Watching a full-on DYKWIA rant yesterday

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 94 total)

• rferguson
    Participant

TBH I think the entering codes or making comments in systems such as ‘pain in the neck’ is something of years gone by. Mainly because, down to the data protection act, customers can apply to see any information we have recorded on them. They could have recourse if derogatory comments were found to be made or codes used.

However, provided what is recorded sticks to fact, it’s fine. So saying someone has already been told an upgrade is not possible, or has been made aware of certain facilities being made available or not is all good and really helps us in our jobs 🙂

PhilipHart
    Participant

ROMEO SIERRA OSCAR LIMA.

LIMA MIKE ALPHA OSCAR 🙂

openfly
    Participant

@rferguson True. Many years ago a lady went passed the galley and saw the passenger list and spotted her name with HAG against her name.
    She was furious and threatened legal action, until the CSD explained that HAG is a code to warn all concerned that she was a late check-in and rushing to get to the flight with hand baggage only….in other words ….Have A Go!! Oooops

Charles-P
    Participant

I am aware from a contact at a major European airline of a regular customer who was classified by the crew as a “GAT” which it seems stood for “Groper and Toucher”.

Chiantikid
    Participant

There was a particular TV/singer ‘celeb who around 20 years ago took great delight in turning up to the aircraft late knowing that as he had bags in the hold it couldn’t take off without him. He did it once too often and a message was sent for his bags not to be loaded until the last moment when he was on board. As usual he turned up at the gate late only to see the aircraft pushing back. With a big smirk he told the gate staff that they’ll have to bring the plane back on stand as of course it couldn’t fly with his bags and not him for security reasons. She just quietly said ‘do you mean these bags here Mr xxxx’ pointing to his cases by the desk.
    He never did it again ‘apparentely’!

Charles-P
    Participant

As is usual with these instances the true “star” rarely acts in such a manner, it is the C-list wannabees who feel they need to.

I am reminded of the famous story concerning the funeral of David Niven, the biggest wreath, worthy of a Mafia Godfather’s funeral, was delivered from the porters at London’s Heathrow Airport, along with a card that read: ‘To the finest gentleman who ever walked through these halls. He made a porter feel like a king’

I read that in 1983 when I was a young officer and it has since been always in mind as a reminder of how to behave.

KarlMarx
    Participant

“There was a particular TV/singer ‘celeb who around 20 years ago took great delight in turning up to the aircraft late knowing that as he had bags in the hold it couldn’t take off without him. He did it once too often and a message was sent for his bags not to be loaded until the last moment when he was on board. As usual he turned up at the gate late only to see the aircraft pushing back. With a big smirk he told the gate staff that they’ll have to bring the plane back on stand as of course it couldn’t fly with his bags and not him for security reasons. She just quietly said ‘do you mean these bags here Mr xxxx’ pointing to his cases by the desk.

He never did it again ‘apparentely’!”

And there, in a single post, we see the eloquent contempt of an airline employee for a premium passenger’

handbag
    Participant

Have I missed something.

A passenger is regularly late for the flight and thinks it is OK to keep everyone waiting and even demand the flight be brought back onto the stand. Not only is he delaying flights, but costing a lot of extra money, through delays.

The staff sensibly decide to keep his bags back to ensure the flight will not be delayed and if he is there on time the bags can go on. Why is that contempt for the passenger? I personally do not think anyone should expect all the other passengers to wait for them, just because they think they are more important than everyone else. He would not have been aware of who else was on the flight and their status.

greyhawkgeoff
    Participant

handbag +1 absolutely, whether its 100 people on LHR -CDG short hop or the only flight of the day to somewhere 12 hours away.

I only had the opportunity to fly on Concorde twice, but well recall Air France off loading a bag 10 minutes after scheduled door closing when someone failed to make it onto the plane. There was a muted cheer and hand clap amongst my fellows that said it all.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

Charles-P:
    Absolutely correct re “real celebs” the pseudos are just that for the reason they haven’t realised how they should behave!

Travelcruiser
    Participant

Was on a BA flight back from SFO in CW upstairs last week. Was convinced the guy sitting across the aisle was someone well known but couldn’t place him. Then female captain comes out of cockpit and walks up to him and introduces herself and says how lovely it is to have him on board and would he like to ‘move downstairs’? He thanked her and declined saying he was travelling with friends. Never seen that happen before.

jamesay
    Participant

I heard what may be an apocryphal BA crew story about a Purser who in response to a DYKWIA Club Class passenger shouting for a G&T within10 mins of landing, clapped her hands to gain attention of the Club Cabin and asked everyone, “Excuse me, does anyone know who this gentleman is, he seems to have forgotten !” I would have loved to have witnessed that!

Chiantikid
    Participant

@karlMarx. I apologise if I’m wrong here but im assuming your comment was said in jest. I obviously can’t name the C list celeb, and he was certainly a C list, but he had held up the aircraft on a number of previous occasions. No contempt from the staff, just ensuring that all of the valued customers on that plane whoever they were wouldn’t be delayed. I personally think it was a good example of managing an evolving problem but that’s just my personal opinion

handbag
    Participant

Chiantikid – 27/11/2014 12:46 GMT

I am in total agreement.

canucklad
    Participant

In full agreement too……
    I’m sure KM’s comments were indeed made in jest. After all, how many of us have missed connections or at the very least arrived late at our destination, especially when departing from Northern European hubs restrained by slot management.
    And all because some up himself twit knows he has checked luggage in the hold, so would rather quaff another champers in the lounge than get his arse wedged or planked into an aircraft seat in a timely fashion like the rest of us.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 94 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls