone” signs, a restaurant I frequent has lately put up these signs and they get my custom more oft than not when I am out dining, is it really too much to ask that whilst I am out enjoying a meal that I am not listening to Windy-McGasbag slavering into his mouthpiece?

I am sure the world (at least my world) would improve dramatically if the me-me-me-me brigade could, just for that little nanosecond as their obnoxious ring-tone goes off, actually have half a thought about their impact on everyone else.

Oh, and I am thoroughly irritated about this thread as K1ngston beat me to the whole charging for wifi thing……I need to take extra blood-pressure medication with me if I’ve not stayed in a hotel before on the off-chance wifi is chargeable as I tend to lose all rational thought and demand to speak to manager/hotel owners/town mayor/Parishioner and of course the MP for the ward to vent my considerable rage at them daring to charge me for something I can get for free in McDonalds and ASDA…..anyhoos, I shall now alight my cube.

Rgds.
    AOTG.

PerthWA
    Participant

Thank you for the opportunity of putting my rant out in public.

Hotels.

1. What is it with hotel shower designers that give you a shower that it impossible to reach into to turn the water on without getting wet? Usually with icy cold water? While you may well be in your pjs?!

2. What is it with the super sleek ridiculously complicated no instructions tap ware? Can’t there just be one hot one cold? Preferably that says which is which.

3. Panel /iPad/sensor controlled room lighting systems. Just a simple switch will do please not a master plan meant for world domination just a simple switch to turn the light out. This real frustration ended in future zero tolerance after recent experience in super duper hi tech Dubai after arriving from New York, fed up and tired I could not turn the lights out. Every time I moved the sensor sensed me and turned them all back on! After 20 minutes gave up, slapped on my excellent emirates eye pads and saw … Darkness. And yes, got a freezing blast in the shower next morning complete with overhead disco lights!

planegeek
    Participant

On a trip to Vancouver last week I discovered the first hotel sink in 5-10 years that actually had a plug that did its job, ie hold water to allow me to shave

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

I HAVE to agree 100% with all the comments referencing the use of mobile phones in public places – self important bloody idiots!

10th January, mid-day, in the BA 1st lounge at LHR, a loud mouthed Italian ‘gentleman’ was on the phone complete with headphones and built in microphone – what really annoyed me was the fact that, instead of having a quiet conversation in a corner somewhere, he marched round and round the length of the lounge, in a circle, including directly behind my seat (where i was quietly trying to read the newspaper, pre flight) talking really loudly whilst continuing to pace…

Rude simply doen’t sum it up…

Said ‘gent’ kept this behaviour up for around 20-25 minutes – how on earth do some people find this behaviour to be acceptable?

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

MrMichael

Taken from this months Modern Railways (Jan15) which has an article on SWT and expected growth up to 2043. (Page 10/11).

“There are a few services which can be lengthened to ensure that all operate at there maximum formation, and SWT is looking at resourcing the necessary rolling stock to do this. A further 2tph (trains per hour) could be provided using the existing infrastructure, although the report expresses concern that this could have a negative impact on performance. It also suggests the provision of 3+2 seating on Class 158,159 and 444 Units (which currently have 2+2 seating in standard) as a means of raising capacity, whilst recognizing that the 3+2 seating configuration is unpopular with passengers”

Report is written by Network Rail and South West Trains Wessex Alliance.

MrMichael
    Participant

@TimFitzgeraldTC

So SWT and Network rail think 5 abreast seating on a train is unpopular……really. Have they ever sat in such a seat for the better part of two hours, I think they would use stronger words than unpopular if they had done so.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

I totally agree – and with your points about knees in aisles.

They are obviously completely mad (or input your own descriptive word). Especially as people are getting larger – not smaller is just utter stupidity. Like the plane debate around what type of aircraft you get – I do my utmost where possible to avoid trains that have 3+2. The middle seats of the 3 is so rarely taken – and when it is taken it is utterly horrible. And it reduces space for standing – which ironically enable more people to get on a train (I stand instead of taking a middle of the 3). I’d hazard a guess that trains with 3+2 actually have fewer people sitting on average – and also reduces the total number of people you can fit in a carriage. I hope my rant passes the rant test for this thread!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 134 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls