Sly practice from Heathrow Express

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 146 total)

• Anonymous

Carajillo2Sugar
    Participant

With two of us needing to get to/from Heathrow this coming weekend, I was looking at the Heathrow Express website on Tuesday and saw an offer for £10pp each way on Saturdays AND Bank Holidays throughout May. Excellent, I thought, that suits our needs to a T.

Not so fast, sucker!!

It wouldn’t allow me to book a round-trip for £20pp so I have just booked 2x one-ways Paddington-Heathrow and then tried to book the return journey, only to find that they have changed the deal and it now does not include Bank Holiday Monday 25th May!

That, I guess, is simply because they know they can clean up with all the poor sods trying to get to/from Heathrow, who they know will be needing to avoid the potential chaos with the rail strike.

If the heartless schmuck who came up with the idea is reading this, I hope the fleas of a thousand camels infest your groin…..

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Now now Carajillo, only a 1,000 camels? You’re being too kind 😉

AMcWhirter
    Participant

The UK rail strike was called off about 30 mins ago. It’s expected that trains will now run normally (I say “expected” because each TOC will make its own decision).

I would imagine the LHR Express will now run normally. So best check again as that deal may be re-instated.

Carajillo2Sugar
    Participant

Thanks, Alex, that’s what I’m hoping for.

MrMichael
    Participant

My groin itches!

I am not responsible specifically for Heahrow Express, however I have strongly urged my clients in the past to take advantage of events, strikes, holidays etc by not offering discounts when people will clamour to pay the full rate. I did also urge them not to take such financial advantage in the event of a disaster of any type such as terrorism or weather, earthquake etc.

MarcusUK
    Participant

I think the Heathrow Express has been a rip off on prices ever since it started!
    Very happy to take other methods to get to LHR, and for two of you the local cabs will be the same as two of these “sale” tickets.

Such a shame that we don’t have the Euros 3.90 they do each way in Amsterdam, or other rail transportation fares for a decent access for fast trains as they have throughout Asia. Along with the Governments “No Airport strategy” Companies like this come and penalise us for Air travel, and then we pay the taxes just to take off from the ground!

Amsterdam costs me Euros 3.90 for the same 16 min train journey, and savings of over £200 on not paying Government taxes, as well as the almost 30% change in Euro to £ rate. I can save £600 on International Business flights each departure from AMS compared to LHR, with a proper Strategic policy of a total airport revamp by the Airport, and a strategy set for the next 10 years, with normal fares to and from the airport from around the country.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello Marcus

Good to see you back on the Forum.

I reckon the best air-ral link (for speed and price) is the one at Genena.

Not only does the trip take a matter of minutes but it’s free to arriving passengers. You simply collect a free rail ticket (perhaps buses are included too) before you leave the airport arrivals’ area.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Yes, indeed, buses and trams are included too, and for the whole of the “tout Geneve” zone 10.

Then if you stay in a hotel, your hotel taxes pay for a free pass for the same zone for your entire stay.

A wonderful arrangement.

andystock
    Participant

LGW is cheap for me as I have a zone 1 to 5 annual travelcard, hence I only need to buy an East Croydon to LG ticket with network rail gold card discount t for around £3.00.

LCY is even better – no extra cost as it’s only in zone 3!

If crossrail is priced in line with the Heathrow connect I think crossrail will kill off the Heathrow express. As crossrail will take you direct into the west end, city and canary wharf from Heathrow.

SurreyTraveller01
    Participant

Another example of sly practice from Heathrow Express:
    The Heathrow Connect (operated by Heathrow Express and FGW) now runs from T5 leaving at 21 and 50 past the hour. This avoids a very inconvenient and lengthy connection at Heathrow Central (the Connect used to stop at T5 but without being open to passengers). Do you think this new improved service would be announced… no!!!! No announcements, the platform display don’t event show the train destination. Only a few well informed passengers use the service while other PAX are gullibly pointed to the much more expensive HEX (£10.10 vs. £21.50). How fair is that!!!! People in a rush or looking to chose a more comfortable travel option will continue to use the HEX, it’s appalling to see that HEX is not providing all the information for other passengers

HarryMonk
    Participant

I have used the new T2 a couple of times recently and noticed the HEX “touts” are even further embeded than before. Now airside immediately after immigration before passengers have reached the baggage carrousells. Those tourists need to be tapped before they discover alternative options landside !!!

SealinkBF
    Participant

Heathrow Express machines don’t accept Network or Gold railcards, even though they offer a discount.

Omission marketing? If we don’t talk about it people won’t ask for it.

MrMichael
    Participant

In many places in the world I detest being approached by touts of various ilks and products between immigration and customs. The fact it has now come to the UK is deeply disappointing.

I have noticed this tout trend becoming increasingly prevelant at UK High St restaurants too. One expects it in Greece and in Londons Brick Lane…..but Richmond!

SurreyTraveller01
    Participant

SealinkBF … many omissions but always one common factor: always in favour of HEX and at the expense of passengers. Other examples: ticket machines sell HEX and Heathrow Connect tickets – but ticket machines are branded HEX. Buy HEX from their app – you don’t get any Heathrow Reward points for that. Is that made clear … no!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 146 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls