SWISS v LH Longhaul – Advice Please

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)

• Senator
    Participant

Simon,

One thought struck me last night. I am not sure which Star Alliance airline FF programme you belong to. But perhaps you could upgrade using points/miles from business to First on LX? If I recall correctly, you are SK EBG?

http://www.flysas.com/en/EuroBonus/Spend-earn-EuroBonus/Airlines/StarAlliance/Star-Alliance-upgrade-awards/

The outbound flight is overnight and I understand you are heading straight for business. The LX return flight is a day flight (however, I enjoy First more on day flights so I can enjoy the onboard service).

TominScotland
    Participant

Just back from Hong Kong with LX in Business, also on the 340-300, and found the experience very similar to that on the LH 340 from MUC (not FRA) from a couple of months ago. The seating is claustrophobically close together – in many ways more like stretched short-haul rather than giving any sense of space. Not too much different from AF on similar aircraft. Compared to the Upper Deck on a 747, its a no brainer which I would prefer. LX service was fine, probably a bit smoother and with some lighter touches than the norm on LH, alright but not alot in it. Certainly miles better than AF!!

MarkCymru
    Participant

I find the LH lie flat seats very comfortable — they claim it’s memory foam but, what ever it is, I don’t slide down them. I also find LH staff really nice. The Swiss A340 seats are steeper and less comfortable.

Also be very careful: I think that Swiss have about 10 Airbus 330-200s left. These look ok on seating diagrams and appear to have more legroom than the 340 but they are old and gruesomely uncomfortable. I was booked on a route with a 340 and they substituted the 330-200. It was just awful — the closest I’ve come to feeling as if I had a slipped disc without actually having one. (The new, fully-flat business seats are on the 330-300 and look excellent although I haven’t tried them yet).

robdub
    Participant

Fly First

TominScotland
    Participant

Dear RobertWillett

And I thought Marie Antoinette lost her head in 1793!! Good to see that she did survive…….

Senator
    Participant

MarkCymru,

There are only three A330-200s left in the fleet as of the Summer timetable. Six A330-300s have been delivered and they are superb in business and First.

robdub
    Participant

Very quick Mark, I like, still, fly First, business is the new economy/coach of the 80’s/90’s

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Robert,

I’d love too. the problem is that the cost would come straight and directly out of my bottom line.

Senator,

Good idea, thanks. I am indeed SK EBG. I’m currently intending to fly on a fixed Business Class ticket, and this doesn’t allow an upgrade for points from this fare base. However, I may consider upgrading to a flexible C-class ticket and then upgrading.

Simon

MartynSinclair
    Participant

is it possible to check with airlines bringing in new flat beds in business which product will be used on any particular day. I would love to try the new Finnair flat bed, but dont want to risk the wedgie one instead. From previous posts this is possible when looking for the new BA First offering.

Apologies for going off thread – I think the answer will also depend on the cabin crew service. A good crew makes the experience of either LH/LX seat even better.

Look forward to hearing which one you choose.

r ryan
    Participant

I fly to Zurich quite frequently from Australia, and connect with Swiss from an Asian port – usually Hong Kong, sometimes Tokyo or Bangkok. I can concur with most posters – Swiss is a very relaxed experience – despite the wedgie J seat.

Zurich airport is oh-so-more user friendly and stress free compared with FRA; the food and wine is good, and service laid-back, professional and friendly..

Their A340 seat is not the best, and too steep, but there are a couple of tricks I learned from the crew. If you put the seat completely “flat” ie at its maximum extension, it is VERY steep, and you will slide and wedge your unterhosen. The trick is to extend the seat fully, then retract it just a little bit, which then allows you to raise the foot rest a few centimetres higher. This moves the seat into a slight “Z” shape and minimises the slide. The seat always feels too short for me regardless (just on 2m) Favourite seats are row 6, at the bulkhead (rows 4 and 5 are behind first class in the forward cabin – very quiet private cabin feel) When the seat is down for sleep (as above) there is enough room to wedge a flight bag between the footrest and the bulkhead, put a pillow on it and, voila. This is impossible in the non-bulhead seats. The centre pair have a little more legroom, and there is the advantage of aisle access without having to do the dreaded ‘legover’ to get out. Then take a mild sleeping capsule. Works for me!

Despite the seat, I find the LX experience overall the least stressful way to go. NOTE – on the Swiss website, the old seats have disappeared off the seat map – it is showing the new 1-2-1; 2-2-1 arrangement. these are 180 degree completely flat seats. you may get lucky!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Flying Fox

Try vintage Port instead of the sleeping capusle – about 1/3rd of the bottle if you are 5 foot 7 inches. Slightly more if taller, slightly less if shorter. Wooooooooow it works a treat – knocks me out for a good 6 – 7 hours. For non vintage, increase by 50%. Better than any sleeping capsule and a little more enjoyable.

VintageKrug
    Participant

The old Lufty J seats (pre-wedgie) used to be able to be manually adjusted to go fully flat if you knew what you were doing. Highly illegal, though.

KSHaggag
    Participant

Gentlemen!

I would really like to say that the Lufty J seats on the A333,A343,A346 are among the most cumbersome to operate and least comfortable in the air ,compared to other airlines in Business cabins …..!!….moreover ,quite often the buttons are stiff ..stuck….not working properly …..very often ,i or my neighbor had to relocate to look for a seat whose system is functioning ….i usually end up settling for an uncomfortable position as a compromise …a very unpleasant feeling ……………ALL other airlines seats are MUCH MUCH simpler and easier to operate ,let alone they allow you to sit ,or relax or sleep in a much better position !!!!!..come on ,LH !!!!..I have not tried the B744 s yet !!!!…..are they different ???.i hope the new A380 Business seat will be simpler and more comfortable ….
    Oupssssssssss…..i wanted to say that the audio programme on LH IFE is one of the least inspiring I have ever had to listen to in the sky !!!..I wanna talk to the gentleman responsible for the inflight entertainment …………………do u know him ???

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Hi all,

I decided on Swiss in the end. A snip at (from BHX) GBP 1,590 return. I even got a 72-hour option on this inflexible fare. This was compared to GBP 1,650 on LH (with a long stopover between flights at FRA – about 8 hours on the way out) and GBP 1,700 (from LHR) on AY, all for similar non-changable Business Class fares. No option period with either LH or AY.

It is currently an unrefurbished A340 both ways, with 2-2-2 seating. When I called Swiss at ZRH (at 01.00 am, yet they were still as courteous as ever) to make the seat requests, they told me that it is possible that it will be a refurbished A340 by the time I fly, and almost certainly so on the return flight. These will be 1-2-1 or 2-2-1 seating.

I live in hope.

Many thanks to all of you for your advice – it certainly influenced my purchasing decision.

Kindest regards,

Simon

KSHaggag
    Participant

Mr Rowberry !

Congrats on your choice ..finally ….LX will be pleased to hear they won the battle !!..ha ha ….i can suure you that even with the old LX product ,you will be in very good hands ….the swiss have traditionally had the ” savoir faire ” in the air and on the ground ….it feels different to be onboard a LX aircraft ….I am a great fan of this airline …..By the way ,I tried their new A333 Business class product on a Dubai/Zurich leg…..it is nice but i personally like the old product still …very much !

Enjoy your trip ….

Vive LX !

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls