SWISS v LH Longhaul – Advice Please

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)

• SimonRowberry
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

I have to go to Shanghai shortly for a few days. I have a choice between Swiss and Lufthansa. The fares are pretty much the same, as are the timings (and if I choose LH I’d only have to suffer FRA one-way as it’s MUC on the way back). The Star Alliance points are also pretty much the same. The choice is down to service.

Although I’m a big fan of LX in Europe, I’ve never flown them longhaul. The aircraft would be an A340. I understand from their website that this doesn’t have lie-flat seats, unlike the A330, and that seating is 2-2-2, so no single seats, unlike the A330.

I last few Lufty longhaul a year or so ago to Delhi. I understand that their longhaul product hasn’t changed since then.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks and regards,

Simon

Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

I think you mean fully-flat, as lie flat means wedgie.

Swiss First is super, beats Lufty First as that has older style side by side seats (soon to be changed in the A380).

Rumours are that Lufty will block the second seat for use as a bed to ensure the same levels of privacy fleet wide.

In Business, both have a wedgie seat so pretty grim if you don’t like them/can’t sleep off the horizontal (have sat in both for a few moments and wasn’t impressed – uncomfortable and Lufty in particular was bumpy as the fabric covering was ribbing along the bendy bits in the seat).

Food looked excellent on both airlines on my forays down the back.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Thanks VK – I stand humbly corrected on the wedgie (which I always thought was something to do with underwear!).

I forgot to mention that it’ll be in Business, rather than First.

I’m only 5′ 8″ so I tend to slide down wedgie seats, but it looks as if that’s the same on both airlines.

Looks like I’ll go with Swiss (and also avoid FRA totally). Thanks for your advice.

Simon

MarcusUK
    Participant

I flew the A330 Swiss business to Dubai 2 months ago. The cabin layout was excellent, & the food impeccable, service welcoming, & overall it really was an excellent experience.

LH have some now pretty ageing aircraft especially the 747’s. For me in choosing, i look quite specifically at the aircraft used on the route, that is a base for starting to choose between options.

Are there not options with other Star Alliance partners such as SQ, admittedly with a change en route?
    Otherwise i would go with Swiss…i was very impressed with my flight, & it not only relied on the seat.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Thanks, Mark. I’m trying to fly BHX-PVG as directly as possible, so that really limits me to LX and LH.

I had thought about AY from LHR, but this trip is so short, I could do without the hassle of getting to LHR. Also, AY’s fare is not as competitive as either LH or LX’s.

Simon

KSHaggag
    Participant

I do endorse all the Gentlemen s feedback ….I am an addict Swiss lover but this is indeed justified …..Swiss in my eyes offers the best standards of comfort and service onboard and on the ground ….they still have among the BEST BEST ever cabin crew ,let alone Maitre de Cabine especially those who are manning the premium cabins …..seat comfort is good ,service and attention great ,food and drinks among the best in the industry …..in Europe ,they lead the way by far ….head and shoulders above the rest ..on the intercontinental front ,i consider them among the elite carriers …..go for Swiss !!!

Senator
    Participant

Simon,

I am a great fan of the new LX C- and F-class products on the A330-300. I also believe the ZRH hub is an excellent transit point. Whilst LH has the industry’s most professional staff and always deliver to a high standard, they can be “cold” at times. I find LX staff more “chatty” and personal which suits me.

However, the LX A340-300s have not been re-furbished yet and the seats on these are dreadful in my view. They are very steep and hard. To be fair to LH, their C-class lie-flat product which is standard on across the fleet is better. However, the rest of the product I believe LX is better. Just be aware of the seat. I do believe LX has updated the duvet and pillow and you get the same as the new A330-300.

Once the A340-300s have been re-furbished, it is “auf wiedersehen” to LH for me on routes also operated by LX from ARN. Interestingly, LX tends to be much cheaper from ARN. The downside is that we only have two LX flights on the weekends, and limited SK code-shares so it hard to use all LX long-haul connections without extra night in ZRH or long day-time layovers.

Have fun!

Legroomneeded
    Participant

In this situation i would definitely recommend http://www.seatplans.com I use it all the time when i have such Dilemmas no better benchmark than actual travellers

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Thanks, KSH and Senator.

For me, the ability to sleep is going to be crucial on this trip as I will almost literally go straight from PVG to a day-long workshop in which I will playing a major role.

LH is now coming up on the rails, in light of what Senator has said about the seat comparison.

Last time I used Lufty, I found it a bit of a scrum at FRA to board the 747, as there was poorly organised priority boarding. Also, hand baggage space was inadequate and I had to stow my laptop under my extended seat, if I remember correctly. These are all hassles I could do without on this one, as is FRA (even only on the outward leg).

Dear, oh, dear. A hard one to call (the fares are within a few hundred quid of each other). I’m tempted to shell out the additional for a limited First ticket on LH, in the light of what VK has said. However, not sure how this will go down with one of my major shareholders (Mrs R).

Has anyone else any views on this crucial seat comparison point, please? I need to book my ticket shortly……

Many thanks indeed,

Simon

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

Hi Simon,

I have used LH and LX longhaul on many occassions. for me there is not that much to choose between the seats but the LX service overall is much better so i would definitely choose LX if I were in your position.

I hope that helps,

Safe travels,

Jonathan

KSHaggag
    Participant

GO FOR SWISS ….!..u won t regret it !…enjoy your trip !

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Cheers JoCo.

On balance, Swiss it is. Thanks to all for your advice.

Simon

robdub
    Participant

Simon, take LX short-haul and triple it in quality, service, LX for sure, a no brainer

MartynSinclair
    Participant

the only other comment i could add to this discussion is that i find that the LH cabin is warmer in terms of temperature than LX. This “apparently” has to do with the shape and materials used in the LH cabin, in that it retains body heat more. I have had a few uncomfortable nights when the cabin crew wouldnt reduce the heat despite many requests from pax. Apparently the galley is far cooler becasue of the exposed metal frames etc.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls