The future of the Business Traveller forum

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 127 total)

• Bruce98
    Participant

Infrequent

I find your post insightful and positive. It amuses me that Vintage Krug posts his list of complaints, when he does exactly the same to others. (I acknowledge that he is also attacked.) As Ian says, it is easy to react (I acknowledge that I have done, as well, although I am now largely ignoring certain things), so perhaps an ignore button would be a useful addition.

canucklad
    Participant

Welcome 1nfrequent….. Nice to get a new perspective on things. M$lkjhv

To me the most important point you made was about backing out because of the sniping…… If there are other people who behave as you, it means that we are missing potential gems of information etc.

Its also important to remember that an interpretation of a comment has a lot to do with the emotional state of the reciepient of the message ! What could be sent as a light hearted comment suddenly becomes an insult!

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

What would be useful is an easier to navigate forum. I was thinking earlier this week of starting up a new thread to debate the issue of whether or not the “new kids on the block” (the Gulf-based carriers) were, as AF and LH state, really receiving subsidies (hidden and explicit) after having come across an Emirates PDF format presentation rebutting the charge. But, using the search function, to try and find any previous and related threads was agonisingly slow (and unproductive). I didn’t get around to opening the new thread (for which some of you will probably now be saying “thank god for that…!”)

What I like about the BT forum is that (unsurprisingly!) there are clearly a lot of very well informed travellers who share a lot of extremely useful and revealing insights. Generally, comments are of pretty high quality albeit that some tend towards the wholly self-indulgent – but that charge could also be levelled at me, no doubt. No idea whether any of our political masters or transport decision makers get to read or sample a flavour of BT Forum postings but some could possibly learn a lot.

Like 1nfrequent, I too get distinctly hacked off with some of the wholly unnecessary bitchiness and downright nastiness on occasions. Personally, I prefer to play the ball rather than the man but this personal edict becomes hard to follow on occasions.

Bruce98
    Participant

Two more suggestions.

Differentiate between leisure and business reviews on Seatplans and post only the latter here, since it is unlikely many people on BT are really interested in Thomson Airways and these reports (although interesting for others on other fora) just block the review page.

Put in some kind of de-duping app on Seatplans, so we don;t get the same report 6 times, which bumps off other reports.

BigDog.
    Participant

BT – In any future release could you also show how posts have been changed or deleted.

Should posters be allowed to post then later delete and repost ostensibly the same item in order to bump it ? A recent /example

VintageKrug – 22/10/2012 20:39 GMT
    I am so very pleased I don’t live in binman’s world, where every glass is half empty.
    It must be awful to get so little pleasure out of life

disappeared then reappeared bumping the thread the following day as

VintageKrug – 23/10/2012 07:40 GMT
    I am so very pleased I don’t live in binman’s world, where every glass is half empty.

It must be awful to get so little pleasure out of life.

I like the advert, and I think the refreshing, crisp graphics work well.

Certainly a contract to the brash advertising seen from other carriers.

This happens fairly regularly

Similarly, AnthonyDunn responded to a VK comment, within minutes VK appeared to have cut out the body of his initial comment, rendering Anthony’s post as a little confusing. VK then reposted the body after Anthony’s post.

Other misuse which needs to be prevented is posting innocuous comments which can then be deleted to move certain posts to the top of the page. I have noticed several times, that by luck my post is at the top of a page only to find it moved back to the bottom of the previous page and a post by VK at the top of the new page.

Finally – thread bombing, repeated cutting and pasting of the same or similar items on the same thread and across the forum should be prevented – example in the following post.

Basically these behaviours are an abuse of the forum and should be tracked if not prevented altogether.
    Thanks

VintageKrug
    Participant

There is one common denominator here, and that is the evidence below of continual post-stalking, derogatory remarks and general goading which has occured more times than I care to count.

It makes the forum poorer, and reduces the flow of useful debate. Rather like navel-gazing thread such as this one.

I largely ignore the posts, as calling them out simply panders to them, but they’re worth selecting here so others can see what I’m talking about:

In the past two weeks alone, we have the examples below:

BigDog. Wrote 21/09/12 wrote:

Maybe as a researcher, who lacks grammatical rigor, he would be difficult to employ, so has to loiter somewhere.

BigDog. – 21/09/2012 15:57 GMT wrote:

RF – Sometime you will wise up. The guy spends all his time posting here and on other sites. That is his identity, out of over 6,000 postings here alone only 1 trip report. Despite the Sim city and googling some facts there is no actual pax experience. He is a useful online researcher though, bless him.

BigDog. 20/09/12 wrote | Forum post (in reply to VintageKrug):

As the vast majority of your assertions/predictions prove to be totally wrong

BigDog. 18/09/12 | wrote:

If it isn’t on your Sim City, learn to use google.

BigDog. – 12/09/2012 13:49 GMT wrote:

..and whilst the vast majority of us enjoyed the Olympics and Paralympics VK was busily participating here….

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSqkdcT25ss

… so now we know he’s called Nigel – who would have thought.

BigDog. joined on 1 June.

Others with a similar posting style and with a particular focus on me departed these shores on 23 May.

Of course, there is no way to demonstrate a connection between these events. I will leave you to draw your own conclusions.

It is also noticeable that things had become, generally, much more civilised in the past few months. I would draw to the attention of BTers that Henkel.Trocken did not post between 17 May and 21 September, almost exactly aligning with the lull.

HongKongLady
    Participant

I haven’t read all the post, however I just want to say that if the forum is changed I hope it keeps it’s diversity. It is a much better platform because of the different types of posts and opinions we get. Life is ever richer for embracing differences.

Papillion53
    Participant

I had to laugh at some of BigDog. ‘s comments about showing when and how posts have been edited etc., and I do agree with him, but it’s a shame he doesn’t follow his own example!

On another thread he had a good old pop at “another poster”‘ in response to something I had written and apparently I “misconstrued” his comments and he then proceeded to tell me not to be silly – he deleted this post but I had already seen it along with no doubt countless others!

So BigDog. it doesn’t really matter that you went back in over the weekend on several occasions and edited, and re-edited your posts, we knew! As VK stated sometimes it’s best just to ignore, as I did when you so far forgot yourself to call me silly and made “smart” remarks which I can only imagine you thought were amusing when you wrote them!

Sadly for you, you do not have anywhere near the talent of Lord Fellowes!

I enjoy my daily fix of the BT forum and have gleaned so much useful information from it, and even saved money, which for a born and bred Scot is really important! LOL!

Papillion53
    Participant

HongKongLady – nice to hear from you, haven’t seen you for a while! 🙂

BigDog.
    Participant

Papillion, I would love BT to restore all the changes and edits to demonstrate your jibe then edited along with my response and edits and also how my posts moved back leaving your accusation at the top losing context, so I then had to follow a similar tactic. But I guess I am a different breed in wanting to maintain integrity.

Editing, deleting and moving posts should be tracked.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

I always make a habbit of making a comment at the bottom of my posts if i have changed them.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

There are posts on the thread that keep appearing and then being deleted.

Another thread that needs some humour 🙂

canucklad
    Participant

I’m sort of guilty of editing threads especially if im using my Blackberry….sometimes i will write something that makes no sense at all….until i go back and edit it it it will make as much sense as a clever fool trying to convince a room fool of mathmatecians that PIE really isnt relevant to mainstream life…unless you’re talking about
    Pi with cream !

BigDog.
    Participant

Canucklad – we all edit to correct spelling, grammar and syntax, it is mainly the thread manipulation which is a problem.

Papillion53
    Participant

BigDog – he only thing I removed was my initial reaction to your post in which you quoted Noel Coward and which, as you have now pointed out, was not aimed at me. This post was the only thing I deleted or edited on that thread, and to suggest now that I did otherwise to get my post “at the top” is nonsense. I really could care less where my posts are as I’m sure most readers read all posts anyway?

You don’t live in Hawaii by any chance do you?

Look I really don’t want to have an online falling out as that’s not helpful to either of us, so let’s just leave it and I will go now and delete my now irrelevant post on that other thread. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 127 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls