New BA/Oneworld Baggage Rules

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 101 total)

• Anonymous

SGJNI1961
    Participant

Reported over on HFP that BA/OW will no longer interline bags if travelling on two PNRs, even if you are transferring from one BA flight to another BA flight! ALL bags will have to be collected and rechecked!!!!! Kind of wrecks minimum connecting times and is very silly.

Travellator
    Participant

So I book a flight LHR to LAX say for September but dont book the MAN to LHR leg until later all on BA so have to collect bags at LHR after arrival at Domestic T 5 cart them out re check in at T5 and go through security etc again ?

Whats the reason ?

TheRealBabushka
    Participant

CX has formalised this new OW policy with its travel agents but have explicitly made exceptions for CX and KA flights. Refer to the link below.

How do you know BA has not made an exception for its own flights?

My understanding is that this impacts OW connections and not a carrier’s own flights, where two separate PNRs are involved.

http://www.cxagents.com/cxa/gc/en_HK/ln2

Travellator
    Participant

Head For Points , although how accurate they are may be dubious.

We travelled from a BA region a week ago on a longhaul BA and bags were translined with no problem. Our return is tomorrow so will report back then.

It does seem incredible though !

Ah-Mahdi
    Participant

It says the rule started from 2/6 but I had flown on the 5/6 and Qatar transferred my luggage to BA without any problems , 2 different tickets, for the 1st time ever my luggage had 2 tags as the 1st tag hasn’t enough space for all the transfers 🙂

SimonS1
    Participant

@TheRealBabushka – their announcements don’t indicate any explicit exception. To the contrary section 2 suggests otherwise…

http://www.britishairways.com/assets/pdfs/updates/oneworld-through-check-in.pdf

StephenLondon
    Participant

BA-BA JFK-LHR-NCE worked no problem early June. I have heard other people are having issues, however, and they are being denied through baggage when flying on more than one PNR.

I can understand some of the reasoning behind the decision, especially to the bean counters that run some of the oneworld airlines. Do these looneys ever travel, apart from a fortnight in an all-inclusive once per annum? I believe it will end up hurting more than it will help oneworld carriers. In fact, I believe it is a bizarre course of action to undertake – an easy way to really annoy customers.

Not everyone is able to travel on a single ticket. Some passengers combine mileage and revenue tickets, for example, where availability does not exist, say, on European sectors but does on long-haul. Others book long-haul segments to cement the dates they may be travelling to a region or country, but need to book additional tickets to visit more local markets at a point in time closer to travel, once appointments are fixed.

Do oneworld really believe pax will wait to book everything under one ticket? Instead, they want pax to enter a transit country, retrieve bags, go through customs and then check their bags in again, and leave the country within an hour of entering it? What a hassle for the customer. And to change their procedure quietly with no real notice shows they are worried about their actions. Some customers have booked tickets knowing what policy has been…but have now been denied the benefit through stealth.

Oneworld is definitely NOT the alliance that revolves around the customer…! Tsk tsk.

SimonS1
    Participant

If you book a ticket I believe it is possible to add later-bought tickets into the same PNR.

It can be done at most BA ticket desks and call centres for either £15 or £40 depending on whether it is a new booking or adding two together.

WillieWelsh
    Participant

Fortunately this is something I never do but I can see it causing a lot of grief and anger in the coming months.

The BA document is laughable.

I love point three – the policy was brought in ten years ago to make things easier for the customer

Point 3A is missing, it is being withdrawn to make things more difficult.

Bottom line, we don’t have to so we won’t.

How much further to the bottom? It can’t be far.

BA744fan
    Participant

Seriously angry now as am travelling home from Bali later in the year with 2 young children. Had to book 2 tickets as using 2-4-1 and have to be on BA metal so connecting flights are on separate booking. Arrive in HKG at 2105 and now have to drag kids through immigration, collect bags and check in again. Long journey home at the end of a dream holiday. Really don’t need the extra stress and hassle.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

I wonder if an airline can impose such a change in regulations retrospectively?

They may not be part of the terms and conditions of the contract, but in the case of some posters here, would seem to be a candidate for implied terms and conditions.

Perhaps Ian from HK may pass by and share an opinion.

SimonS1
    Participant

@BA744fan….or call BA and have both sets of flights put on the same PNR. You might have an argument for a free change bearing in mind the process has changed post-booking.

BrotherJim
    Participant

All, think you will find the change means OW airlines don’t have to interline with each other on seperate PNR’s. That doesn’t mean they have actually stopped doing it. This has been disucussed on the Australian Business Traveller website and the general concensus is no OW airlines has annouced they will cease the practice.

And FDOS_UK, when you buy your ticket there is nothing on that ticket that says the airlines will get you and your bags onto a 3rd party flight on a seperate PNR. The ticket and hence your contract says they will get you and your bags from a to b (maybe via C), but nothing about seperate PNR interlining.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

BrotherJim – 17/06/2016 06:08 BST

What part of ‘implied’ did you miss?

Some posters booked with a particular airline, because of a policy that they would interline bags with certain alliance partners and now that policy has been changed, thus I wonder if there is an implied term and condition?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 101 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls