This week’s Dreamliner incident

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 226 total)

• judynagy
    Participant

What a freaking nightmare.

millionsofmiles
    Participant

would certainly no fly with this experimental plane.

It is not properly tested and obviously has manufacturing problems in almost all areas.

A nightmare of a plane – for people who appreciate safety.

cbroo79
    Participant

And now Norwegian is grounding its dreamliners after just another fault at BKK. According to Norwegian the ontime 787 performance is now down to 49%. For what it is worth I am not afraid of an accident but could not take the chances of not getting out on time and being stranded for hours or days, thus I will avoid flying it until it works reliable. BTW there are 10 or so 787 sitting at teh CHS Boeing plant one or two being AI sitting there for the longest time. I wonder if these are permantly refitted and updated and thus delayed in delivery.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

To be honest Cbroo, I’d rather be stranded for days than suffer an accident! Like you though, I’ll wait till it’s fixed properly and been going about 2 years before I set foot inside the cabin.

MarcusUK
    Participant

I flew into Bangkok and saw this Norwegian 787 plane next to my KLM gate, about 10 days ago, though it was returning then without problems it appeared. It seemed quite small to me not so impressive, compared to my KLM 773-ER i arrived on.

Sad to say, even when the A380 had its teething problems, they were not so widespread amongst Airlines taking delivery, or multiple with so many different technical aspects appearing to have problems.

Like others, whether it be for safety or for reliability, I shall not be flying them for some time until a stable record is established.
    Having seen one, I am not so impressed either, inside or out, that they offer much different.
    if the Airlines continue to “Pack” people in them putting more seating in, then what is the difference to us?
    It is the Airline’s advantage for economy and business not ours, and i much prefer a well fitted 777, or A380, or a new A333, than something new as the 787.

I think the A350 will be something to look forwards too, but again it depends how Airlines present the cabins and configurations inside for the passenger, not just for their own economics.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Reports in the Norwegian media show just why Norwegian Air decided to ground one of its B787s as businesstraveller.com reported last Sunday.

In recent months no fewer than three out of four of its B787 long-haul flights were delayed with flights in and out of Oslo affected more than those using Stockholm.

In the month of September matters got even worse on the Oslo routes. Eight out of 12 New York flights were delayed by an average of 190 minutes. In the case of Bangkok, all 13 of 13 flights were delayed by an average of 56 minutes.

News item in Norwegian language:

http://www.vg.no/reise/artikkel.php?artid=10152232

cbroo79
    Participant

And now LOT has to do an unplanned landing due to the planes ID not working…. Too many bugs.. Too little quality assurance.

ImissConcorde
    Participant

JohnHarper
    Participant

I fly with Qatar regularly and planning still involves choosing flights that are not operated by the bad-dreamliner. I’ve been on it before all the troubles started, it was nothing special. I’ll maybe think of trying it again when it has been trouble free for two or three years.

travelworld
    Participant

No one yet has said whether the Dreamliner is suffering more than the usual technical issues when a new design of aircraft enters service. How does it compare with (say) the 777 or A330?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

An update on the situation at Norwegian Air …

The budget carrier’s second B787 (the one returned to Boeing for checks) is expected to return to service later next week.

At that time, Norwegian Air’s first B787 will be withdrawn from service for checks.

Meanwhile that A340-300 of Portugal’s Hi-Fly will provide continue to provide cover.

Norwegian media report:

http://e24.no/boers-og-finans/norwegian-tar-dreamliner-nummer-to-ut-av-trafikk/22575185

AMcWhirter
    Participant

An update on the situation at Norwegian Air …

The budget carrier’s second B787 (the one returned to Boeing for checks) is expected to return to service later next week.

At that time, Norwegian Air’s first B787 will be withdrawn from service for checks.

Meanwhile that A340-300 of Portugal’s Hi-Fly will provide continue to provide cover.

Norwegian media report:

http://e24.no/boers-og-finans/norwegian-tar-dreamliner-nummer-to-ut-av-trafikk/22575185

JordanD
    Participant

I forget if this was the thread, but someone asked what’s happened to the Ethopian Dreamliner at LHR? Well, those lovely folk at the Met Police have a photo taken from a recent LHR flyby:

http://twitter.com/MPSinthesky/status/389738340159086592

Seems a largescale fix is underway ….

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The Boeing sales team stay at the same hotel as me in BKK and from what they were saying, a fuselage repair would be extremely difficult.

However, where pride is concerned, I guess money may not be the main driver…..!

EasternPedlar
    Participant

Today’s Times of India reports that a large panel fell off an Air India 787 while it was flying between Delhi and Bangalore.

http://m.timesofindia.com/india/Panel-falls-off-Air-India-Dreamliner-midair-DGCA-to-probe-incident/articleshow/24204166.cms

Extremely scary!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 226 total)
This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.
The topic ‘This week’s Dreamliner incident’ is closed to new replies.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls