The future of the Business Traveller forum

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 127 total)

• Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

I wouldn’t hurry, most of the people who were posting regularly six months ago have long gone, fed up with poor forum management and Vintage Krug’s little games.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

“I wouldn’t hurry, most of the people who were posting regularly six months ago have long gone, fed up with poor forum management and Vintage Krug’s little games.”

…a database of the regulars has been created, all of whom have confirmed they will continue to contribute, once NF or an alternative has been created.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’m writing this on wood, so possibly famous last words, but the forum has become a lot more pleasant these past months. Lots of new contributors and very little insulting, back stabbing etc. Some interesting new topics have been discussed in a constructive manner, so for me it’s fine as is.

The only thing I’d change is having maybe 15 or 20 topics showing rather than just the 10 now.

VintageKrug
    Participant

It’s been good to see new contributors, though sad to say from my perspective the back-stabbing continues almost daily from the usual suspects in whatever guise they choose to take.

In my view it is these people who made the forum poorer, but ignoring them is the way forward and that is what I shall continue to do.

The actions taken by BT to remove the malefactors by stopping them posting, even though it only worked temporarily, did at least improve things for a while.

Interesting that at least one of them laid off recently when he finally realised I don’t work for BA; a clear example of bullying tactics by a disgruntled Union member, which I believe to be behind most of the unpleasantness.

I did mention the need to increase the number of posts displayed as the forum becomes more popular back when feedback was first sought in 2010; I think this an excellent suggestion by LuganoPirate.

Henryp1
    Participant

I too agree with LP that the forum is now “a lot more pleasant”, but as always its easy to ignore those who post unpleasantly. But accept that it must be difficult at times for some posters due to attacks.

Henry

transtraxman
    Participant

I had published these comments before on another thread but here is more appropriate.

“Is it not possible to put all the topics dealing with the same subject into a folder, or grouped in some other way, so that they can be found more easily?”

“Could it not be made possible for the author of a thread to change the title, subject to confirmation by BT? That way errors can be rectified.”

Bruce98
    Participant

====The actions taken by BT to remove the malefactors by stopping them posting, even though it only worked temporarily, did at least improve things for a while.===

So who did BT stop from posting?

Deleted_User
    Participant

Just a minor detail, but I would like to see the ‘Recently updated’ and ‘Recent flight reviews’ columns switch position on the screen.

canucklad
    Participant

I agree transtaxman regarding your folder suggestim. Mind you, we probably just need one labelled LHR. šŸ˜‰

transtraxman
    Participant

I was thinking along the lines of something like…..

1-Airport Security
    2-New Routes
    3-Bad experiences
    4-Foreign Airports
    5-London airportsĀ“capacity
    6-Nostalgia
    7-Fun
    and so on

That is what I gleaned from looking at the first two pages(only) about the topics on airports. On airports there are 16 pages(going back to January 2008) so it is difficult to follow some themes, which subsequently get repeated.

Maybe a time limit would be introduced so that any post older than, say, two years is sent to the basement archive.

Remember not all the posts are gripes but some do provide valuable information – especially for newcomers, or even others who do not travel regularly to different parts of the world. However, the information does or can become outdated.

Just some thoughts.

BigDog.
    Participant

Consider having a Thumbs Up / Thumbs Down flag so any reader can express an opinion (approval or disapproval) on the post.

A net total is kept. Those with a high net number of thumbs up as they are helpful, insightful, can be readily identified by other readers.

Posts who receive a high number of thumbs down can be alerted to the moderators quickly and have the post deleted. A poster who repeatedly makes posts which are viewed negatively by a good majority of forum members maybe even suspended if a repeatedly antagonistic, delinquent.

This can also aid the integrity of the forum. As posts which make false claims or baseless assertions can be questioned and marked down, some for deletion.

NTarrant
    Participant

The idea of a thumbs up or down is alright, but it is a little like the “like” button on Facebook. There will be posts that won’t attract a thumbs up or “like”. I think we are supposed to be mature enough to say we don’t like something and if it is inappropriate then BT can take it down.

There is the possibility that a thumbs down can be abused by certain people to thumbs down every post a poster they don’t like makes. What is seen as inappropriate by one poster may not be to another.

I have to agree with LP that the forum has become less confrontational over the last few months, with some good debates on a range of topics. Snide remarks about other posters becomes boring and not very helpful.

canucklad
    Participant

NTarrant, I agree with you about the thumbs up/down idea….it would potentially gauge consensus of opinion, if used in a constructive manner.

I’m not wanting to sound cheeky fellow BT’ers, but some of the comments made by some contributorsā€™ , that some or most other posters may deem “thumbs down” actually add to my enjoyment to some of the debates.

This includes at times, waiting in anticipation for the riposte that can actually enhance the thread’s depth…….What some of us might consider irrelevant, ludicrous or digressive might not be to others.

Some of our longest and rewarding conversations are when we’ve gone of message; and I know Iā€™m guilty of digression at times.

I will add that although I enjoy the ā€œbanterā€ between some posters I absolutely agree with BigDog that examples of personal attacks should not be toleratedā€¦..by all means question the reasoning of argument, but donā€™t question the persons right to have that reasoning.

It’s very apparent that we are a diverse bunch, that same diversity enriches the forum.

I have noticed that after one poster recently made derogatory remarks about one of us , her contributions have dried up, and as a forum we are no longer as rich in thought as we once where!!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I quite like the idea of a thumbs up/down but as Nigel says it’s open to abuse. As Canucklad says the banter can be enjoyable and as long as there are no personal attacks it’s quite fun.

I think most of us go off thread now and again but that’s like a good conversation, you start discussing Einstein’s theory of relatively and that leads quickly to discussing the merits of a particular beer!!!

What I also like is when one of us is personally attacked, even if we don’t always agree with him/her, other forum members quickly offer support and condemnation of the attacker.

At then end of the day, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” and personally, overall I’m happy with the way the forum is at the moment.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The reason I returned to this subjct was to see whether anything has changed with BT’s plans to review / modify / update and secure the Forum.

The appearance of a couple of postings and new threads caused me to re ask this question and I still hope that BT will move forward with NF.

Whilst some of the regular names have disspappeared, a few of us have established personal contact and most if not all have indicated they will return “back into the pack” at some point, especially if NF appears.

One question I would ask (and I emphasis that this is an open question and not on behalf of the publishers or site manager), but would people be willing to pay a nominal fee or contribution to the site to make it a better community or is this something that people would be very much against. I am only asking about the concept, not the amount – and again, I stress this is a prsonal question, not on behalf of BT or the publishers.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 127 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls