Possible new rail link LHR LGW

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 101 total)

• NTarrant
    Participant

Stowage222 – you are incorrect to say that Easybus are not allowed on this route. Long distance express coach services were deregulated in 1980 and any properly licensed bus operator can start a service. Easybus obviously don’t feel there is a market for another operator.

The operating environment is extremely hard and costly which is why no other operator competes with NX on the route. The M25 is unpredictable and a journey which should take an hour can take double or more which results in additional resources and costs to maintain the service.

It is expensive for what it is but the alternative is less convenient and time consuming.

MrMichael
    Participant

Back in the eighties one could take a helicopter from LHR to LGW and vice versa. It was operated when I used it once by British Caledonian. I think it finished in the late eighties for two main reasons. Too many complaints from people living under the flight path, it did not make any money. It was fast and reliable and as I recall took around twenty minutes gate to gate and had dedicated easy to get to gates at both ends. It went I think every 75 minutes. I used it only once, it was not cheap, it was noisy, but by golly it was fun. It carried around twenty people as I recall, but no doubt others know the technical details, I do not.

Like Concorde, I felt it was a retrograde step when it finished, particularly as no viable alternative was on the cards. The M25 was just finished and was seen as a fast alternative, however even then the Department for Transport knew that the M3 to M4 part of the motorway would struggle to cope with demand in the future.

It it a viable alternative now? Well I am sure like all aircraft they can be made a lot quieter now. For premium passengers it would I am sure be attractive in the sense of time reliability etc, however it adds another sector if using LHR/LGW as a hub.

My brother in law regularly flys from Grand Cayman to Singapore via Europe. He used to use LGW as a transit point, it was just two sectors. However with the smoking ban including a total ban for transit pax, he now does GCM-MIA-And either FRA or CDG so he can have a smoke between flights. If LHR ..LGW want to be transit options they need to consider that. Although less and less people are smokers, a significant number of people are, and if that significant number choose to not transit in the UK for that reason, then perhaps that should be looked at.

Chardie
    Participant

I get a taxi from a company I found online, it costs 50GBP each way fixed price which I think is OK all things considered.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

For me the overriding factor would be the M25 traffic problems which happen so often that I would not risk it.

Gatwick Express to Victoria, underground to South Kensington, change and the Piccadilly line right through to LHR. I just checked on the Trainline.com and it’s from £24.60 and takes 1’ 28″. Without bags I think this is a “no brainer”!

SimonS1
    Participant

I suspect the level of aircraft movements at LHR and LGW over the last 30 years mean the reintroduction of a helicopter is a non runner.

rjhcambs
    Participant

LP
    Rather than changing underground at South Ken, I suggest you change to the Piccadilly line at Hammersmith where it is a cross platform change rather than going down and down at South Ken. The only problem is that Hammersmith can get busy with other interchange pax so when you arrive at the previous stop, Barons Court, and it looks as if it has a cross platform change, I would do jump out there!

Tallinnman
    Participant

Last had to use this coach service on the day T5 opened as I jumped ship to a BA flight from LGW – I was shocked at £18 back then.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Only ever used the BCal Helicopters LGW/LHR service once owing to a forgotten passport left behind in Crawley… Ouch!

It’s my recollection that the helo service was put in place as an interim measure so that BCal could get transfer pax ex-LHR and vice versa and before the M25 long-term car park was built. This was a part of the then UK government’s efforts to promote competition between UK carriers.

BigDog.
    Participant

The cheapest and not overly slow way was EasyBus to LHR Earls Court /Kensington then connect with EasyBus to LGW.

Methinks Easy lost their rights with LHR so now can only operate the LGW-Earls Court leg for £4.

EasyBus also offers very reasonably priced connections to LTN and STN.

http://www.easybus.co.uk/

Clearly the National Express monopoly for LHR-LGW direct is fleecing passengers because they can.

canucklad
    Participant

Didn’t fully comprehend the cost of a ticket…….
    Not sure how many seats are in a coach, but lets say 60, and now lets say their only ever ½ full……That equates to a staggering £ 750 a trip…….And there must be at least 12 trips a day. Easy money if you can get it. Between this service and the Heathrow Hoppa they really are rolling in it. And presumably at our foreign guests expense !!
    Oh, and if your flight is late arriving they’ll kindly let you change your ticket. For a fee.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I guess the sensible strategy is to check how busy the 23/25 are when I arrive. As its likely to be after 9am…. and I have plenty of time…..

I think there is a board showing how busy the motorways are in real time..

I really don’t fancy changing trains/tubes… and on this occasion would prefer to take the coach…. but will check on arrival….

Thanks for your help everyone….

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Interesting article on today’s Mail Online

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2729628/The-cheapest-way-to-airport-Public-transport-How-express-train-services-costing-holidaymakers-419-22-faster.html

showing how public transport to/ from LHR/LGW is much cheaper than the expresses and how expensive London is compared to other European cities for getting to the airport.

Martyn, I used this service often when BA flights from LUX landed at LGW. The fare has obviously increased as the last time I did it I only paid about £20 lol

On the plus side, the schedule is frequent, the coach is comfortable and T5 will be your first stop.

Usually takes about 40 minutes but on one occasion I did miss a flight from LGW and it wasn’t because I was running late!

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Does anyone know what the status of the Heathrow Express will be once Crossrail has been completed, providing connections from both east and west?

According to Crossrail’s website

http://www.crossrail.co.uk/news/articles/thousand-tonne-rail-flyover-launched-to-improve-connection-to-heathrow

QUOTE When the route to the west of London fully opens in 2019, Crossrail will significantly improve links between Heathrow and the capital’s main commercial and financial districts – the West End, the City and Canary Wharf. Passengers will be able to catch one train all the way through central London, reaching Bond Street in 26 minutes and Canary Wharf in 40 minutes. ENDS

Unless I have missed something glaringly obvious, I would have thought that this would comprehensively remove the rationale behind the Heathrow Express.

Thanks for link LP.

I didn’t know that a taxi from Arlanda is cheaper than the express train!

The only time I have taken a taxi from CDG, I was pleasantly surprised by the fare. Admittedly the traffic was good and I was going to the right side of town – Gare de L’Est.

Long live fixed fare airport taxis such as at JFK ($52 plus tip of course). Last month the journey took 90 minutes to Downtown.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 101 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls