Why do they do that?!

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 121 through 134 (of 134 total)

• seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Kingston

Oh dear, I am one of those Northerners of whom you speak (Leeds) but even with my Northern roots, I was brought up by my (Oxbridge educated) parents to be a ‘nice respectable chap’
    Working 20 years for a USA company in the past, taught me that, in business, the nice guy comes last BUT I have to say, being Mr Nice guy (actually being generally a decent sort) has served me very well indeed.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ seasonedtraveller – 13/02/2015 02:12 GMT

Added to which, you can look at yourself in the mirror. Not unimportant at the end of the day!

jsn55
    Participant

Oh Kingston, this is a most marvelous story! How I wish I had the nerve to do more than stare & glare at the idiots … or if I’m feeling really brave, ask them to lower their voices.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I went into my bank today and phoned the call centre of another to let them know I will be travelling to Asia and please put a travel marker on my card.

Answer – we don’t do that, we may randomly block your card until you answer a text message (from the bank) or we may want to speak to you (from the call centre of another bank).

OK, I know there is security, but for goodness sake, WHY DO THEY DO THAT???????

FirstClassWannabe
    Participant

When airlines serve dinner, why do they provide butter that is rock hard. You would have to wait about half an hour for it to spread so you end up scraping a little of at a time. This happened on a recent flight and the butter was served in a separate dish but was almost frozen. The bread on the other hand had been warmed up, probably to melt the butter but it was like eating dough.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Why do airlines serve hot drinks in icey cold cups…

TiredOldHack
    Participant

MartynSinclair – I had that in New York in November. Drove me utterly mad.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Ref post 20/02/2015 18:07 GMT

The bank I went into, blocked my card.

The bank whose call centre I telephoned, did not block my card.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Martyn Sinclair

I have the same issue with my credit card provider.

Following the decline of both my cards (with the same bank) a long conversation with the UK call centre explaining to them AGAIN, that I fly pretty much every week, to different countries, many different cities & have done so for years so why are you blocking my card?
    Can’t you flag my account with a ‘frequent traveller’ note attached?

Answer was same as you – No, we don’t do that, you will have to phone this number prior to travel….
    But, says me, that means calling you every week – every single week??
    They pretty much told me they can’t / won’t help – if I don’t call, my card will be blocked.

I now use a different card, from a different bank.

BRin1406
    Participant

Why does the bank that I have banked with for over 30 years suddenly decide I have to prove who I am by means of a passport, plus utility bills otherwise they will close my account. They have never asked for proof of who I am when my salary is paid in every month.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

MartynSinclair – 20/02/2015 18:25 GMT : Why do airlines serve hot drinks in icey cold cups…

Annoying, I agree, but nowhere near as bad as serving white wine or champagne in hot glasses…

BIllyBleach
    Participant

Ever heard of bending those knees of yours instead of bending over?

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Yes, Jamie, and if you read my original post again you would see it says I have been squatting instead of bending… But it is inelegant, attracts odd looks, is rather uncomfortable for any length of time, and – this being my real point – should be unnecessary!

icenspice
    Participant

Oh Ian, I hope you never have to make an urgent call from a public phone in São Paulo !!

Viewing 14 posts - 121 through 134 (of 134 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls