Sly practice from Heathrow Express

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 146 total)

• ba747fan1
    Participant

It is far more important for the express to run and as endless people have said, there are lots of cheaper alternatives and also the express has reduced its prices. I think there should be congratulations to HEX for coming up with a good solution which keeps everyone moving. There is clearly no monoply and HEP have worked hard to provide the best service they can with the resources available. FGW provide an alternative and connecting with the frequent bus for local stations.

SurreyTraveller01
    Participant

MrMichael may I suggest 2 reader for you:
    1/ This article in the DT
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/9484276/British-trains-still-connect-the-worst-of-both-worlds.html
    2/ A basic definition: A monopoly is a situation in which a single company or group owns all or nearly all of the market for a given type of product or service. By definition, monopoly is characterized by an absence of competition, which often results in high prices
    … HEX is the ONLY company operating rail services between LHR and Paddington

NTarrant
    Participant

But National Express has a monopoly on Heathrow to Victoria Coach Station.

SurreyTraveller01
    Participant

Let’s get some competition between LHR and Paddington and everyone will benefit!

NTarrant
    Participant

What makes you think that someone would want to compete on LHR-Paddington?

SurreyTraveller01
    Participant

as Heathrow and Heathrow Express didn’t act responsibly towards passengers and local communities, someone should!
    NTarrant, – do y ou work for LHR / HEX? As the forum is anonymous it’s hard to check, but your reactivity (within less than 5 mins) is so “exceptional”!!!!

SimonS1
    Participant

Pleased to see the petition has limped over 500 signatories now. Confirms what a non story it is.

NTarrant
    Participant

An organisation of any kind needs to have a good business case for competing with an existing operator. Given that entry to the rail market under open access is very difficult it is unlikely that anyone would even think of competing with HEX. Just because someone alleges that an operator has not acted responsibly towards passengers or the community is not a good business reason to start a competing service.

For the record I do not work for HEX or LHR and never have done. I am a regular user of LHR and use HEX from time to time. Both organisations have acted responsibly to me. Interesting that you still have not said how they haven’t acted responsibly towards the community.

MrMichael
    Participant

Surreytraveller. It is clear you have an issue with HEX. Maybe you are an ex disgruntled employee, I don’t know. What I do know is that HEX with any stretch of the imagination is not operating a monopoly from LHR to central London.

People come on this forum with gripes about many aspects of travel and travel businesses whether it be HEX, BA, Iberia, Emirates….the list could go on and on and on…just like this thread. You clearly have in issue with HEX, maybe for good reason you have objections to their business model. That fine, come on here and slate them all you like, but do please stop playing the monopoly record…..

Edited to add…….75 million people fly in/out of Heathrow each year, plus those that work there, visit there etc. less than 6 million use HEX…..go figure

SurreyTraveller01
    Participant

500 signatures in a day is really good!!! Clearly many disgruntled passengers and commuters.
    If HEX wanted to act responsibly towards local communities, they would have maintained the LHR Connect and increased its frequency – usual HEX would have benefitted from a direct rail service with only 10 extra mins. Instead thousands of commuters are facing journeys which have more that tripled or significant higher cost. Most of these pax are facing the same problems EVERY DAY- the individual impact for air pax would have been much less in extra time (and because only a very small minority commute by plane). That’s a clear example of the lack of consideration Heathrow has towards local communities – all these disgruntled commuters will bear that in mind if asked for their opinion about LHR expansion

I understand why some of you don’t want to hear the monopoly word. Mr Michael you could also have added that the Heathrow Connect is the train line which suffers the WORST overcrowding – so when it comes to choices, for HEX there was only one: let’s keep the fat profits rolling in!!!

SurreyTraveller01
    Participant

And yes I have an issue with the HEX and Connect – purely as a pax and how so many pax are mislead / misinformed.
    I am not the only one.
    Robert Goodwill, the aviation minister went on the record with The Times and was very critical of LHR/ HEX – please contact your press officer for more details

SimonS1
    Participant

Why doesn’t Robert Goodwill do something about it then?

Like all govt ministers he is full of hot air. Well suited to aviation really.

MrMichael
    Participant

Surreytraveller, I think the temporary demise of the connect service is unfortunate, and perhaps even wrong in principle. I rarely use either so for me it is no more than an interesting forum topic plus my particular interest as I work in the transport infrastructure business. Let’s just put the monopoly thing to one side and consider what’s happened.

HEX is a private operator that paid and pays huge sums for it to be built. It’s business case was being the fastest mode of transport in getting people from LHR to Central London and vice versa. In that I think you would agree they have largely been successful.

Now consider the business problem when HEX due to probably no fault of their own had to lay up its rolling stock. They basically had three choices,

1. Close HEX. Advantages are, easy option, will keep commuters on the connect line happy. Disadvantages,loss of income, inter LHR terminal connections, poor perceptions of LHR by incoming/outgoing travellers.

2. Nick the trains from connect. Advantages keeps the airport connection to central London fast. Does not put extra pressure on other transport modes that may struggle with capacity/safety issues. Income. Disadvantages, loss of service for west London commuters.

3. A combination of the above 2 by decreasing capacity/services on both. Advantages, seems a fairer solution for all. Disadvantages, more people are delayed overall y the reduction of both.

End of the day HEX were in a position they did not want to be in, would have considered the above and taken the decision that was in the best interest of their business.

NTarrant
    Participant

Very well put Mr Michael

SurreyTraveller01
    Participant

You should ask your employer to pay you overtime. Unfortunately MrMichael’s analysis is very biased

For example:
    1. Close HEX. Advantages are, easy option, will keep commuters on the connect line happy.
    Not just commuters, HEX passengers will have the opportunity to pay event less
    Disadvantages,loss of income, – Wrong Connect still offers a premium price on the distance travelled
    inter LHR terminal connections,
    Wrong: no loss in terminal connection as the Connect departs from T5
    poor perceptions of LHR by incoming/outgoing travellers.
    A matter of opinion as many pax complain about the cost associated with the HEX

Guys, please try harder. I look forward to the prompt reaction from the HEX trio. 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 146 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls