Possible new rail link LHR LGW

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 101 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

” I think Tempelhof or Tegel has been closed for many years.”

Yes, Tempelhof was closed a couple of years ago but Tegel remains a bustling facility. Right now Tegel is, by far and away, Berlin’s main airport.

“Lots of little airports” may not make sense in the Berlin region where there is space to breathe and where transport links across town are efficient. But it makes sense in the London area because it is so congested and spread out.

ChrisBuda82
    Participant

It does make sense to have one big airport when LHR is not mainly for people to land and go in to London but to Fly on to else where.

LHR is just big HUB, I would say most normal people use Gatwick or other lowcost airports where the little spread out idea works.

I think if BA does not buy BMI they will use more capacity at Madrid, but due to delays at Madrid its the worst airport for delays I every been to.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Chris,

There also a few normal people who use LHR too 😉

Simon

MartynSinclair
    Participant

If airport transfers were easier and quicker, services could be spread.

It is pure guess work as to how long is needed for example Heathrow to Gatwick or Heathrow to Luton, all depends on time of day and the state of the M25.

If a solution to inter airport transfers can be engineered, then capacity levels could easily increase.

Gatwick, Biggin, Heathrow, Northolt and Luton.

ChrisBuda82
    Participant

Sorry if I was rude Simon use normal people do use LHR but most seem to use it as a HUB, They made the flight conections bigger at T5.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Chris,

You were not at all rude – I was only joking!

Simon

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Chris : “LHR is just big HUB, I would say most normal people use Gatwick or other lowcost airports where the little spread out idea works.”

Yes, LHR is a big hub but the number of transfer pax has declined in recent times. One reason is because other hubs (eg AMS, CDG, FRA, DXB, DOH) have grabbed a chunk of LHR’s transfer business over the past decade.

For example, the Glaswegian who might have flown GLA-LHR-SIN with BA might fly GLA-AMS-SIN with KL. Or the Dutchman who might have flown AMS-LHR-SYD with BA can now opt for EK and fly AMS-DXB-SYD.

But is the hub airport a bad thing ? After all, by encouraging more pax to fly through an airport, a city can justify more long-haul routes. In turn that encourages trade and inward investment for the city/country concerned.

Could the population of Frankfurt justify an airport the size of FRA ?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

transferring from Gatwick to Heathrow on Thursday morning…

Am I reading correctly, £25 by National Express coach….??

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Sounds about right. Crazy price. Take a taxi – or get train to Clapham and then go to Feltham. Much cheaper – nearly as quick and then get a taxi or bus to LHR.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

National Express clearly know their market… must be competition free…

Thanks for the advice Tim… for the savings, probably not worth it…. will take the coach… hope the 23/25 are clear though..

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ MartynSinclair – 19/08/2014 15:42 GMT

On the basis of recent trips to/from mother in Crawley from NW London, I really would check up on M25/23 traffic conditions before you set out – and have the alternative rail options via Feltham up your sleeve just in case. Some days, the M25 anywhere between Heathrow and the M3/A3 section can resemble a car park.

canucklad
    Participant

Another option is train to an Underground station and then Paddington and the HEX ?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Thanks Anthony, Canucklad and Tim – will check how busy the motorways are – but would prefer a direct approach to getting to LHR rather than a couple of trains and a bus!

First time I have done this without a taxi as I only have hand baggage. Amazed there is only 1 direct option….and the cost!!

Stowage222
    Participant

Martyn, somehow National Express have been ‘allowed’ to run a monopoly on the LHR/LGW route and since then they basically name their price. You should remind everyone that it’s £25 ONE WAY!

You’ll also note Easybus isn’t allowed on this route but such a service is desperately needed.

Anyone know how this is allowed to go on? It’s been a hobbyhorse of mine for years.

SimonS1
    Participant

The train isn’t a viable option – HEX is £21 single on its own (£26 if you pay on board). Add in the cost of the train to London and the tube and you are at around £35. Not to mention lugging bags on and off trains and tubes.

Still at least there is one amount – if we adopted airline tactics it would be £20 plus a fuel charge of £5 and a credit card charge as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 101 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls