Sly practice from Heathrow Express

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 146 total)

• theworldtraveller
    Participant

The reason why the Heathrow express is a rip off is simple – it’s owned by Heathrow itself! Just like the duty free (£39 for 200 cigs – you can buy 600 for that price in Asia!), passenger charges, free wifi only for a few hours and a T5 shopping environment that is not for the normal person.

“Heathrow Express is an airport rail link between London Heathrow Airport and Paddington. It opened in 1998 and is operated by the Heathrow Express Operating Company, a wholly owned subsidiary of Heathrow Airport Holding”

theavidtraveller
    Participant

You have to go to the ticket office or book online for using the railcard.

Incidentally, I bought a network rail card a couple of months ago to use with HEX since I travel quite a lot (even though work is paying for tickets I hate to waste money). I’ve probably used HEX 6 times now and they have never asked to see the railcard.

SurreyTraveller01
    Participant

Slash train ticket fares to go to Heathrow: £10 between T5 and Paddington. Months after the service has been updated, Heathrow still “omits” to mention that the Heathrow Connect (operated by Heathrow Express and FGW) now runs from T5 No announcements, the platform display don’t event show the train destination, HEX staff only mentions the Connect as a transfer service to Heathrow Central… how convenient. On the other hand, the displays at Paddington station show the Connect with Heathrow T5 as its final destination. Misinforming and failing to mention this cheaper train service is a VERY sly practice. Shame on LHR for misleading thousands of PAX

MrMichael
    Participant

@ SurreyTraveller01 – 17/01/2016 12:57 GMT. Can you name a business that promotes its competition at its own base please?

SurreyTraveller01
    Participant

well interestingly because the Heathrow Connect is jointly operated by Heathrow Express and FGW, it’s not strictly speaking a competitor (and the eye watering fare between LHR and Hayes per mile prove it). Regardless of the competitive situation passengers/customers are entitled to fair information. The current situation is misleading as PAX can’t make an informed choice. PAX should be asking for compensation!!!

SurreyTraveller01
    Participant

Next time you are arrive at Heathrow, try the Heathrow Connect. More than half price compared to the HEX

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Unless my destination in London is Paddington area (which it is never is), I have been using the underground from LHR to the West End and North London (home). Outside of peak rate it is very cheap and doesn’t take much longer than the other options…

KeaneJohn
    Participant

I use the tube for most journeys to/from Heathrow for the princely sum of £1 off peak and £1.50 peak as an extension to my travelcard.

Once last year I bought a rail card discounted returnd at around £23.

Then Heathrow Express introuced their advance purchase fares £6.99 when booking 90 days in advance great I thought I will treat myselt this year only to fiind the 90 day return is nearly double its original fare at £12 midweek and only £5.50 at the weekend.

I feel that Crossrail will have similar premiums due to Heathrow Airport charging fees to use the rail spur from the mainline to the terminals.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

KeaneJohn – Thanks for the update re the higher HEX fares. They must have been increased this month. We’ve received no notification at all from HEX.

Here’s the original news piece we ran last year.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/102036/heathrow-express-adds-6.99-single-fare

SurreyTraveller01
    Participant

HEX removed all information about the previous rates (completely failing to mentioning the new prices are X2 compared to the advanced rates previously available)…. so HEX DOUBLED its prices.

KeaneJohn
    Participant

Rapidly losing all respect for HEX here.. no wonder why the tickets are half the price at weekends. It is down to a 30 minute frequency until the end of May every weekend apart from 3 Saturdays.

This is taken from their running information…. You would think a material bit of information about that would be on their website close to where you would be buying these tickets.

9 January – 28 May 2016: We depart every 30 minutes on Saturdays

Due to Crossrail improvement works, services depart every 30 minutes on Saturdays until 28 May 2016. A full service will operate on Saturday 13 February, Saturday 5 March, and Saturday 21 May.

London Paddington to Heathrow Terminal 5
    The first service departs at 05:25 and then at 55 and 25 minutes past the hour with the last service at 23:25

Heathrow Terminal 5 to London Paddington
    The first service departs at 05:27 and then at 57 and 27 minutes past the hour with the last service at 23:42

Heathrow Terminals 2&3 to London Paddington
    The first service departs at 05:33 and then at 03 and 33 minutes past the hour with the last service at 23:46

We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

SurreyTraveller01
    Participant

Interesting statement about the Heathrow Express

Robert Goodwill, the aviation minister, recently criticised the service, suggesting that travellers were effectively pushed towards it rather than cheaper alternatives. Addressing the Commons transport select committee, he said: “If you arrive at Heathrow, it is not made quite clear to you that you could get a National Express coach or an underground ticket. They are very keen to sell you tickets on the Heathrow Express. Part of choice is having good information on which to base it.”

HarryMonk
    Participant

The practice of what some may describe as “Touting” to ensure the HEx is the first available public transport purchase option to be found upon arrival could also be seen as sly?.
    Last time I traveled through T5 the “touts” were positioned immediately after the exit from customs and before arrivals duty free. In T2 last time I was there they were even further embedded, positioned between immigration and luggage reclaim.
    Catch them early before they reach the outside world and discover there are other, probably cheaper and more convenient options?

ConstantFlyer
    Participant

Fortunately, I have found foolproof methods of avoiding Heathrow Express’s ludicrously high prices: If travelling to London, it’s called City Airport; if travelling further afield, it’s called changing at Schiphol!

FCTraveller
    Participant

The advance purchase fares starting at £6.99 were a welcome change. At least if you planned in advance, you could get value for money. Then three months later, without warning, they increase the fares, impose a weekend travel requirement and restrict their lowest business/first fares to weekend only. Just shows that they have no clue what they’re doing and probably running around like headless chickens. If the first three months were meant to be promotional fares, they should have been honest about it and not lead us to believe that this was permanent. For my part, I will start to use alternatives because I’m sick of their silly little games.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 146 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls