Ryainair – Monday, documentary re own Pilots concerns!

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 90 total)

• Bullfrog
    Participant

Edski777

I can’t vouch for the number people that choose not to work for Ryanair because of it’s questionable operational policies.

I do however find that a large number of people I speak to choose not to fly with Fly&scare & that number can only grow.

Edski777
    Participant

Bullfrog,

Neither can I vouch for the number of people that won’t work for or fly with FR. The Channel 4 program will most likely put another group off both working for or flying with FR.
    For some an eye opener, for others just confimation of what they already knew or at least suspected.

My real concern is if and when government regulators will act and, if necessary, start investigating or that we will have to wait for the first casualties.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

FormerlyDoS – 11/08/2013 20:21 GMT
    The pigeons recieved Kamikaze training from Dr Evil.

I’m surprised at you DOS, that is a ridiculous statement.

Everyone knows it was Mini-Me gave the order.

MarcusUK
    Participant

So, how about we watch the documentary and leave our comments.
    This is why i did set up this thread!

I am sure it will shock many who have not seen it already – tonight 8pm!

Edski777
    Participant

Marcus,

Some of the demands by Ryanair personnel apparently leaked out already. They were published in Dutch newspapers online today.

Still, very interesting to see what is coming up. Lets get back here around 10:30 tonight.

Bucksnet
    Participant

It’s starting…

Bucksnet
    Participant

Oh dear! Can’t wait for part 2 and the deletion of ‘black box’ evidence.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Some pilots are on zero hours contracts!

Xuluman
    Participant

Just wondering if this documentary put off any RYR pax from flying with them again?

Bucksnet
    Participant

I’ve not flown with them for years and probably never will again, unless I really need to. Their poor labour practices put me off years ago, but safety is the most important aspect of all.

pdwtrip
    Participant

Looks like legal action / publicity surge on the way:

http://www.e-tid.com/ryanair-takes-legal-action-against-channel-4/84128/

MarcusUK
    Participant

I watched the Dutch program, but this clearly was based on that, with an adaptation. Different people were in the program. In the Dutch version aired about 6 months ago, there was far more said, bullying allegations, pilots paying for fuel with their own credit cards.
    Some pilots were sleeping in the airport aircrew rest lounges on chairs pulled together. Several talked about being unable to afford normal living expenses, not knowing what they would earn. Many rented properties and appeared to have quite a lonesome poor standard of living.

Much more was said of a more grave nature, but it came from pilots, whom the program makers had certified were employed by Ryanair.
    The evidence was pretty clear, and very concerning. Much more than came out last eve, i thought it was rather weak!

Ryanair, will make noises and have plenty cash to sue, as they did in Holland, but this will only draw more attention to what has been shown. Sure the program makers also, can evidence the genuine sources and prove it was not sensationalist but factual. The Spanish Authorities reports on incidents, are a matter for them to conclude, not Ryanair.

I am sure a Court would not find their objections against the evidence, very tangible!
    No, I would not choose Ryanair, and haven’t for many years. Treating staff as they do, concerns with customer care, charges, attitudes to disabled travellers etc… Neither do i need to fly to airports in the middle of nowhere.
    I do not support such Companies, treating people as they do, and with the attitudes they have.

Edski777
    Participant

This is actually the same line of defense Ryanair used with the earlier broadcast on Dutch television.
    The FR claim that the European pilot association is made up from pilots from airlines like KLM, Air Lingus, etc. is correct as Ryanair actively discourages pilots to become a member or playing a role. Pilots with FR claim that joining a Union will result in their contracts not being renewed. And as the labour market for pilots is pretty tense and pilots generally have typically run up very high debts in getting certified they have no option but to adhere to the 18th century labour rules FR has inplace. No company that has a normal relationship with its workforce would be this restrictive.
    If people working for FR are enjoying their job they will be ambassadors for their company and no management would be so afraid of them talking to the press.
    To say that pilots have an option, take it or leave, is false as they will have a very hard time finding another job in today’s aviation market.

I wonder if Ryanair has the guts to take C4 to court. They have tried it before in the Netherlands earlier this year and lost.
    I truly believe that with all the negative publicity it is about time FR becomes a more mature company with a responsible and equally mature management. FR will have to come to terms with the fact that ultimately the practices shown by C4 and Dutch Television, together with all the negative comments in magazines, newspapers and on forums like this, will not go away by denial only.
    FR has to take action to correct this and work on their image.
    Ultimately the “we don’t give a rats ass about what you think” attitude will turn itself against them.

It’s about time that the regulators step in and investigate the allegations. In the mean time we can only hope that he starts treating his personnel in a 21th century fashion. Maybe the EU should look into the FR labour practices.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 90 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls