New British Airways Ad

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)

• RichHI1
    Participant

Just to clarify; was the litle girl forced to check her carry on as she could not comply with “You must be able to lift the bag into the overhead locker unaided.”? Or does this advert herald a forthcoming getting tough on carry on policy? 🙂

simmy700
    Participant

Two reasons why BA have probably chosen this advert. First one is obviously it has an olympic theme to which they are a major sponsor of. The second is all to do with baggage and how their baggage performance has improved so much since moving to T5. I would imagine that the rest of the advertising campaign to be shown on billboards and in the newspapers will focus on baggage performance. Just my thoughts. Personally I really like it. Much better than the last advert.

RichHI1
    Participant

simmy700 fair point, the disaster of the opening of T5 have been left behind though it is still way behaind T3 baggage handling which on AA/JAL is some of the fastest I have seen anywhere in the world.

One interesting point is the chosen bags/pax S Africa, Brazil, USA and Japan exclude all European destinations which is a stretch on the Olympic Theme given the German and Russian performances in the medal tables. Presumably this shows a focus on long haul rather than short haul. I wonder if they will produce a euro version for the EUropean market in the run up to the Olympics.

One question, why, if they are major sponsors of the Olympics do they not credit this at the end of the ad? You would expect BA proud sponsors of the 2012 London Olympics to appear on the tag line. If they had done this then the ad would have made sense.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Just had another peak of this on youtube and its much better 2nd time round so give it a go. Also read the reponse to the comments on the bottom by BA “This particular advert showcases teamwork and how we’re ready to welcome the world to Britain in 2012.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1n-9-6ULjHY

xx

simmy700
    Participant

I am guessing that they have chosen flights of similar flight times as the theme is it is a race? . Maybe the longhaul destinations are a bit more appealing/exotic?, or to show the fact that BA fly to those places? rather than easyjet/ryaniar who do most of europe?.

I don’t have the figures to compare terminals at LHR. All I can say is that when I go through T5 my bag is usually waiting for me or if not then I don’t wait long. My only experience of T3 in the last 12 months on AA was not good in terms of baggage delivery and don’t get me started on immigration!

Totally agree with you RichHI1 about creding the end of the ad with the olympics.

RichHI1
    Participant

appealing/exotic maybe… Just thinking about the olympics Japan and Brazil or for that matter S Africa do not always come across as big medal winners. They should have had Jamaica and Kenya in there along with our Russian friends. My dark sense of humour suggests they shoudl have dope tested … no I am not going there…

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Rich u ok hun u seem down recently xxx

RichHI1
    Participant

Yeah life has kind of sucked recently but “that which does not kill us makes us stronger” as Nietzsche said.

Binman62
    Participant

New ad available to view at

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/olympics-2012-flights/public/en_gb?source=home&openxzoneid=302&openxcampaign=brandtvad&openxbanner=10805&openxtype=click

Now, as with all BA ads look bright and shiny and certainly well made. The baggage systems feature heavily and it is all about the Olympic readiness.

The tag line is

We’re Ready……

I for one hope they are.

The problem is the same claim was made for the opening of T5 and via the perfect storm of BAA incompetence and various own goals by BA it was shown that they very definitely were not ready.

This is a bold and very brave campaign.

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

After a faltering start, maybe just nosing it right at the end of the ad could imply they’re confident of getting it right on the last day.

KeaneJohn
    Participant

Some of the comments here have made me laugh especially the ones about checking in carry on luggage.

I have to say its a bit cringeworthy as the UK will not win hardly any medals compared to the rest of the world.

Being a bit pedantic when I watched the ad tonight I noticed that the baggage tages from NRT and the USA have green lines around them ie ex EU arrivals so not from those places..

HonestCrew
    Participant

Binman’s comparison to the opening of LHR T5 is spot on.

At private viewings of the new ad at the BA crew centre, the closing statement of “WE’RE READY” just brought a wave of sarcastic comments and wry smiles, justifiably with the farce of T5 still etched into everyone’s minds. The bods doing the presentation were genuinely taken aback. At head office nobody dares criticise projects such as these for fear of not showing a ‘can-do’ attitude. There are still plenty of the ‘yes men’ who messed up the T5 opening in office at Ivory Towers so it doesn’t inspire confidence internally.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I watched it again to see if you’re right Becky. Still find it cringeworthy. On the second watch my son asked if it was an advert for Samsonite!!!

RichHI1
    Participant

KeaneJohn there are a number of oddities, like the Brazilian baggage tags are not plastic such as are used in Brazil and the tags change on the Brazilian bag from shot to shot.
    What I fin odd is that most times I have seen this on Discover channel, they cut the front off and start with pushing the Brazilian (Portuguese) carousel button. You then wonder who is this little girl because you do not see anyone else. Also If Brazilian, US, Japanese and S African are flying from their own countries (even with EU green stripes) where is UK bag coming from? DO they have widebody service with ife from MAN or GLA now?
    Alos interesting to make the US and Japanese bags look like the airline colours, they used a German Rimowa suitcase for the US bag. I suppose their marketeers did not not know about zero haliburton which are the US brand for metallic cases.

HonestCrew
    Participant

The little girl is just waiting for her bag to be retrieved after her flight was cancelled due to a snowflake falling at LHR.

“We’re Ready!”… fingers crossed.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls