The fattest person I have ever sat next to…

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 128 total)

• bombayteddy
    Participant

Being overweight myself, I find some of the suggestions here shocking and repellent….and tantamount to racism, or discrimination against someone with a physical disability. For example, how DARE anyone even think that an overweight passenger should be weighed and made to pay for his “excess baggage”??

Instead, surely a modicum of consideration (if not compassion) would be warranted, as overweight people have a lot more to bear than just excess weight! Some have obesity-related health-problems, or issues with mobility. And most are genuinely embarassed by the trouble or inconvenience they may cause to others.

I remember one personal experience: Flying First Class on SQ in the old 2-2-2 layout, I was sitting next to an Asian passenger (who, from his accent, may have been from the USA) and the usual pleasantries were exchanged. Shortly after take-off, I got up to visit the washroom (he had the window-seat and I the aisle) accidentally knocking-over my glass of champagne onto his lap. I tried my best to help him clean-up and apologised profusely, but only got an extremely contemptuous and cold response….and silence for the rest of the flight, which was fine by me. Considering he was wearing a dark suit (so there were no stains) and this was a night flight into Mumbai (so it was unlikely he was going straight to a business meeting) I found his response unnecessarily nasty, especially considering I had apologized sincerely.

So maybe those who are fat AND obnoxious are right after all….as niceness is seen by many as weakness!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Well done Simon. Having just stayed a few days at the Mount Nelson in Cape Town, I came across a few more of those obnoxious people who think they are better than anyone else. Anyway, to my amazement my ten year old boy, came out with a few words, such as stuck up, brainless etc which put them visibly to shame.

BombayTeddy, what a great handle. Fully agree with your comments. Glad we are back on track with the original thread.

safranc23
    Participant

PaulRWoods…
    Which airlines dont allow breastfeeding? I would much rather sit next to a nursing mother than have a hungry fractious baby screaming in my ear for the duration. Everyone else on the flight gets a drink and something to eat, I wonder who on earth would want to deprive an infant!

luckyone
    Participant

I totally agree with Simon.

I have travelled with my niece who was 4yo on biz, nephew, 4mo old together with his mother and they didn’t didn’t disturb a soul. Children generally are glued on to cartoons or their own toys and games as well as the “aircraft’s childrens pack”.

Majority of my family, extended family and friends all travel frequently and travel with children in both biz and first class depending on route with a maid in economy. I have never encountered “spoilt brats running around in biz or first class”.

Mostly I find that it’s the adults that make a big fuss. Those who really pay for their fares know how to behave “ethically” and do not complain as much. I am blessed enough to be one of them and I have travelled on economy as well on short hauls and sometimes just to walk around to see how others behave!

viking01
    Participant

Families families families…

Now then, back to fat people, or, as they say in France

“Passengers with a high body mass”

Got to love them…

http://www.airfrance.co.uk/GB/en/common/guidevoyageur/assistance/particuliere_pfc.htm

“…The aisle width on our aircrafts is 43 cm (17 inches).
    The width of our onboard seats is:

* 40 to 45 cm (16-17 inches) in the Voyageur and Alizé cabins (which corresponds to a waist measurement of 135 cm or 53 inches),

* 47 cm (18.5 inches) in Affaires medium-haul business class cabins, (which corresponds to a waist measurement of 149 cm or 59 inches),

* 47 cm (19 inches) in Premium Voyageur long-haul class cabins, (which corresponds to a waist measurement of 149 cm or 59 inches),

* 50 to 53 cm (20-21 inches) in La Première first class and Affaires long-haul business class cabins, (which corresponds to a waist measurement of 200 cm or 79 inches).

If you are traveling in Affaires business class on a medium-haul flight, for technical reasons, you will not be able to reserve an additional seat. In this case, you are advised to reserve two adjacent seats in the Voyageur cabin.

In the interest of safety, if the flight is full and you have not reserved an additional seat, you may not be allowed to board if your build does not permit you to sit comfortably in a single seat.

The best suggestion is that if you are too fat for the business class seat (now that’s going some!) then you get downgraded to two economy class seats.

DOWNGRADED BECAUSE I WAS FAT !

Will be the headline, I imagine.

One thought, though. If a fat person can purchase the seat next to them in economy, and then not get charged for it if the plane isn’t full, why can’t I?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Years ago (in the days of F & Y only) I had a friend (of normal weight and size) who received his travel allowance in cash and was permitted due to his position in the company to fly F. What he would do was book two seats, window and aisle in Y thus guaranteeing no-one would sit next to him and giving him enough extra space for his coat, papers and that extra bit of comfort. The saving over first was still enough to make it worthwhile and allowed him to pocket some extra (taxfree) cash.

It seems this is no longer allowed and Ryanair bans it altogether though digging through Easyjet’s site it seems it is possible under certain circumstances but you have to call them, it’s not possible to book online. In theory this would give you double baggage allowance (which in some cases would make it cheaper than paying the excess charge) and I suppose if you book two seats and check-in online you would perhaps get away with it.

Has anyone tried this and what was the outcome I wonder?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

PS to the above: I wonder if you get miles for both seats, or just the one?

bombayteddy
    Participant

Perhaps the national airline of France should levy an extra charge to those passengers who are smelly and/or rude, especially on flights in and out of Paris. That would make them a lot of money!

Hess963
    Participant

Hi everyone !!

just to stay objective here–if I am the flying pax with huge size–and I know that a typical economy seat is just too tight for my own comfort–isn’t it just normal to think, what is better for me rather than torment myself with discomfort and your neighbours as well. If want to sit in Y class–I would rather take the possibility and purchase the seat next to me and at least secure myself peace, comfort and freedom. Regarding flying in C or F. Some C class seats are wider than Y class seats in general–but there are airlines which C seats are not that wide enough–for some others( I saw it often in my previous flights–some had problems relaxing in their C seats internat. and regional) So what would be the best–buy the a second seat in Y or get a C or F seat with wide seats.

P.S. this is not an offence on those readers who are big in size–but an objective opinion, instead of cursing the airlines or people of a certain region.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

On a recent flight to LHR-SFO i was sat comfortably in my seat (business) and a huge person, sweaty and smelly came to sit next to me. Once all the bags we stowed out came the sandwiches, the doors hadnt closed and once they had been deposited inside the drink requests started. As I knew the flight was full, I did the only decent thing – got up, gathered my belongings and proceeded to get off and wait for the next flight – after io course I had asked for my bag to be retrieved from the hold.

Its the first and only time I have met a Captain who said he had personally assesed the ‘situation’ and invited me to another more comfortable seat in First.

I was incidentally, more than happy to take the next flight – but the Captain, what a nice man, resolved the problem.

I had heard from the cabin crew that somebody had refused an upgrade from economy+ to business when they saw who they were sitting next to.

Happy days

Hess963
    Participant

Hi everyone !!

I believe most of us here — have nothing against people who are big ! But the main point is not the size of those persons who we dislike in such circumstances but the smell and hygenic condition these persons have while seating beside or around us.

We should always consider that hygene is very important when flying as you are encountering different people. It is not only the matter how high those hygenic standards each one of us expect from somebody we do not know – but at least to consider it seriously and apply it in a moderate way. Everyone of us here — would have taken the same steps as Martyn in such situations when there are no other vacant seats left on that flight.

Against noise – you could use your ear plugs to at least minimize the noise level or being lucky just blocked it entirely. But against a bad odour or smell ( no, I am not recommending to use those ear plugs for your nose– although it is an option — but looking like Miss Piggy in the end !) — it isn’t quite easy to find a solution without hurting someone’s feeling — Yes, how could you politely say to this person that he/she “stinks” without at least risking to have a verbal fencing ?

It is quite easy to get help from a FA to find a solution isn’t ? But the problem is still not solved — well entirely ! If you can move somewhere else than the problem is only solved locally. But this “stinking person ” is still the menace of those seating beside or near him/her.

So it is important to remember us everytime that we are not ” alone in this world ” that we have other ” roomies ” in this planet ! And we should be aware of the impact we have to others –not only regading our BEHAVIOURS ! but also our hygenic conditions.

A last thought !– I remembered when I flew CX to Mumbai in the past. I was sitting beside an Indian pax who smelled so strong of ” curry “. I was appalled at that moment but I realized .. hey, Mr. Hess who are you to think like that! .. You are flying to India.. you would be encountering a lot of those locals who would smell the same ! So after realizing my prejudices — main meal was being served at that moment — I opted for the local curry dish. And afterwards I did not smell the “curry” from my neighbour at all because I am the one who smelled like curry now !

Of course I did not mean that we should smell like the person beside us — but sometimes do remember to be modest and think first before we judged those who are different from our European point of views or living standards.

Back to the hygenic conditions — I just seriously recommend those pax who have the possibility to take a shower during stopovers to do so before continuing their long haul flights. Or at least use some wet tissues to refresh themselves. And against bad odours — decent use of deodorants and of course mouthwash are really not that big issues, aren’t they folks ??

LuganoPirate
    Participant

It is not only overweight people who may or may not smell. I have sat next too many a larger person with no problem at all. I have also sat next to thin people who last saw a shower in the 60’s.

Long (and short) greasy haired people (of both sexes) who do not apply deodorant, and even, mainly women here, who have the habit of fluffing up their long hair, letting hair and other “dust” fly out over me or worse, my drink or meal.

So let’s not discriminate on the basis of size. It would just be nicer if people recognize that traveling in small confines means a little more consideration towards their neighbours.

Senator
    Participant

Sometimes well-intended actions may backfire… I was sitting next to a gentleman on the 03:30am departure from Tunis to FRA last autumn in row one in business. This gentleman must have used half a bottle of a strong fragrance… This is normally a flight with major sleep challenges due to short haul aircraft, timing of flight, but it was awful.. To my dismay, no alternative seat was available as the flight was full.

BBC’s fast:track aired a discussion on Friday on whether overweight passengers should pay more. To view this, including comments from our very own Tom Otley, visit:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/8539156.stm

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Hess,

Thank you for making me laugh!!

Simon

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 128 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls