Possible new rail link LHR LGW

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 101 total)

• goalie11
    Participant

LP – I liked the link and the research but it’s a little flawed in that the Edinburgh taxi fare from airport to city is not £35 but around £18 at worst. I can get a taxi from the airport to my home 18 miles to the southeast of Edinburgh for £30. I just wonder how reliable the rest of the data is.

I have travelled the original route on this thread a couple of times and was also shocked at the NE price. I generally take the Southern or First Connect services to Central London (you can get one stop services) and connect to LU to LHR but I do appreciate the thoughts on carrying luggage and just making it easy. Provided you have the time to do so.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I can only verify that the train fares to Lisbon, Amsterdam and Geneva are correct. You could add Zurich to the list where the train fare is about the same as Geneva.

Many hotels in Geneva give you a free public transport voucher for your stay, and this includes the journey to the airport. It’s very useful and a worthwhile benefit.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I can only verify that the train fares to Lisbon, Amsterdam and Geneva are correct. You could add Zurich to the list where the train fare is about the same as Geneva.

Many hotels in Geneva give you a free public transport voucher for your stay, and this includes the journey to the airport. It’s very useful and a worthwhile benefit.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

LP – we should also add that, as you leave the baggage hall at GVA there is a machine that will give you a free ticket for onward travel from the airport to anywhere in the central Geneva travel zone – so it is not the case that the fastest travel is just cheaper than the taxi – it not just cheaper, it is free. You say “many hotels” give the transport voucher, but I believe it is all hotels. The cost of the transport voucher is included in the hotel tax.

The Copenhagen train (or metro, or bus) fare looks correct but if you buy a three-zone clip-card (whch will give ten journeys to cover your travel within Copenhagen and get you back to the sirport) the cost of each journey comes down to £2.15.

I could not scroll down the table to see if Prague was included – that has to be the best bargain. 32 CZK (~ £1) gets you on the 119 bus to Dejvická metro station and then metro, bus or tram to anywhere in Prague. Lash out on a 110 CZK ticket and you have paid for all your travel all day.

transtraxman
    Participant

@AnthonyDunn 20/8 16.27hrs.

As I understand it, Crossrail will take over the Heathrow Connect services to Paddington and run them through central London but still as a stopping train, increasing the frequency to 4tph.
    On the other hand Heathrow Express will still be non-stop from Heathrow Central (T2 & T3) to Paddington only.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello LP

There continue to be inaccuracies in the chart.

In the case of Edinburgh, there is no mention of the tram service which operates right from the city centre to the airport. Yes it is expensive but it does provide a direct link.

But there is a major error in the case of Krakow, Poland. The survey quotes a fare for the “Express train.”

But this photo, taken from yesterday’s twitter feed for Krakow airport shows that the rail link won’t be open for quite some time !

https://twitter.com/KrakowAirport/status/501649332404498432/photo/1

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Hi Alex

Also Lisbon Airport doesn’t have a train/metro/tram stop – only bus services or a taxi so not sure what they meant for this.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Good point, Tim.

All I can think of is that it may refer to a combined bus/metro transfer into town. I haven’t used LIS for many years that’s why I didn’t query it.

I have only ever taken the bus or a taxi on arrival at Lisbon, but it does appear that there is a metro station:

http://www.ana.pt/en-US/Aeroportos/lisboa/Lisboa/PlanYourTrip/Public-Transport/Pages/Public-Transport.aspx

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Hi Alexpo1

That must be new – and it wasn’t mentioned on the other airport website I was looking at. Haven’t flown there for 4 years – so very good to know as I go to Oriente and get train up to Coimbra / Luso. Have flown in 10/15 times before so did know it well.

Reminds me – about ruddy time I went back and visited my friends there!

Exactly Tim. I haven’t been to my favourite city in the past 2-3 years and I miss it like mad!

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Alexpo, Tim et al – Lisbon airport certainly does have a metro station and very efficient it is too. I have used it many times in the last year. There are plenty of ticket machines, helpful staff (of course – this is Portugal) and the service is frequent.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Landed and off the aircraft at 9.35, with only hand luggage. Based on the arrival time I chose …..

National Express coach @ £25.00. I did ask at the taxi kiosk for the cost by taxi…. answer £91.00 !!!

Coach arrived at 10.10 at the south terminal. By the time we left the north terminal it was 10.20.

There was traffic on the M25 and the 50 minutes turned into 1 hour, with delivery to the arrivals section of T5.

A taxi would not have made it much quicker and I really didn’t fancy the train and underground.

Now in the T5 lounge, my usual spot has been taken up by a couple of guys turning the sofa into a bed!!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Landed and off the aircraft at 9.35, with only hand luggage. Based on the arrival time I chose …..

National Express coach @ £25.00. I did ask at the taxi kiosk for the cost by taxi…. answer £91.00 !!!

Coach arrived at 10.10 at the south terminal. By the time we left the north terminal it was 10.20.

There was traffic on the M25 and the 50 minutes turned into 1 hour, with delivery to the arrivals section of T5.

A taxi would not have made it much quicker and I really didn’t fancy the train and underground.

Now in the T5 lounge, my usual spot has been taken up by a couple of guys turning the sofa into a bed!!

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Alex @ 09.33 – there is an existing rail link to the airport at Krakow but it was woeful – I believe the line was due to be closed earlier this year for the link to be upgraded, and I do not know if the picture on the Twitter report is on the route of the old line, or on a new site. The railway was originally built for military purposes, and was very unreliable. It once left me stranded on Kraków G?ówny station.

That main raliway station in Krakow is, incidentally, a prime example of the stupidity that can afflict design of travel facilities. The station was refurbished, the designers concetrated on making the station look good and putting shops in prominant positions and shifted the taxi rank a long way away. I believe it has now been brought back.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 101 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls