This week’s Dreamliner incident

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 226 total)

• LetsFlyNow
    Participant

Next: Qatar Airways (Air India is having a break) from BRU to Doha on May 22nd. Diverted to Budapest, replacement A320 sent to pick pax.

And it only had 97pax on board. Low loads.

http://avherald.com/h?article=474cdf6b&opt=0

trident3
    Participant

Travellator:-
    “Ethiopean is still on the ground at LHR – what prognosis ?”

Still on the ground? ET-AOP rose, Phoenix-like, in late Dec 2013
    and is back in service (or am I missing something?)

Edski777
    Participant

ET-AOP is operational. According to the site Flightaware.com it made a return trip from Addis (ADD) to Shanghai (PVG).

http://nl.flightaware.com/live/flight/ETAOP

The aircraft has been operational since late December 2013. It was returned to service without much ado. After all, it has been quite an embarresment for Boeing and the 787 program.

Despite the return to service and the growing number of 787s in operation I still am quite apprehensive to board one. Too many irregularities keep appearing on this site and other media.

cbroo79
    Participant

Could not agree more. Whilst I do not believe one will fall out of the sky, service reliability is still a major issue,despite the stats that Boeing produces.

BigDog.
    Participant

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Astonishingly, the FAA has cited the B787s “reliability history” and “effectiveness at addressing relevant issues during 250,000 hours of service” in giving it ETOPS certification. Do they not read the same news reports as me? The NTSB apparently do, stating that they still have concerns about the ‘plane’s lithium-ion batteries.

The cynic in me wonders if an Airbus would have received the same beneficent approach from the FAA!

Edski777
    Participant

The realist in me says: no way would Airbus get the same treatment. I wonder if Airbus would even get FAA approval to land in the US.

Trade protectionism is nothing new for the US.

openfly
    Participant

Just flown 6 Dreamliner sectors in J with Qatar. Quite stunning in all areas.
    Their 1-2-1 seating in J must be the best anywhere and the bed is amazingly long. Somewhat better than the 8-across seating with a well-known British carrier!

canucklad
    Participant

Evening Ian….I’m surprised you’re surprised at the FAA acting more like a lobbying group than its supposed role as a regulator. As a country that proclaims itself the leader of the free world the Americans ironically or some might say hypocritically have a history of both overt and covert practices that put foreign companies at a disadvantage.

And it’s not just trade. Look at the BP incident and you’ll see some shocking xenophobic behaviour whilst protecting or indeed covering up the involvement of US corporations.

So, you’re totally correct ,any issues that arise with the A350 and you’ll see the full ,excuse the pun , FAArce of intervention citing safety etc.

I know there where other factors but Concorde failed IMO because of American jealousy.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Well, indeed, canucklad, and your mention of the US reaction to the Deepwater Horizon spill does bear contrast with an earlier disaster involving a US company. Consider these statistics:

Deepwater Horizon – caused primarily by a non-US company:
    Number of deaths (so far as I can work out): 11. Couldn’t find a figure for injuries, but implications that it was less than 200
    Fines: US$4.5 billion
    Moneys set aside by BP for other claims and compensation: US$42.2 billion

Bhopal disaster- caused by a US conglomerate (Union Carbide):
    Number of deaths: Estimated at 16,000 (and more than half a million people injured, almost 4,000 severely and permanently)
    Fines: US$4,250 (yes, less than five thousand bucks)
    Moneys provided by Union Carbide for other claims and compensation: US$470 milllion

But of course, in the latter case, the people affected weren’t Americans…

flyingcanadian
    Participant

Hi Openfly.

Just read your blog on the 787 Dreamliner. BA are using it on some ARN FLIGHTS this summer. Only £150 in J Class. is it worth changing my flight to fly BA’s 787 to ARN please??
    I have flown AC’s, and it is a DREAM!! Pardon the Pun!

openfly
    Participant

Hi Flyingcanadian.

I get the impression it is not worth the effort to try to fly the BA Dreamliner. It seems their aircraft is rather utilitarian in comparison to the Qatar offering.

flyingcanadian
    Participant

Hi Openfly,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I am actually a *A GOLD ELITE, and was flying SAS. However, when I saw the 787 on a ARN flt, I thought I might change.
    I am a widowed Pensioner with a 12yrs old son, and thought he might enjoy the experience. However, after your comments, I shall stay loyal to *A.
    Thanks.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

canucklad – 04/06/2014 09:04 GMT
    FAArce! Love it. 😉

Perhaps this will change your mind flyingcanadian:

http://seatplans.businesstraveller.com/airlines/british-airways/user-reviews#comment_id_8280

….and it’s not often that I praise BA!

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 226 total)
This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.
The topic ‘This week’s Dreamliner incident’ is closed to new replies.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls