This week’s Dreamliner incident

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 226 total)

• canucklad
    Participant

The Air India story makes me laugh.

I’m not surprised at this development, and I wouldn’t be surprised if the AI board are secretly pleased at some of the developments concerning the 787.

In my experience, the Indians love to negotiate, and if an opportunity arises to negotiate the price down, it will be an opportunity not to be missed. Oh and when I use the word “negotiate” I really mean “haggle”.

I pity the poor people from Seattle, who I predict are going to be summoned to Delhi and on arrival in the lion’s den, are going to get a real lesson in bartering!

millionsofmiles
    Participant

canuckload:

Whereas you re right about the negotiation talent of indian people….Air India is right in this case.

Boeing has delivered an unfinished, dangerous and badly produced product. The 787 cannot be operated properly without an excess of necessary additonal control, maintenance and operation cost.
    Thus a claim for damages is absolutely justified. Even a return of the faulty, almost inoperable planes would be justified.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

The Air India B787’s are powered by GEnx-1B64 engines. I believe that there have been previous instances of General Electric making spurious claims about the efficiency of their engines – was it not the case that BA once made a substantial claim against GE for the failure their products to deliver the fuel consumption levels they were claimed as delivering?

GudFella
    Participant

@canucklad – this is rather insulting to Indian people and I am not even one of them.

Would you say the same about the Japanese, Norwegians or Qataris who have all “haggled” for compensation from Boeing relating to their Dreamliner issues?

canucklad
    Participant

millionsofmiles……you’re right of course, which is why I pity the poor people from Seattle.

I fear it will go something like this……
    A lovely warm gracious Indian welcome, followed by a hearty, tasty spicy curry, and then importantly followed by lashings and lashing of Scotland’s finest!

Then, the opening Gambit, the following morning…..”Why did you sell us this load of crap? “Followed by reams and reams of evidence hyperbolised to make the Boeing boys squirm.

They won’t know if that funny feeling in their belly is last night’s curry , the whisky, or both, or embarresment at the evidencet ?

However, they will want to seek sanctuary ! lol

millionsofmiles
    Participant

@canuload: lol..right on the spot!

@ GudFella: Insult?

Absolutely not insulting to Indian people. Indian people have been in trade, shipping and export/import while the eurpeans were still living on trees.
    Every nation has some specialty: Trade, culture, engeneering..whatever. To mention that is rather a compliment, certainly not an insult.

canucklad
    Participant

Definitely not meant as an insult Gudfella. Just an observation based on experience.
    Every culture has their own foibles, and I recognize and respect each culture accordingly.
    When I travel, I adapt to local custom, and importantly, without stereotyping too much prepare myself accordingly.
    Anyway, apologies if you took offense.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Yesterday (Saturday) another Air India B787 suffered technical problems. It was a flight scheduled to operate from Delhi to Frankfurt. The service was cancelled until another aircraft could be found.

timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Air-Indias-Delhi-Frankfurt-flightAir-India/articleshow/30498980.cms?intent

Edski777
    Participant

And Norwegian announced this week that they will lease an additional 4 B787 aircraft through ILFC.

This is really weird as Norwegian is experiencing quite a number of problems with their current B787s.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Yet another Air India B787 transponder issue. I believe it’s the third time this has happened, following previous incidents over Berlin and on another flight bound for Paris/

The latest incident happened yesterday when a DEL-FRA flight had to turnaround over Afghanistan and return to DEL.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/Air-India-Dreamliner-takes-off-for-Frankfurt-returns-to-Delhi-after-7-hours/articleshow/30965157.cms

nmh1204
    Participant

With all these problems with the 787, Boeing should be forced to recall all 787s to be honest. If it was any other manufaturer, they’d be grounded.

HarryMonk
    Participant

I’m sure the calls for a grounding of the 787 would be much louder if its future competitor was not so close to entering the marketplace. A grounding of the 787, although justified in many peoples opinion until the root causes of the problems have been identified and resolved with more than just ‘hot’ fixes if you excuse the pun, will only lead to a tit-for-tat battle between the FAA / Boeing on one side and the EU regulatory authorities and Airbus on the other should there be the slightest glitch with the A350

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Interesting piece on businessweek.com

Apparently Boeing has 11 B787s stored in the Seattle area which are worth $1.1 million.

Apparently Boeing can’t find a buyer as these particular B787s were some of the original models which are heavier and can’t fly as far.

They’re known as the “terrible teens” because they are part of a batch which needed modifications carried out.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2014-02-24/boeing-said-to-struggle-with-sales-of-1-dot-1-billion-of-early-787s

CXDiamond
    Participant

Rumour has it that a number of these 787s will go to African carriers. They don’t need the full range for any of their destinations and at a knock down price they make a sensible replacement for current fleets.

Meanwhile the A350s seem to be very much in demand, let’s just hope for a smooth launch.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Another Air India B787 in trouble and this time closer to home.

Yesterday’s B787 Delhi-Birmingham flight never took off. Passengers not due back into Birmingham until today.

Apparently, according to The Times of India, the B787 involved is the same aircraft which was grounded in Tokyo last week.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Dreamliner-grounded-second-time-in-a-week/articleshow/31243372.cms?intent

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 226 total)
This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.
The topic ‘This week’s Dreamliner incident’ is closed to new replies.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls