The future of the Business Traveller forum

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 127 total)

• JohnPhelanAustralia
    Participant

The irony/hypocrisy in some posters’ comments is almost hilarious – they accuse others of bullying and personal attacks, whilst being guilty of the same offences, and generally at a much higher level!

Look at the attack on Martyn – he gets labelled as being without integrity simply because he agrees with a poster that one of the bullies doesn’t like!

It should be possible to disagree with what someone says without launching a personal attack on that person’s integrity. Sadly, this seems to be beyond a few here …….

MartynSinclair
    Participant

My comment this morning was based on Henkel.Trocken’s post dated 17 May 2012, where he stated

“BT: you are very welcome to delete my account. After the behaviour of others on Tuesday, I will participate no longer.”

After 17 May, several posters have commented that the Forum has become a far nicer place, with good quality discussion, banter and humour. This is fact and can be supported by posts, which I cant be bothered to quote or research right now.

All of a sudden the Henkel.Trocken handle has reappeared, the snide remarks re start and a statement is made infering I am VintageKrug’s “little helper”.

All I have asked is for Henkel.Trocken to support this statement, which quite clearly he cant.

Next……………………..

Lets hope that coming out of the double dip recession, that the Governement will finally look at the airport taxes and other ticket add on costs and start considering the travellers, who now appear to be the tax whipping people, a position that was once held by the motorists.

Please also support the poppy appeal – a very worthwhile cause and extremely important to remember the real fights of this century and the thousands of people who lost their lives to enable us to be alive and free in 2012.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Henkel.Trocken – 25/10/2012 09:35 GMT : Interesting, I’d never really had MartynSinclair on the list of VintageKrug’s little helpers; obviously I was wrong in thinking that he was a man of integrity.

Ugh. HT, I make no personal judgments on you, but I find this post offensive and unwelcome

dutchyankee – 25/10/2012 09:44 GMT : HT I would never consider Martyn one of VK’s little helpers, rather a consummate realistic poster on this forum who always tries to remain on topic, and as far as I have witnessed, is always fair. Of course VK gets under some peoples skin, as he has to me …. That said, personal attacks should never be allowed.

I wholeheartedly agree with all of this. Martyn is probably top of the list of regular posters I would like to meet (there are a few others, and despite the fact that he has indeed got himself under my skin on several occasions, VK is also one of them).

On the poppy appeal – yes, please, everyone (British or not) please participate if you can. My father (who was in the Dunkirk landings, incidentally) only ever supported two charities in his life, and in fact was quite vehemently opposed to several of them (notably the Salvation Army). Those two are the RNLI (which, for those who don’t know, provides and supports lifeboat services around the coast of the UK, lifeboats that are wholly manned by unpaid volunteers who regularly give up huge amounts of their time, and risk their own lives, to save others), and the poppy appeal. I will be going round to the Hong Kong Club at lunchtime in the hope that they now have them (they didn’t as of yesterday) and buy some for all my family.

VintageKrug
    Participant

These are the most dull threads on the forum.

I don’t see anywhere on the forum that “extensive discussion of posters over multiple threads is a core part of what the BT forum is for.”

These threads do, however, seem to attract the most posts. Indeed I only rejoined the forum back in January when, after over 100 posts a similar thread (also ludicrously featured in the Thursday email to subscribers) the usual Henkel.Trocken/CallMeIshmael/TetedeCuvee cabal started bullying BeckyBoop, suggested she was me under another handle.

I stepped in to stop the attacks on her, which were unacceptable.

Seems you can’t live with me, can’t live without me. Maybe there’s a song there, somewhere.

It would be better if such meta-discussions were deleted and prohibited from the forum altogether, which I understood was the intention from the start.

The navel-gazing is extraordinary. There is much more to the world than this site, which a forum for entertainment. That’s it. If you want to continue your vendetta against me for providing a useful counterpoint to the lies spouted by BASSA during the BA strike, then potter off to http://www.cabincrew.com where the inanity is tolerated, or your own forum where you can merrily chatter away – fully observed – until the next court case.

I can see no way whatsoever that providing this platform for the bullies is in any way connected with the remit of the forum, which is stated as:

“Business Traveller welcomes your comments on any travel-related subject.”

Henkel.Trocken’s very handle is a German champagne-esque wine, which I find hard to believe isn’t meant to represent a counterpoint to my own champagne themed handle – and that is echoed in his curious obsession with my good self.

Is this a “travel-related subject”? If it is I must have missed something.

What must those new to the site think?

canucklad
    Participant

Why don’t we all agree to meet up in a park somewhere and have a jolly good old game of Tig……………That will sort it out

Then afterwards we can head for a happy meal and ice-cream

Pappilon is so right,………..

PatJordan
    Participant

A game of Tig………canucklad, that brings me back to my schooldays!

Mind you there was no McDonalds when I was a lad, we had to settle for good old fish and chips…….wrapped in paper, loads of salt & vinegar….hard to beat!

I would like to add my voice to those supporting Martyn. He’s one of life’s good guys.

canucklad
    Participant

Pat…..A totally very non interesting fact about me and Ronald’s lot.

Every Friday as a treat my sister and I were taken to the very first Golden Arches outside the US……in Richmond BC… for our dinner

Can’t even remember the number of customers served, but it it used to be a rollong number below the arches…..it now just states Billions and Billions !!!

Stiff upper lip Martyn

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Pat, Fish and Chips, yum. Didn’t Wimpy also exist then. I remember we’d be 4 of us out of school at the table sharing a coffee. Saturday after we had our pocket money we’d buy a Wimpy and Chips.

Not that this has anything to do with the Future of the BT Forum but I guess we posters are the future in a way so perhaps the post counts?

Papillion53
    Participant

Mr LP – I well remember Wimpy! What a bunch of oldies! 😉 LOL!

MartynSinclair – I have always appreciated your thoughts and advice on this forum. 🙂

MartynSinclair
    Participant

“It has become clear that recent use of the forum has outgrown both our current software, and just as importantly our resources in terms of managing and moderating it.

We are therefore looking at options, including migrating to a dedicated forum system, which would allow us to introduce moderators and far greater flexibility with thread management, direct messaging, etc, all of which have been discussed in various threads on this site recently.”

Business Traveller (TOM) – this is the thread your team started in February 2012, over 1 year ago. The Forum can not keep on losing seasoned contributors – do you have any intention of taking the subject through to a completed discussion and a live project or is it a case of its been shelved indefinately!!

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Hi Martyn,

No need to revive this old thread – I know what I said. And also what I said on the current thread, which is that we are going to revamp the forum AND the whole web site and are doing so now.

Many thanks, Tom

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Thanks for the moderation Tom.

Looking forward to the launch…

Swissdiver
    Participant

Tom,
    We look forward to see the result. Is there any date scheduled or not yet?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Hi Graham, sorry to resurrect this, but apart from starting a new thread this was the only thread I could find to post a suggestion.

When following several threads it’s a nuisance to either press the back button several times or have to reload “forum” then choose the next thread.

Would it be possible to add a “next / previous thread” button to make if quicker and easier to comment on several threads?

On another matter, mrs. LP would like to post in her own right. Despite several attempts she never got the validation email so she emailed as instructed this morning but has had no reply! Did her email perhaps go to junk?

GrahamSmith

Hello.

The ‘next/previous thread’ buttons is a good idea and I will raise it with our web developers. This won’t happen overnight, of course, but could be added to the next build.

Some verification emails aren’t arriving, presumably because they fail to pass some email providers’ junk settings. If your wife could email me her email address, I can manually verify her account immediately.

Thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 127 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls