SWISS v LH Longhaul – Advice Please

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)

• SimonRowberry
    Participant

Thanks, KSH, that’s extremely reassuring.

I will report back with a review in due course.

Simon

KSHaggag
    Participant

Thanks ,Simon !

That will be great to share your experience with us …

I will personally be looking forward very much to reading your comments

Enjoy your Swiss experience !

Karim

flyingcanadian
    Participant

Hi Simon, I am thinking of exactly the same route with my 8yr old son in July/August. I agree that with the LX business class fares, we can fly J/C class all the way to PVG for a lot less than SQ/TH. I look florward to your reply. We have been flying LX J/C class for over a year and have nothing but praise for service and facilities.
    Enjoy your flight!

KSHaggag
    Participant

Hi FlyingCanadian !

So refreshing to hear your comments !!…by the way ,the Zurich /Montreal leg will get the new A333 soon ,so you will have the possibility to fly First on LX after so many years of absence from the Montreal route ….u can use your miles to upgrade and enjoy F on LX !!!….stunning ..!

Cheers !

Karim

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Hi Karim and FC.

Thanks for the positive stuff. I’m not going until July but I’ll post the review as soon as poss thereafter.

FC – make sure your 8–year old behaves, old chap! You know the view that some people on this Forum take towards kids in premium cabins……; )

If he’s anything like my lad was when he was 8 and up front, he’ll recline in the massive seat, get his Gameboy out and not say boo to a goose all flight (as long as the food and drink keep coming!).

Enjoy – and thanks again for the advice.

Simon

flyingcanadian
    Participant

Hi Simon & Karim,

Thank you both for your kind comments and remarks.

Simon, my son has been flying F & J/c for 5 yrs since his Mother died. He is SE with AC and PPS club with SQ.

He has been on TV and in the newspapers as the youngest SE member in the world. He was only 4 when he obtained his first Gold card!
    At the end of a flight, pax come to me and say that they did not even know there was a child in F/J. He has even been in the cockpit on several flights even though it was stopped afer 9/11.

We fly in July, Simon, so our paths might cross!

Regards to all,
    FC.

KSHaggag
    Participant

Hi FlyingCanadian !

WOW!!!..I am sooooooooo proud of your cute son !!!…this is indeed lovely !!!…………I wish I had one like him ……………..I even wish our paths cross on one of the Star Alliance carriers flights one day !..may I have your email address please ?

Thanks and see you soon ,somewhere above the clouds !

Karim

SimonRowberry
    Participant

To Tom Otley:

Tom,

I would be grateful if you could forward my email address to both Flying Canadian and Karim, please.

Kindest regards,

Simon

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Simon, just seen this post so sorry I did not comment earlier, but glad to see you chose Swiss, you will not regret it. Despite what some say, the Swiss crew are much friendlier than LH and nothing seems to be much trouble for them.

ZRH is hassle free and much easier to navigate than FRA. Good lounges, spotless terminal and some very good food outlets.

If you like chocolate, go to the Sprungli shop. Try the “Truffes” and on the way back buy the Truffe cake (it’s shaped like the roof of a house) and bask in the grateful thanks of your family and friends!!!

By any chance have you or anyone else reading this stayed at the Marina Bay Sands in S/pore? Grateful for any comments.

Enjoy Swiss and don’t get too stressed on such a long trip in just a few days! Best wishes, LP.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Hi LP

Thanks for the advice, my friend. I’ve used Swiss a lot on short-haul over the last twelve months and found them to be excellent (apart from their ContactAir partner), but this will be my first long-haul venture with them. I agree with you about Zurich – an excellent airport. even though the current state of Pier B means a lot of bussing for non-Schengen European flights.

As Swiss connections to BHX tend to involve an overnight on the return leg, I’ve become an expert on ZRH Airport hotels. My views are:

Hilton – Probably one of the worst Hiltons in Europe. Small rooms (mine was still occupied by the previous guest the first time I stayed there), high prices, a restaurant with expensive and inedible food.

Park Inn – great value for money. Really friendly staff and a good free shuttle service to the airport.

Radisson Blu – similar to the Park Inn but higher prices and a much larger hotel. Pretty good, though.

Sleep Cabins (inside the terminal) – a real budget option but fairly claustrophobic and also limited to a vending machine for food and drink.

I’m looking forward to trying long-haul LX immensely.

FC – your son is pretty impressive! Mine is merely a humble basic card holder in SAS EuroBonus and Junior Finnair Plus.

Regards and thanks,

Simon

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Fully agree about the hotels. Try the Movenpick. It’s a bit 70’s, though I believe its been refurbished. Good rates and far superior to the Hilton.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Hi Simon,

Thinking of your experience on Swiss with the Chinese passenger, I thought this clip from Youtube may bring back a few memories!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztrOt3OXym8&feature=related

Hope you enjoyed Shanghai?
    Best wishes,
    Lugano.

PS: To see the full thread of this article, go here:
    http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/4892686/
    If you enjoy planes there are some great photo’s here and some interesting discussions from the industry and pilots.

flyingcanadian
    Participant

Hi Simon,

Thank you for your comments re my son. His mother died when he was only 3, so he has travelled with me ever since on all my business trips. As we travel J/C and occassionally F, he soon clocks up the miles. We fly around the world in J/C/F buying the tickets in Asia, where it is half the price of buying elsewhere.
    Has anyone yet tried Hansa’s 380 in J/C class, please? I am waiting for a feedback.

David
    Participant

Good morning all.

Does anyone know when the A340-300 refit will be completed (i.e. new lay-flat/horizontal beds) on SWISS? LX’s website only mentions the new product on the A330s with no mention (that I could find) of the new seats being rolled out on the A340s.

I flew SWISS on their A340 service in February of this year (to TLV) and it was still the old ‘wedgie’ seat.

Lastly (and specifically), does anyone know whether the new product is fitted on the A340 service to BKK?

Thanks and best wishes.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Hi Home,

According to the Station Manager for Swiss at PVG, the next routes for the A340 revamp are the US ones, including the new San Francisco destination, and also Hong Kong, I think he said.

He definitely stated that PVG wouldn’t get the new product until summer 2011.

Hope this helps a bit,

Regards, Simon

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls