Qatar Airways: OneWorld shambles

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 173 total)

• Tallinnman
    Participant

I can’t ‘get over’ the business case for QR joining OW now that the lounge issues got me thinking about it in more detail. I know, get a life and it’s great to have more choices for earning/redeeming miles / TP’s etc within OW.

All the ‘major’ players in OW have significant point to point traffic to/from or within their own geographic area, eg CX with HKG and China/Asia, AA with US etc. Therefore they have extensive lounge facilities within their geographic area and in many overseas locations feeding into it.

QR certainly see themselves as a major player? What’s QR’s home market? They haven’t got one and as far as I can see and yet they operate 4 lounges world wide of which 3 are only accessible by their own pax actually flying F or C. Great cost saving!

Their ‘home’ market is to pilfer existing traffic from global point to point carriers to their well located home hub of DOH through a mixture of undercutting fares and offering ‘regional’ departures. Do they offer a better product than the rest of OW? I believe QR think they do and as part of OW their appeal will be broadened over other non aligned neighbours.

I’ve been in 3 out of their 4 lounges and been decidedly underwhelmed and on the 4 flights I’ve taken have encountered a mix of enthusiastic and mediocre crew. The private car transfers worked well, an enjoyable novelty in many ways.

They now have access to an excellent range of lounges around the world through OW membership and all they bring to the party in return is access to the LHR Skyteam Lounge and the Oryx Lounge in DOH.

Great deal for QR and no wonder their representative has gone quiet.

Of course the big question is what will happen when the new airport opens.

TheMidasGold
    Participant

Happy to end the debate. Just transited through DOH and OW emeralds are now permitted access to the First lounge in the Premium Terminal in line with OW policy. The staff were very gracious and understanding and apologetic for my last experience!

Great service recovery QR.

cityprofessional
    Participant

@travelworld +1 – not sure what the fuss is about

@Ian from HKG, have you actually been to the alternative lounges? The Skyteam lounge at LHR (and the MH lounge) are excellent alternatives – far better than the BA equivalents. And the QR lounge is exceptional, but small. Status and premium class pax get far better lounges than almost any other airline in OW, with the possible exception of the F lounges in HKG and SYD

@The Midas Gold – lucky you! I was there a few hours before you, and it was strictly J lounge still. While it was busy and the service haphazard, the DOH J terminal is still miles better than the various BA FLounges at LHR – what dirty, messy dumps with surly service (assuming you can attract anyone’s attention) and slop masquerading as food…

@Tallinnman. Sorry your flights were not good. My sample of 4 sectors in J were outstanding this week – better than EK in F, especially the newer J seats on the Boeings

Overall I’m really pleased that QR is in OW. As a bmi refugee with relatively frequent SE Asia travel considering my alliance allegiance going forward, QR and MH, their flight frequencies, inflight and ground service, and reasonable premium fares are really tipping the balance away from Star to OW

stevescoots
    Participant

QR are still using the rubbish travellers lounge in HKG, I currently using the QF lounge for my QR flight as OW sapphire

farmerslodge
    Participant

I’m somewhat confused still by QA joining one world – why can’t I book one carrier outbound and another inbound i.e. BA to LHR then QA back to DOH on the same booking. Neither airline is showing the others on their websites as AA/BA etc. Maybe I’m confused but I thought this was one of the bonuses of an alliance.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

The confusion increases. Although the oneworld site still says the Premium Lounge at LHR T4 is excluded, here is a quotation directly from QR’s main website page on lounges:
    “More a boutique hotel or private club, the London Heathrow Premium Lounge for Qatar Airways and oneworld First and Business Class passengers is a venue where spending time is a pleasure.”

WTF is going on???

Inthesandpit
    Participant

I am totally confused…
    Perhaps someone can enlighten me to a few aspects which are confusing me.
    For the last 10 years I have restricted myslef when flying longhaul to QR and their destinations as it has been mostly for pleasure.

This week however i am due to travel DXB-IAD-LHR due to the late notice of the trip i am probably going to have to fly with BA in J (no seats being available on QR).

1) Do i get AVIOS and BA Tier points as well as QR Q miles and Tier points, or do i have to choose which one?
    2) What lounge can i use in LHR?

I am a QR Platinum member (OW Emerald)

Thanks everyone

first_class_please
    Participant

BCAL – you choose which account you want the Tier Points / Miles with.

Either QR or BA. Not both. As a QR Platinum, i would suggest you collect them on QR.

in LHR if you are flying BA, then it is Terminal 5, so you would get access to the First Class lounge as a OW Emerald, or any of the Business class lounge.

Note the First class lounge is NOT the Concorde Room, which is for First class passengers.

Inthesandpit
    Participant

First Class
    Thanks for the uselful info

JasmineBear
    Participant

@ TheMidasGold

Still an omni shambles. Transited through Doha on Friday 28th, arrived in premium terminal and despite protestations as an Emerald OW holder on J Class connecting flight, was denied access to F lounge and directed to business class lounge.

It’s the inconsistency that’s the most frustrating bit.

TabTraveller
    Participant

@Ian
    Noticed this myself yesterday. Seems strange to adhere to the OW rules for those flying in premium cabins (in essence restricted to MH pax out of T4) but not top tier FFs. Am flying with QR on Thurs so will explore the situation and report back!

Inthesandpit
    Participant

one last question or two guys
    The company has now booked me on BA, QR was full.
    The system has allocated my AVIOS card number to the booking. As it is beneficial for me to collect Q Points and Q Miles how do i change the card number – or do i have to do this at check in?.
    Secondly when checking the Q Miles calculator the tier points and Q miles i will collect travelling BA are a lot less than if i had travelled QR – is this normal?
    Once again thanks for your patience.
    Quite frighteningly i noticed on the BA executive club web site i have been a member since 1989 – eeek

rodders
    Participant

JasmineBear
    Agree I was transiting thru Doha on Sat 29th, arriving as a regional F Class passenger, and departing as long haul J, and am a BA Gold List holder, immediate answer was Business Class lounge, (the way round this is to say I wish to use the business centre, which is next to the F lounge and then just slip in! Having been based in Doha for the past few years, the ability of the lounge staff to deviate, unless an edict has come from the CEO is zero, so still a learning curve for QR of being part of a wider global club!!

IstanbulWarrior
    Participant

@rodders
    I always use the F lounge at the Premium Terminal even though I usually travel in J and am OW Sapphire. I always say I need to use the Business Centre, loiter inside for a bit then go to the First Class lounge. It’s quite easily actually.

first_class_please
    Participant

BCAL, ask your travel agent to take out the BA card they have on record and put in your BA number.

Failing that, just go to http://www.ba.com go to Manage My Booking and update the details yourself. Very easy.

Also yes, your home airline generally provides bonus miles based on your card status, which you do not then get when travelling on a partner airline.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 173 total)
This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.
The topic ‘Qatar Airways: OneWorld shambles’ is closed to new replies.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls