The fattest person I have ever sat next to…

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 128 total)

• VintageKrug
    Participant

Possibly the concept that anyone with any class drinks Chardonnay? 😉

AnnChan
    Participant

Indeed. But i thought that ‘a few pints of Stella’ would betray my roots. I am well classy, you know?

VintageKrug
    Participant

Back on topic!

I had that worst of combinations on last night’s two sectors. A “chatty fatty” sitting behind me.

Not only the size of a house, but also exhibited verbal diahorrea of monumental proportions as he chatted up a similarly rotund lady seated next to him.

Struggling to focus on my papers I moved from 1A back to the rarely-travelled and thankfully empty row 4.

lloydah
    Participant

Serves me right for making a last minute booking in economy – returning from Zurich yesterday – chap whose circumference merited at least one satellite in orbit around him not only complained loudly that the aisle was too narrow but also because I insisted the arm rest between us was to remain in position. I was in that middle seat which one avoids at all costs when having to fly at the back. Felt more like the Maginot Line to me, repel all borders. Came away feeling that charging for combined weight of baggage and pax is def. a good idea.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I really think the new APD should levy a charge for larger passengers.

ivornomates
    Participant

I strongly feel that people who spill out of standard seat should simply have to pay for a second seat, I dont care what problems they might have in being fat, I dont want them near me, touching me or oozing the smells onto me in anyway or form. I once saw a guy so fat in an emergency exit seat with fixes armrests who could not even get a seatbelt extension around him and he was so rude to the crew, yet they let him fly. He stunk the cabin cabin out and the poor people either side of him must have needed disinfecting after the flight. People should not have to endure fat people encrouching into the space they have paid for.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Why should only fat people be able to buy a second seat? I would be happy to pay for a second seat in Economy for the extra space it would afford. The C fare is about 5 times the Y fare from LUG to LCY. The only advantage of C is the middle seat being kept free. Leg room is the same. I only drink water and rarely eat on short-hauls. So I would happily pay extra, but it seems I cannot pay for a second seat and not use it?

bombayteddy
    Participant

I think this issue needs to be differentiated into two considerations: SIZE and WEIGHT.
    I dont think anyone should charge a person extra for how much he weighs, as though he were a piece of luggage. It just isnt right.
    If, on the other hand, he is too large (and that could mean he’s built like a quarterback and not necessarily obese!) then the airline would be justified in asking him to purchase two seats, so as not to inconvenience the passenger(s) next to him.
    How would this be determined? Perhaps by seeing if he fits into a special molded seat at the time of check-in!

lloydah
    Participant

That’s quite true bombayteddy, it’s not all big people who are fat, or even vice versa. I’ve several times thought that, as a lot of the population of the planet appears to be getting more and more obese, airlines should introduce two types of economy seating, standard and wide. They could charge more for the wide ones which you’d have to purchase if you were over a certain size. Average pax could purchase them if they wanted and have to if they were the only seats left. Not much different from charging more as the flight progressively fills. Simpler, perhaps, would be all economy seating being made a bit bigger although this would push up the cost of travel for everyone.

FlyR0772
    Participant

Let’s not forget that airlines provide a public service. If you pay, you can fly… if you can’t (safely) get in to a seat on an aircraft and it clearly means the seat next door cannot be used, either upgrade or get the train!… we’re all taxed too much for flying as it is….

VintageKrug
    Participant

They should tax the ugly people off the airlines.

That was my only criticism of Easyjet when I dipped a toe in the (not unpleasant, and actually quite warm and bubbly) water flying with them last year.

Fully of unattractive t-shirted types, with some of the ladies even wearing football shirts.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Now you’re talking VK! However, I’m sure you mean those of ugly character rather than those whose faces are “visibly challenged”???

SimonRowberry
    Participant

LP – judging from my (thank God) limited experience of EasyJet, VK probably meant both!

Mind you, have you seen the average Ryanair clientele? Makes EZ look like Lufthansa Private Jet.

Simon

SimonRowberry
    Participant

PS We have a series on Sky here called “Airport” (or Airline, forget which), which is a reality programme following EZ at Liverpool and Luton. It’s a few years old but it’s bloody hilarious.

The funniest bits concern the passengers who try to check-in after closing and who fail to realise that the worst strategy to adopt in such circumstances is to be utterly offensive to the only people who can actually get you on the plane…..

It’s the only thing worth watching on Sky. It should really be on their “Psychology Channel.”

S

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I can appreciate what you say Simon, even though, thankfully, I’ve never had to fly Ryanair and the day I have to will be the day I hang up my flying shoes, put on my slippers and watch the world go by while enjoying a nice, “fat” cigar.

Being serious for a moment though, checking the door to door price of Ryanair, including all their charges, and comparing it with a Swiss flight to LCY (where I need to end up when flying to London), Swiss beats them hands down, not to mention a nice Senator lounge in Zurich and free refreshments at Lugano, a sandwich and drinks onboard in economy, and, if needed, free hand baggage and free checked baggage. Wow!

However, we must not wander from the subject of this post, but I feel my “fat” cigar qualifies for inclusion in this thread!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 128 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls