This week’s Dreamliner incident

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 226 total)

• GudFella
    Participant

Right, ready to do my review of the BA 787 Dreamliner to EWR..

Guess what, the aircarft was changed to a Boeing 767 because, as per the announcement, the Dreamliner suffered structural damage when a “passenger staircase” hit the carbon fibre body. Which brings me to think, what are its chances of making a “safe” hard landing (such as BA 038 at Heathrow).

Now, we were told the plane had been decomissioned for about 3-4 days. Yet no one on our flight received any notification or a call from BA to discuss our options. Now that is really bad customer service considering there were people that actually paid more to be on that particular aircraft.

Goldcardsaplenty
    Participant

I have just flown QR7 DOH – LHR and have to say I was impressed. I was a bit dubious when I saw 787 on my itinerary, not through real safety concerns, but more about the inconvenience of last minute tech issues.
    I found the seat comfortable and liked the 1- 2-1 layout. Most impressive though was the noise. I found it very quiet and a pleasant environment to be in. I was faintly amused by the windows changing opacity rather than blinds but wonder about their efficiency to blacken out the plane on a daylight flight when people want to sleep.
    Landing at LHR was just about as good as I’ve ever had but that was probably just a coincidence.
    I also thoroughly enjoy flying on the A380 but early engine/electrical/cracks in wings etc made me think twice about flying on that – people seem to forget that a lot of A380’s were grounded in the early days.
    Hopefully the teething problems (does anyone really believe it is more than this?) will be overcome and the Dreamliner will become a reliable, economical workhorse for many airlines.

CXDiamond
    Participant

QR do have excellent seating on their 787, it’s very similar to the CX longhaul C seating and of course now adapted by AA for their fleet.

As for the 787, I’m staying off it for now. In some places it’s being called the bad-dream-liner which I think is not inappropriate.

Str8Talking
    Participant

Let’s not forget good old US Airways on that score… they were the true “pioneers” in terms of introducing that seat – albeit a very basic version of it!

BigDog.
    Participant

Verne Harnish, is a million selling business book author whose blog is read by many thousands of business owners, especially entrepreneurs. This week it includes….

…Avoid the Dreamliner — I used to live by the rule “if it ain’t Boeing, I ain’t going” but their new 787 Dreamliner is a nightmare. It’s unreliable and unsafe, so avoid looking a flight on this aircraft if you can. Why the rant? Last Friday a software glitch grounded my flight from Shanghai to LA for five hours, eventually leading to the flight being cancelled. This caused me to miss my first paid keynote in 31 years!! A brand new plane grounded by software glitches – inexcusable and dangerous.

… not good to develop this type of reputation with the business community.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

All 10 of Air India’s B787s are due to receive a software overhaul to improve reliability.

http://newindianexpress.com/business/news/Air-India-not-to-ground-Dreamliners-awaiting-software-overhaul/2013/11/13/article1887347.ece

BigDog.
    Participant

A further cause for concern as fifteen airlines have been warned about the risk of ice forming on Boeing’s new 747-8 and 787 Dreamliner planes – specifically ones with GE Engines

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25068222

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2512390/Boeing-787-Dreamliner-nightmare-airlines-warned-ice-forming-plane-engines.html

It says aircraft with the affected engines – GE’s GEnx – must not be flown within 50 nautical miles of thunderstorms that may contain ice crystals.

Though on the upside for Boeing, it has received orders for more than 1,000 jets since its launch whilst last month it announced plans to raise production of the 787 Dreamliner to 12 per month by 2016.

MarcusUK
    Participant

Just read the same in the Dutch Press.

Hardly fills me with any confidence of the 787. These incidents are far more broad, and varying, but something somewhere always, compared to when the A380 was launched.

With some Airlines now considering to put extra seats in, this is about profit and Cramming us in, for less costs to run, with numerous dubious safety concerns still prevalent. This is not about improving our flying experience or added comfort.

So, I will not be flying the 787 out of choice.

Taking off from LHR a few hours ago, the “Ethiopian dreamliner 787”, is a just advertisement, still dumped at the side of the runway for all to see, debris around it!

Edski777
    Participant

What has gone wrong with this plane? Years too late in delivery and still riddled with problems that pop up like fireworks on the 4th of July.
    How much longer are airlines and passengers going to tolerate this?
    I would like to see a professional risk assesment on the long list of issues.
    I, for one, won’t fly a 787 until it gets a clean bill of health for at least 6 months. Flying a Dreamliner? Yeah, in your dreams.

millionsofmiles
    Participant

I will not set a foot in that flying coffin.

Eastbourneguy
    Participant

BA seem to have had some problems with theirs

British Airways B787-8 G-ZBJC Toronto Technical Issue.
    November 16, 2013
    British Airways Boeing 787-8 G-ZBJC operating BA99 London Heathrow – Toronto suffered a total loss of the centre hydraulic system en route but continued to Toronto for a safe landing. The return BA98 has been delayed overnight.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I too won’t set foot on it till it’s had a good year of trouble free flying. In fairness though at least no 787 has crashed yet though whether by luck or skill I don’t know?

CXDiamond
    Participant

It’s definitely a plane to stay away from. I’m in agreement with others, a year of trouble free operation and I’ll think about it.

WillieWelsh
    Participant

Reading that Finnair may lease one from LOT, I can’t help but wonder why on earth they would unless LOT are offering a real knock down rate. As the capacity shortage is more to do with AY refurbishing, surely they have their own crews available and what they really need is extra A330 capacity which admittedly is not easy to get.

Cloud-9
    Participant

The thing that puzzles me is that airlines are still ordering the wretched things.
    Why? Surely not just to maximise passengers and reduce fuel outlay? And with no regard to to the safety of paying pax or their own crews?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 226 total)
This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.
The topic ‘This week’s Dreamliner incident’ is closed to new replies.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls