Watching a full-on DYKWIA rant yesterday

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 94 total)

• Anonymous

Charles-P
    Participant

Departing Dubai yesterday I saw and enjoyed a full on, shouting “Do You Know Who I Am ?” from some ‘celebrity’ who was refused a free upgrade to Business. I recognised the individual as a Belgian TV presenter whose highest profile days are behind her (think Anthena Turner in UK terms).

I would usually have ignored all this and moved on however this was was simply too entertaining with the full flouncing display of bag’s being thrown to the ground, screaming, crying, dramatic faux fainting and the rest more often associated with a child who has been refused sweets.

Her mood was not improved by a group of Australians shouting, “You tell ’em ” while laughing at her and the dogged politeness of the Emirates staff who continued to refuse her demands while smiling and apologising.

Realising that her dramatics were not going to be successful she grabbed the boarding pass and walked off to the ironic cheers and applause of many.

thebigseats
    Participant

Perfect response from EK staff.

Why should a so-called celeb get any better treatment than you or I? I fly business & First because I actually book the the tickets/class I want to fly, simple, no?

LOL!

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Classic!

That sort of thing cheers me up no end when I witness it – always puts a smile on my face.

canucklad
    Participant

In this day and age of social media you’d think that people would learn.
    And it probably has been filmed by someone and appearing on a FB/twitter page near you soon.
    Plus it must be the ultimate insult…….being heckled on travel etiquette, by our antipodean cousins.

GrahamSmith

Brilliant! It’s always the Z-listers…

BAfanatic
    Participant

Great story, thanks for posting, it cheered me up no end (as I have witnessed less interesting but similar DYKWIA events).

I really like “simply too entertaining… full flouncing display of bag’s being thrown to the ground, screaming, crying, dramatic faux fainting and the rest… Her mood was not improved by a group of Australians shouting, “You tell ’em””. Also – one million points to the “dogged” Emirates staff standing their ground.

I’m also looking forward to the Youtube release, oh if only…

thebigseats
    Participant

CharlesP

Who was this muppet?

rferguson
    Participant

I bet you £5 she repeated the entire saga at both the gate and the aircraft door. These types always do although they tend to add ‘check in told me to take it up with you at the gate’ and finally, last chance saloon ‘the gate staff told me that you would be able to sort it out onboard’.

People forget that these days we have the technology to communicate easier. I had a similar situation a few months ago on a JFK flight. We had a reality TV non-celeb travelling who had been upgraded from Y – WTP as an invol. The lounge staff had entered a message in the iPad saying ‘pax in seat XXX (invol u/g) demanding an upgrade to CW on the basis of older style WTP seat with no PC power. Has already been told NO’. This of course despite the original seat he had purchased was WT with no PC power anyway. Before we even started boarding the CSD was on the ball and passed the message to us working in that cabin.

Said ‘celeb’ boards and it was like a performance. Reaches seat, then mock shock when he asks if the WTP seats have seat power and I say not unless he has the special connector. Goes on to huff and puff and then says ‘well does Business have pc power’ to which my reply was yes. And ‘is there any empty seats in business’ to which again my reply was ‘yes’. Next was not a request but an insistence that he be moved to Club on the basis of ‘spending a great deal of money on WTP specifically to have PC power’. I took great delight in going to get the iPad and saying ‘oh, Mr xxxx you were already upgraded from Economy?’. Followed by ‘oh, Mr xxxx I believe you already discussed the issue with my colleagues in the lounge?’. He took his seat and we didn’t hear a peep out of him for the remainder of the flight.

openfly
    Participant

A friend works on check-in at BA LGW. They have a code that can be added to the passenger info that can be passed to the gate, to the crew or to the destination….or all three.
    If they get a pain in the a.se, or a nuisance glamour puss or a dykwia …all demanding special treatment from the cheapest economy seat, they add the code Romeo (R) Sierra (S) Oscar (O) Lima (L) ! I leave you to work it out……

SimonS1
    Participant

Good stuff rferguson. I love those iPads and the look on the passenger’s face.

Happy days and classic entertainment.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Absolutely, but whoever it was can we please not identify them, or any one else in a thread like this, otherwise we’ll have to unpublish it, which would be a shame because it’s just as amusing without knowing who they are, and far less libelous.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

awww… so we are not allowed to clip the You Tube clip…….. when its published ?? 🙂

canucklad
    Participant

All this technology is a wonderful thing. Or is it…….This is the other side of the coin…..
    It just takes a person whose customer management skills are slightly less than the “Computer saaayyys NOOO. “ character deciding to take a dislike to you and for the rest of your journey, you’ll be branded with whatever Romeo (R) Sierra (S) Oscar (O) Lima (L) means tagged onto you.

Charles-P
    Participant

As of this morning there is no record of the event on You Tube and I don’t use social media so have no way of checking them. If by chance a recording does pop up on the web I will of course provide a link to it as an “example” of what I was talking about.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 94 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls