UK Immigration & Custom Delays

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 354 total)

• RichHI1
    Participant

If we ignore the political rhetoric (from both sides), the question I would ask is whether the UKBorder Force officers should be able to strike. It probably has to do with their contracts and the importance the govt attaches to their role. I would not expect the armed services or the security forces to strike. As they are part of the defence of the country should they be removed from the Home Office and placed under Dept of Defence?

AlanReynolds1
    Participant

Rich. I think you may be ascribing greater effect to what the Immigration Service achieves than is warranted by reality. If you had worked in Lunar House (as a member of my family did for a long time, and did my neighbours), I think you might hold a different view. Whether the guys and gals strike or not, frankly it is not going to change very much – or at all – who comes into or stays in this country. IMHO the border are more for show than for effect. Alan

RichHI1
    Participant

Sounds like it needs a root and branch reorg then. Very depressing.

VintageKrug
    Participant

An excellent response by UKBA management, and hats of to BAA who do seem to have planned effectively for this – I’m almost willing the snow to prove how much they’ve improved!

As predicted, a storm in a teacup.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Say it ain’t so:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/nov/30/heathrow-airport-unaffected-by-strike

What a farce on the part of the Unions.

“We were expecting people to be camping out here in the arrivals hall for eight to 10 hours waiting for passengers, but we have had people saying we should have a strike every day,” said Morgan.

CallMeIshmael
    Participant

With the flying public being able to reschedule, those that have flown are outnumbered by the helpers and agents in the terminal.

Tables full of free drinks, free crisps, stacks of chairs unused, miles of control ropes moved to one side.

It has been an absolute breeze for those using LHR. Well planned and managed.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Approx 90,000 people per day arrive into LHR. Estimates suggest 30% fewer arrived today.

That’s about 60,000 people arriving successfully today.

BA now allowing those passengers who re-booked tomorrow to fly today:

Last updated: 15:03, Wednesday 30 November 2011 (UK time)

UK Border Agency (UKBA) staff are involved in the public sector strike on Wednesday 30 November 2011.

If you were originally due to travel into Heathrow, Gatwick and London City airports on international flights today but had switched to another date, you can now change back to travel today subject to availability, if you wish to do so.

RichHI1
    Participant

Glad to see UKBA and BAA got something right for once. I now await the press a la NYC hurricane to say it was a big overreaction.
    Now they have got it right during strike, no excuse for regular service cock ups. Anyone know if e-pass was working or iris?

JonathanM8
    Participant

Came through LHR T5 this evening at around 18.00. First of all no holding, the flight from FRA came straight in, 20 minutes early, then no-one queuing at all at Immigration. Wish it was like this everyday. Well done BAA and UKBA

MarcusUK
    Participant

I flew into LHR T3 at 8.30am today, from Miami with Virgin Atlantic.

No queues at all for immigration, and several IRIS, and all 3 Electronic passport readers working. Good also to see an active police presence.

The combined efforts today, provided a quicker service than normal!
    Clearly we have the wrong people doing the wrong jobs here.
    With NO checks leaving the UK most of the time, there is little point in having Border controls, or any entry visa system, when we do not tally, or are unable to state when if at all, people have left!

RichHI1
    Participant

MarcusUk sounds good news. Was great last night too. Don’t understand the european obsession with checking people out. Surely key thing is to keep undesirables out. Not so bothered when desirables leave.

Binman62
    Participant

Numbers through LHR today down by at least 30% and AA cancelled a number ofvservicesvas did Ethan. THe airline contingency plans have worked well.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Rich

“Don’t understand the european obsession with checking people out. Surely key thing is to keep undesirables out. Not so bothered when desirables leave.”

Basically it gives you a coarse number of how many people are in your country (or zone, in the case of Schengen), also trends of immigration and emigration.

Because the UK only checks inwards, it is impossible to say accurately how many people are in the country.

Please note I’m not being political here, just stating the facts.

TominScotland
    Participant

There were passport checks outbound after Security at T4 last Friday – not too sure why but everyone was checked……..

Bucksnet
    Participant

According to official figures there are roughly 2 million illegals in the UK, and 75% of them are working. So unemployment is roughly 1.5 million higher than it would otherwise be, with higher taxes on us all to pay for it.

However, the official UK population is supposed to be around 63 million but the supermarkets claim they are selling enough food for 67-68 million, even after taking into account that we waste roughly one third of the food we buy.

Because the UK only checks inwards it is impossible to say accurately how many people are in the country, but it appears there could be around 5 million illegals in the UK today.

Bankers stooge Osbourne has just condemned us to 6 more years of pain instead of dealing with our real problems. Removing 4 million working age adults from the UK would save around £100 billion in benefits and other costs, and eliminate the deficit. However as our politicians are working for the banks, and they want everyone in debt, no real action on proper border controls will ever be taken.

Please note I’m not being political here, just stating the facts.

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 354 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls